• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CB free agents

ncfan

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am of this mindset---we drafted 2 CBs--they need to play--so let them.  Sorta like Bradberry and Worley a few years back.

Bring in a Cockrell, and does that mean Pride goes to the bench? 

There were so many years when Rivera did not know what he had in the offseason because he did not play developing players.

If we have Jackson, Pride, Oliver. and maybe Burris and Corn---(I am not convinced that Burris returns to CB--but he could)--put em out there.

Up front, we need to do the same with Brown (we will) and Gross-Matos.  We need to start Chinn.  Roy--part of the rotation.  Robinson?  Yes--by all means--play him a lot.

Real World Update:  That is how you develop talent--do not bury them--play them.  Vets may be a good influence and helpful, but they are competitors.  Their job is not to groom their replacements, but it makes for good theater.  It is dog eat dog.  Coaches develop players--not teammates.  How many WRs blossomed here when Smitty was the #1 WR?  Since Moose was already here---the answer is ZERO.  How many LTs blossomed behind Gross?  Centers behind Kalil?  It sounds good, but it is nonsense.  They help you by making you compete with them--they are not there to teach you squat.

I want them to play as well, but want a vet presence in the room who can play along side them

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I want them to play as well, but want a vet presence in the room who can play along side them

Personnel-wise, we need another CB or even 2.  If we play the rookies---yes.  If we bury them as has been done in the past, I say take our lumps and throw them out there. 

Same page.

12 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am of this mindset---we drafted 2 CBs--they need to play--so let them.  Sorta like Bradberry and Worley a few years back.

Bring in a Cockrell, and does that mean Pride goes to the bench? 

There were so many years when Rivera did not know what he had in the offseason because he did not play developing players.

If we have Jackson, Pride, Oliver. and maybe Burris and Corn---(I am not convinced that Burris returns to CB--but he could)--put em out there.

Up front, we need to do the same with Brown (we will) and Gross-Matos.  We need to work Chinn into the offense.  Roy--part of the rotation.  Robinson?  Yes--by all means--play him a lot.

Real World Update:  That is how you develop talent--do not bury them--play them.  Vets may be a good influence and helpful, but they are competitors.  Their job is not to groom their replacements, but it makes for good theater.  It is dog eat dog.  Coaches develop players--not teammates.  How many WRs blossomed here when Smitty was the #1 WR?  Since Moose was already here---the answer is ZERO.  How many LTs blossomed behind Gross?  Centers behind Kalil?  It sounds good, but it is nonsense.  They help you by making you compete with them--they are not there to teach you squat.

Agree :100_Emoji_42x42:. If we were to sign a castoff from that list, I’d go with Darqueze Dennard. He’s young enough to add depth to the roster as a possible starter/backup and possibly revive his career on a short-term deal. We could add someone like him without seriously hampering the development of the young-uns IMO.

I would prefer Ross Cockrell being retained or getting a vet on a one or two year deal. With Donte Jackson's rookie contract halfway thru, we have to see if he's going to live up to a payday or if we're going to have to look at a new starter. I could live with Dennard for two seasons or maybe Kirkpatrick for a season.

Pride would be our CB#2 if a top-tier FA corner were to be brought in.  Oliver is TOO raw to see much playing time early on.  Put him on STs, rotate him in to get some snaps early in the season and then increase his snap counts as the season goes on.  Move Action Jackson to slot where he has help inside the hashes.  Jackson has to realize at some point technique trumps speed. Until then, he'll probably never take the next step.  As long as he continues to play sloppy thinking his speed can make up for his mistakes, he'll never be amount to much.

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Pride would be our CB#2 if a top-tier FA corner were to be brought in.  Oliver is TOO raw to see much playing time early on.  Put him on STs, rotate him in to get some snaps early in the season and then increase his snap counts as the season goes on.  Move Action Jackson to slot where he has help inside the hashes.  Jackson has to realize at some point technique trumps speed. Until then, he'll probably never take the next step.  As long as he continues to play sloppy thinking his speed can make up for his mistakes, he'll never be amount to much.

i'm going to reserve judgement on Jackson until I see what the new defensive scheme looks like. 

Rivera's scheme didn't really play to Bradberry or Jackson's strengths. Both have commented about not liking Rivera's soft conservative zone scheme. Bradberry has said he likes playing press man coverage but Ron hardly ever had him play press coverage.

I hope with Snow we don't have to watch our corners play 10 yards deep every snap only to get dink and dunked down the field every drive.

12 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

i'm going to reserve judgement on Jackson until I see what the new defensive scheme looks like. 

Rivera's scheme didn't really play to Bradberry or Jackson's strengths. Both have commented about not liking Rivera's soft conservative zone scheme. Bradberry has said he likes playing press man coverage but Ron hardly ever had him play press coverage.

I hope with Snow we don't have to watch our corners play 10 yards deep every snap only to get dink and dunked down the field every drive.

Bradberry had the build to be very effective at press coverage, but Jackson?  Jackson has chihuahua syndrome where his bark is much bigger than his bite.  He has the tools to be a very good corner, but I think he has to change his mentality, humble himself and put his trust in the coaches.  His public melt downs shows how much he has to mature.  Can a new coaching staff do that?  Possibly.  People can only change if they are willing to regardless of changing their surroundings.   

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Tramaine Brock is a name I keep seeing as a Panther target.  I'll pass on Dennard and Ryan because they played primarily in the slot.  Cockrell is a zone corner and I don't know if he fits the new defense.

Need that guy who can somewhat cover Jones, Evans and Thomas and I don't know that we are going to get him this year (Amukamara is probably your best chance).

You do know we have no slot corner on our team rn ? But you wanna pass on a good one . Lol 

Archived