• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CB free agents

ncfan

2 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

While I like Cockrell, I don’t think we bring him back.  It looks as though we are looking for guys who can play a little more man coverage in the Snow defense.  Cockrell is good in zone.  Horrible in man coverage. 

Not according to this report.

https://theriotreport.com/ross-cockrell-panthers-analysis-breakdown-cornerback/

15 minutes ago, BrizzMachete said:

Who ? There’s zero in free agency except for prince : you want us to trade for one ? 

You just said who I think is the best available.  If I'm looking at the other rosters in the division every one of them looks to be using the "big slot" type receiver that we could use Chinn/Burris on too.

#1 - Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Michael Thomas

#2 - Calvin Ridley, Chris Godwin, Emmanuel Sanders

#3 - Lequon Treadwell, Tyler Johnson and TreQuan Smith

3 hours ago, MMA said:

Yes, bc Cockrell is a JAG. Great attitude but attitude doesn’t make your team better on the field. Apple is top to bottom more talented. At one point and time, Apple was a stud for the Giants. 

What about right now? Cockrell was solid last year coming off a major injury. One could make a reasonable assumption that he will be better this year. 

I am for developing our rookies, just not for starting 4 of them on defense day one for the sake of development. Development doesn't have to exclusively come on just game days, even though that might be the best route. One or two of them, fine. Why not sign a vet to a one or two year deal? There is something to be said about veteran leadership even if these young bucks beat them out midseason. Minimal risk financially with more upsides than down. Our Offense has taken shape, now that we have OL depth. We are one more move away from a solid secondary. Get it.

Our new coaching staff had very specific position requirements; for the CB position the height requirement is 5’11’’ to 6’1’’ so knowing that, these players seem to be realistic possibilities for us.

AARON COLVIN, Texans – 6’0’’  

AKEEM KING, Seahawks – 6’3’’

AQIB TALIB, Dolphins - 6’1’’  

BRANDON WILIAMS, Cardinals – 6’0’’

KEVIN PETERSON, Cardinals – 6’0’’

DARQUEZE DENNARD, Bengals - 5’11’’

ELI APPLE, Saints - 6’1’’

JAMAR TAYLOR, Falcons – 5’11’’

LOGAN RYAN, Titans – 5’11’’

MORRIS CLAIBORNE, Chiefs – 6’0’’

DRE KIRKPATRICK, Bengals – 6’2’’

PRINCE AMUKAMARA, Bears – 6’0’’

B.W. WEBB, Bengals – 5’11’’

BEANDON CARR, Ravens – 6’0’’

Obviously we could have already signed one of these guys. Maybe the staff is biding their time to see if a guy they like better gets cut from another roster.  I have zero doubt by the time training camp comes around we will have another corner on the roster with starting potential.

27 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Our new coaching staff had very specific position requirements; for the CB position the height requirement is 5’11’’ to 6’1’’ so knowing that, these players seem to be realistic possibilities for us.

AARON COLVIN, Texans – 6’0’’  

AKEEM KING, Seahawks – 6’3’’

AQIB TALIB, Dolphins - 6’1’’  

BRANDON WILIAMS, Cardinals – 6’0’’

KEVIN PETERSON, Cardinals – 6’0’’

DARQUEZE DENNARD, Bengals - 5’11’’

ELI APPLE, Saints - 6’1’’

JAMAR TAYLOR, Falcons – 5’11’’

LOGAN RYAN, Titans – 5’11’’

MORRIS CLAIBORNE, Chiefs – 6’0’’

DRE KIRKPATRICK, Bengals – 6’2’’

PRINCE AMUKAMARA, Bears – 6’0’’

B.W. WEBB, Bengals – 5’11’’

BEANDON CARR, Ravens – 6’0’’

They also want track speed, 4.5 and lower.

DARQUEZE DENNARD is the guy I want. He mainly played slot, but could play outside. I do not know about his injuries, Jax had a deal and backed out.

Plus some rookies can be thrown to wolves and make it. CB is one of the spots if you start questioning yourself and lose confidence, it is over for you. No idea about which are Pride or Oliver, Id hate to ruin these guys cause Marty can not sign a 1 year stop-gap.   

58 minutes ago, Basbear said:

The other panther CB is a option too- Javien Elliot. Just like Cockrell he was solid and played in 40% of snaps. 

CB is one of spots that has talented players leftd. Need to sign a couple Vets and see how they fix. 

I think we re-sign him over Ross Cockrell 

Panthers should target these seven veteran free agents to plug remaining holes

CB Prince Amukamara

The Panthers took two cornerbacks on the third day of the draft — fourth-round pick Troy Pride and seventh-rounder Stantley Thomas-Oliver. But the fact that Pride immediately shot to the top of the depth chart tells you how thin they remain at the position. Amukamara was fairly solid in his three seasons with the Bears, which included a career-high coverage grade in 2018 by PFF. If the previous free-agent signings since Matt Rhule arrived are an indication, the Panthers would prefer to find guys who are under 30 and have reputations as good locker-room guys. At 30, Amukamara is on the edge of the age scale. But if Hurney could sign him to a one-year deal, Amukamara could be a stop-gap solution while giving Pride and Thomas-Oliver time to develop.

CB Dre Kirkpatrick

The Bengals released their first-round pick from 2012 in a cost-cutting move that saved them $8.2 million against the salary cap. The 30-year-old Kirkpatrick was limited to six games last season after a knee injury landed him on injured reserve. Kirkpatrick’s production has slipped the past couple of seasons and he’s never been a big ballhawk, with 10 interceptions and 65 pass breakups in 99 career games. But he’s an outside corner who may have to take a reduced deal after going unsigned during the first wave of free agency. 

https://theathletic.com/1787118/2020/05/01/panthers-should-target-these-seven-veteran-free-agents-to-plug-remaining-holes/

Archived