• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft Position Watch (Week 3 edition)

Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D.

Look, I know week 3 is very early to start thinking about the draft.  I get it. The team is 0-2, dead last in the power rankings, not favored in a single game for the rest of the season and just lost our main offensive weapon to injury.  Aside from watching the young team develop, many people are looking for something to root for this season.  Therefor, I will give you 10 games that directly impact the Panthers draft position for anyone interested.  If you are not interested, feel free to go read a post about Cam or uniform colors.  That being said:

The Panthers are currently tied with Atlanta for the first pick in the 2021 draft.  We are both 0-2 and have a SOS of .500.  The lower the SOS, the better when it comes to draft position.  Here are the top 10 games that will affect our current draft position. Highlighted is the team that needs to win the game. 

1)      Bears @ Falcons: Falcons (.500) are currently 0-2 and tied with the Panthers in current SOS.

2)      Titans @ Vikings: Vikings (.531) are currently 0-2.

3)      Lions @ Cardinals: Lions (.531) are currently 0-2.

4)      49ers @ Giants: Giants (.594) are currently 0-2.

5)      Dolphins @ Jaguars: Dolphins (.594) are currently 0-2.

6)      Buccaneers @ Broncos: Broncos (.594) are currently 0-2.

7)      Texans @ Steelers: Texans (.625) are currently 0-2. Even though there first round pick was traded, it is their record that determines the order. 

8)      Jets @ Colts: Jets (.625) are currently 0-2.

9)      Bengals @ Eagles: Bengals (.531) have a lower SOS than the Eagles (.594). Both teams are 0-2. A tie here would be the best case scenario.

10)   Washington @ Browns: Washington (.438) is currently 1-1 but has a lower current SOS than the Panthers.

1 minute ago, Captain Morgan said:

Say the Jets and Giants pick ahead of us, and we're third....do they stick with their young QBs, or build around them?  Lawrence could fall to us....unless someone (Jacksonville) trades up.

We'll see.

Jets 100% take Trevor...Giants are not dead set on a qb but I put it at 50/50 chance they take Trevor.

Giants have me wondering if Gettleman will be too prideful and pass to show that he was right about Daniels.

15 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

Say the Jets and Giants pick ahead of us, and we're third....do they stick with their young QBs, or build around them?  Lawrence could fall to us....unless someone (Jacksonville) trades up.

We'll see.

I don't think it matters. Whatever team who has the #1 pick will either take Trevor or get an absolute haul of picks to trade down if they don't need a QB. We need so so much between OL, LB, and DB the only way this works is if we get Trevor #1 or one of the other 2 QBs top 5. Whatever we do, I hope it doesn't involve trading our picks to move up. 

2 hours ago, jb2288 said:

I don't think it matters. Whatever team who has the #1 pick will either take Trevor or get an absolute haul of picks to trade down if they don't need a QB. We need so so much between OL, LB, and DB the only way this works is if we get Trevor #1 or one of the other 2 QBs top 5. Whatever we do, I hope it doesn't involve trading our picks to move up. 

Agreed...he is going #1 definitely 

4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

Look, I know week 3 is very early to start thinking about the draft.  I get it. The team is 0-2, dead last in the power rankings, not favored in a single game for the rest of the season and just lost our main offensive weapon to injury.  Aside from watching the young team develop, many people are looking for something to root for this season.  Therefor, I will give you 10 games that directly impact the Panthers draft position for anyone interested.  If you are not interested, feel free to go read a post about Cam or uniform colors.  That being said:

The Panthers are currently tied with Atlanta for the first pick in the 2021 draft.  We are both 0-2 and have a SOS of .500.  The lower the SOS, the better when it comes to draft position.  Here are the top 10 games that will affect our current draft position. Highlighted is the team that needs to win the game. 

1)      Bears @ Falcons: Falcons (.500) are currently 0-2 and tied with the Panthers in current SOS.

2)      Titans @ Vikings: Vikings (.531) are currently 0-2.

3)      Lions @ Cardinals: Lions (.531) are currently 0-2.

4)      49ers @ Giants: Giants (.594) are currently 0-2.

5)      Dolphins @ Jaguars: Dolphins (.594) are currently 0-2.

6)      Buccaneers @ Broncos: Broncos (.594) are currently 0-2.

7)      Texans @ Steelers: Texans (.625) are currently 0-2. Even though there first round pick was traded, it is their record that determines the order. 

8)      Jets @ Colts: Jets (.625) are currently 0-2.

9)      Bengals @ Eagles: Bengals (.531) have a lower SOS than the Eagles (.594). Both teams are 0-2. A tie here would be the best case scenario.

10)   Washington @ Browns: Washington (.438) is currently 1-1 but has a lower current SOS than the Panthers.

Are you cool doing this weekly? I'd love to be able to see this updated weekly all season, unless we somehow win a bunch of games and preemptively remove ourselves from the draft conversation (which would be great, but highly unlikely).

17 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Go Jaguars!  Jacksonville is still bad and would be a threat to draft Trevor. Miami is not drafting him unless Tua gets hurt again

I think by the end of the year neither team will be close to being bad enough for 1st overall so the point is probably moot, but I'm not sure it matters whether it's JAX or MIA 1st overall -- JAX would draft him and if Fins got the pick they'd trade out of the spot to the highest bidder which very well may not be us even if we're 2nd overall. We just need to hope we get 1st overall, and there are many teams that are bigger threats to sucking than JAX and MIA I think.

Archived