• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derrick Brown, massive top-10 bust

TheSpecialJuan

According to PFF :

DI DERRICK BROWN, CAROLINA PANTHERS

Week 2 overall grade: 33.0

Water is wet, the sky is blue and Derrick Brown will at least be a dominant run defender in the NFL — even if his pass-rush ceiling is an open question. These were the things we were sure of heading into the season, but through two games, Brown has confounded expectations and been a liability on an admittedly weak Panthers defense

This week, Brown graded a little better against the run — and by that I mean there were fewer negative grades overall — but any net gain was undone by a pair of poor penalties, one for a late hit and another for illegal use of hands

Brown’s lone threat of pass-rush pressure came on the play where he used illegal hands to the face to generate the leverage to create pressure, and he was otherwise blanked as a pass rusher despite 29 such snaps. Brown has had an ugly start to his NFL career, and his Week 2 performance was one of our rookie duds of the week

I'd really like to draft someone in the first round that actually can play NFL football without a 2-3 year development cycle. First round picks are not supposed to need THIS MUCH development.

I can understand teaching them more at the position, but he should be able to at least shed blocks and tackle a RB.

Archived