• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule on Joe Brady's progression

Jeremy Igo

14 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Brady is a really young, smart coach.  I love what I've seen, but a HC has to be a leader of men.  I've heard lots of good things about Brady, but I just don't think he's ready.  A couple more years, then sure.  

If I were Brady, I'd be careful about jumping on the first team that throws Rhule money at him.  There are only 32 NFL HC positions, and we've seen countless times good coaches get bounced out, get in over their heads, and ruin their careers.

This. If Brady is smart, he'll stay put for at least a few years and watch and learn. I don't think anyone thinks Tepper is gonna get stingy when it comes to paying his coaching staff, so it's not like he'll be working for peanuts. If I were him that's what I'd do, invest in your future instead of just the fastest payday. There's also a lot of wisdom in waiting for the right opportunity instead of just the first opportunity. Cleveland, the Jets, the Dolphins and the Jags are always gonna have a HC job open every few years, but given their organizational history, if you're Brady, are any of these the job you really want?

22 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I don't think he's been in the pros long enough to establish enough connections to put together a staff. Mcdermott had been in the league for over a decade, McVay was in the NFL for 7/8 years before getting a head coaching job so he had the connections. 

This is only Brady's second year in the NFL. I'm not sure he could put together a staff on his own just yet. 

How can it be 2 years when he was hired in January of this year.

1 hour ago, raz said:

you're telling me we open the second half with zylstra, roberts, and god knows who else on the field and get a first down on 1 play? wtf is happening here?   and there are a lot of players getting some time and experience that i don't think would ever see the field in past regimes w/out injury.  i just really like what's happening all the way around.  we're actually not stupid.  i'm really kinda in shock.  

Brady schemes guys wide open like few others I have ever seen.  Our offense has really reminded me of the Saints offense when they were really humming.

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

Nah I bet we have him for at least 2 maybe even 3 seasons. He’s so young and this is only his 2nd season coaching in the NFL. McDermott took awhile to get his first head coaching gig and we all knew he was talented. 

And here's what many aren't even considering: maybe Brady doesn't even want a HC job after this season.

It's obvious he has the ambition to be a HC some day, but it's very likely he wants to be ready when he gets it.  So, I could see the possibility that he wants to get more experience before making the jump.  It's true you have to strike while the iron is hot, but you also don't want to set yourself up for failure because you weren't ready.  While Brady is doing a wonderful job as OC right now, he is just two years removed from being just an offensive assistant and one year from co-offensive coordinator. 

Then add that this is an extremely unusual year with very little being done normally.  So he probably still needs to see a proper offseason before making the leap to HC.  I'm sure the last thing he wants is to fail at a job he was unprepared for, which could actually put him behind where he ultimately wants to be (see how Josh McDaniel's' horrific stint in Denver derailed how he is perceived as a potential HC).  I could easily see him wanting to get some more experience before taking on the full responsibility of the team himself. 

Let's keep in mind that this is Brady's first year calling plays at any level. At LSU, he was the "passing game coordinator", and as such I don't believe he was in charge of actually calling the plays. It would be quite the leap to be running an nfl program after just one year as an offensive coordinator. 

Brady was part of the Saints staff for the 2017 and 2018 seasons, so technically this is his third year as an NFL coach.

It's his first season as a full-fledged offensive coordinator at any level (he was passing game coordinator at LSU) and only his eighth season coaching in general. I definitely wouldn't look at him as an NFL head coach just yet.

Granted, teams do dumb things and stranger things have happened.

2 hours ago, joemac said:

Brady schemes guys wide open like few others I have ever seen.  Our offense has really reminded me of the Saints offense when they were really humming.

Oh we've seen it before, and you just mentioned where.

Sean Payton's play design is phenomenal. I'm not gonna say that Brady is at that level yet, but his play design is pretty good.

I wanna highlight one particular phrase that Rhule mentioned, that being "we went out expecting one defense and got another".

Can't help but feel like if our previous staff faced that situation, they'd have kept doing what they planned to do.

That we now adjust makes a huge difference.

You people who think Brady being light on experience and connections will stop an NFL team from scooping him up are fooling yourselves. 

Learned under one of the best offensive minds in football? Check

Produced really good results as an assistant coach? Check 

Young offensive wiz kids are the flavor these days. 

If Brady has us as a top 5 offense at the end of the season, I would not be shocked or surprised at all if one of the terrible teams offer him a HC position. 

Imagine, the Giants getting the first pick, drafting Lawrence and then hiring Brady as their HC. Their fanbase would be over the moon. 

And Brady would jump at that in a heartbeat. 

Tepper would have to do something insane to keep Brady if other teams were offering a HC position. Something like offering to pay Brady 3 times his highest HC salary offer. Even then it would only be for a few years max as you can pretty much know he has aspirations to be a HC, win titles and be considered the GOAT. 

Archived