• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For everyone already wringing their hands over losing Joe Brady to a HCing job...

1of10Charnatives

...which btw, a disturbing number of you were already doing before the man had ever coached a single game as an OC at the pro level. Is this going to happen if Brady proves as good as advertised and as he seems atm? Doubtless it will. Will it happen after this season? That is much less certain for a number of reasons.

But let's step back and consider something: If your goal is sustained success in the NFL, then one of the challenges that is always going to bring with it is replacing lost coaching talent. When you do well, your coordinators get hired away to be head coaches, it's a fact of life in the league. So the question anyone worried about losing Brady to success should be asking is:

How much faith do we have in Rhule's ability to identify up and coming talent to replace such coaching losses?

I would suggest that what we're learning about Phil Snow right now, that he seems much better than any of us expected, suggests we can relax a little because it was Rhule, not any of us (and I'm including myself in this) that not only had enough faith in Snow to bring him along to the big time, but wasn't afraid to state publicly that he doesn't believe in firing coaches (remember how uneasy that made a lot of us envisioning Snow in over his head and Rhule stubbornly refusing to make any sort of change). Rhule didn't have to box himself in publicly by making such a statement, in fact he gained nothing by doing so, but it's a strong indicator he had plenty of faith that Snow would do just fine as an NFL DC.

It's still entirely possible that the league will figure out Snow's defense, but so far it doesn't seem predicated on smoke and mirrors, just maximizing his roster's strengths and minimizing it's weaknesses. If Snow still looks like a keeper at the end of the year, I'd suggest we all stop worrying about losing Brady and just have a little faith that if we do, Rhule will find the right person to replace him.

Not to mention the fact we know Tepper won't think twice about paying whoever Rhule wants whatever it takes to get them here.

Snow was not the absolute best DC candidate we could have had. Unless he was shutting down college offenses and had Rhule's defenses usually in the top 10. More than likely, Snow was simply brought over due to connections / relationships. 

Brady on the other hand was the opposite. 

So, I am going to wait to see how Rhule replaces Brady WHEN he is hired as a HC, which wouldn't at all surprise me if it's at the end of this season. 

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt that Brady is going to be hired after only one successful season. That's really a very small sample size. 

We have some quality personnel, so any OC worth his salt ought to be able to have some success here. 

At the end of the day, the nature of the business is the nature of the business! I think that the some of you just don't realize that old school coaches like Fox and Rivera, who refuse to adapt with the times are not the norm anymore. You can't necessarily afford to be dogmatic in your offensive approach, and Rhule, Tapper, and now even Hurney realizes this and will act accordingly based upon modern analytics.

1 minute ago, bull123 said:

No salary cap on coaches...if Tepper wants to keep Brady he will

Well I think there's gonna be a point where it's not about money, it's about Brady wanting the chance to prove himself as a HC. I think if Brady is smart he will take his time and pick his spot and at that point no amount of money from Tepper will keep him, really nor should it, but I do think the odds we lose him after this season are a lot slimmer than some folks seem to think. But for the time being, yeah Tepper's deep pockets will likely help keep him around for as long as it's possible.

4 hours ago, Agent Blue said:

Snow was not the absolute best DC candidate we could have had. Unless he was shutting down college offenses and had Rhule's defenses usually in the top 10. More than likely, Snow was simply brought over due to connections / relationships. 

So, I am going to wait to see how Rhule replaces Brady WHEN he is hired as a HC, which wouldn't at all surprise me if it's at the end of this season. 

rhule said snow is the best coach he knows

4 hours ago, Agent Blue said:

In the college game, the distribution of playing talent is not even. National media exposure, program prestige and lavish facilities among other factors (I didn't say booster money, did I say booster money?) ensure that a second tier program like Baylor will be at a talent disadvantage when playing top tier programs. But Snow headlined a defense that made a turnaround in the span of 3 years from ranking 119th to 20th, and he did it in the Big 12, where scoring is so heavily emphasized it can leave defensive player feeling like second class citizens on their own team. 

I will readily admit I was also skeptical of Snow coming over as DC, precisely because it looked exactly like what you said, but so far it's looking like that is far from the case. I mean, who takes a waiver wire castoff like Rasul Douglas, puts him on one of the game's top receivers like DeAndre Hopkins, and proceeds to hold him to under 50 yards receiving while not giving up anything to anyone else?  The guy is getting maximum effort and effectiveness out of the players he has at his disposal, and I for one am eager to see what that translates to over time at the pro level when he's not stuck at a talent disadvantage against perennial college powers.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I'd like to invite everyone to just enjoy the process and the journey and not worry about hypothetical poo that might happen in an entertainment industry. It makes it less ... entertaining.

Hey man if I want to worry about all the good players we’re going to lose after we win the Super Bowl, that’s my choice!!!

1 hour ago, bull123 said:

No salary cap on coaches...if Tepper wants to keep Brady he will

Maybe for a while but I'm sure a guy like Brady will at some point want the challenge of being the HC, regardless of money. 

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

Maybe for a while but I'm sure a guy like Brady will at some point want the challenge of being the HC, regardless of money. 

These are my thoughts as well. I think if Brady is as smart as he seems, we have him for several years as he soaks up knowledge by what is starting to look like a very good coaching staff around him as well, and bides his time waiting for a team whose fans aren't always wearing out their therapist's speed dial number to call. But I doubt even Tepper's money can keep him forever, nor should it.

We haven't really seen a situation like Joe Brady before though, at least not one I can remember.  He's only 31, yet he's already worked under Payton for 2 years with the Saints, coordinated an all-time great college offense at LSU in a single season, and now he's calling a solid (so far) offense in Carolina.  Do I think he gets hired after Year 1?  Maybe not, but I wouldn't rule it out.  He's got far less (NFL) experience than Sean McVay when the latter was hired, but Brady is also already a bigger name in coaching circles than McVay was.  McVay threw a lot of people for a loop when Los Angeles hired him.

It will suck if it happens, but it isn't like offense is the only thing doing well on this team.  Defense has played extremely well despite it's inexperience and questionable secondary/linebacker talent, we are VERY disciplined.  As long as Rhule keeps trending upwards, we'll be fine regardless of who the coordinator is.  The head coach is always the most important.

If I had to guess, I think it'll take 3 years before he's hired.  It took McVay 3 years of coordinating the Redskins O, which had always performed well and efficiently under Cousins.  So I'll say the same for Brady - it isn't like we're shattering offensive records or anything.  

I'm a big fan of how the team structured things. Snow has no interest in taking an HC job and is well on in age, but he's also been with Rhule since the beginning (and was even Rhule's head coach when he was an assistant). Investing an entire draft in a system that isn't going anywhere until the man is ready to retire (or has to be let go) is smart, and the offense is primed for this season. I don't think we'll have to worry about Brady being taken away anytime soon with tenured guys like Eric Bienemy still available (I'm super scared for Bienemy if he takes the HOU gig because they've given whoever the  new head coach is two years without a first rounder and next season without a second. Talk about being set up to fail...).

He's got his offense for this season, but next season will tell the story imo. The team really, really needs to extend Moton and get Little + Daley to develop. If that happens, then at best the team just needs to find a new guard. At worst, they'll have to find a center as well. The team's entire WR room minus DJ and Robby are also set to be FAs after this year. Plus, the team is rail thin at TE.

I think that teams will wait and see how Brady's offense does next season. If it doesn't skip a beat, then I expect the front office will start receiving interview requests.

Archived