• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule will always have this team ready to play

Mage

13 minutes ago, Car123 said:

We were very competitive in Rivera’s first year.

Again, I just don't think it's the same.  I watched both of those teams.  Chud was a good OC, yes, but I never watched that team and felt they were excelling at the Xs and Os.  They were just a very, very talented offense that was maximizing Cam Newton's skill-set.  

For as talented as people think our offense this year is, it pales in comparison to the 2011 one.  Newton might not have been as good as Teddy as a passer at that point, but he was way more dynamic in other areas of his game.  McCaffrey has only played 3 games, whereas that team had Stew and Williams running efficiently every week alongside Cam.  OL was way better.  Tight ends were WAY better.  Our WRs this year are better, but I'd still take 2011 Steve Smith over Anderson or Moore.  

Again, not trying to take away from Rivera.  He had some quality traits, but it wasn't ever about the Xs and Os with him, and when that is the case, it isn't gonna translate every year.  Whereas this team this year, yeah we've had some good players, but overall feels like we just do a much better job of getting our guys in position.

It isn't easy always motivating players to play every week.  But when you can game-plan well and mix up what you wanna do scheme-wise every week depending your opponent?  That's gonna translate.  That is the biggest difference between Rhule and Rivera to me.  Rhula is gonna adjust every week to his opponent.  Rivera wanted to win the same way, every game.  

One of the things I recall when Rhule was hired was his ability to shape the gameplay around players he had. I think he's done a solid job of getting the players ready, and also getting young guys experience. For example, Ron would have never put in his 3rd-5th string WR's in unless it was late in the fourth quarter, but Rhule has put in Cooper and Zylstra on a number of occasions for the live reps. I may be reading too much into it but its a nice change. Would like to see what Rhule and co. can do with a better roster. 

unrelated but the previous two coaching eras resulted in a trip to the SB. Perhaps the third time is the charm? 

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Maybe y’all have short memories but the Panthers were always ready to play in the early years under Rivera. Panthers played close games and lost all the freaking time in 2011-2012

Yup and it wasn't until Hurney was fired that we actually started winning. 

2 hours ago, amcoolio said:

Once again, we lack major talent. This isn't comparable to Rivera who had stacked teams. 69+ million of the salary cap not on the field. Its incredible that we've been in every game through 9 weeks.

Man, this is super important to keep in mind!

Nearly 70 million of our 200 million cap is NOT ON THE FIELD.  And we're still in the games.

Archived