• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NBA Draft Thread 11/18 8 PM EST ESPN. Post your rumors, picks, opinions, etc here.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

If his work ethic is so great why is his shot so poor? I have seen AAU kids iron out shooting form/mechanics issues in an year, but this kid has played professionally and still has thr same issues he had as an AAU guy. You have to know it is a problem before you fix it, I don't believe he thinks it is a problem. 

Ball will be a serviceable starter in the NBA but I don't see any star future for him. TBQH, this draft was extremely weak at the top, so our odds of getting a superstar were slim to none. 

Bobnets gonna Bobnet.

Why go bobnets when horncats is so much better?

11 hours ago, woahfraze said:

Not to the degree that Ball has them.  

Wiseman has major effort question marks and offensive skill questions, edwards has major shot selection and game feel question marks plus shot a low percentage in college from everywhere on the floor. 

Ball has question marks on shot mechanics but has been working on them, he definitely has a feel for the game and is already elite at breaking down defenses and finding open players and has good rebounding skills for his position. 

5 hours ago, Woodie said:

LaMelo Ball comes with the fear of his overbearing father.  However, LaVar seems to have calmed down some since Lonzo settled into the league, so aside from some silly jabs at Jordan, I don't expect him to be much of a distraction.  As a player, LaMelo is already an elite passer and very good ball handler who has high-level court vision and a high BBIQ.  And while his personality is flashy and will draw attention, his playing style is very team oriented, which bodes well for our current team.  His defense and shooting is horrendous, but from all reports he is a hard worker, so I do expect solid improvement in both areas with proper coaching and development...I don't think he'll ever be an elite shooter or defender, but he should be good enough that he won't be a liability.

Seems like a bad description for a #3 overall pick

i was afraid this might happen. i think this might be my tap out point as far as being a fan of this team. lamelo was the most self-centered and egotistical of all the ball family children. lonzo had his head on right once lavar started to get ridiculous and usually ended up apologizing for him. lamelo just kept being problematic. we can talk about his game all day long but it's all there in his scouting report. disinterested defender. takes ridiculously long range 3's as opposed to working the offense. can pass and rebound like all hell like lonzo, but isn't athletic enough to dribble drive and settles for floaters instead of getting into the teeth of the defense and taking contact. he's got that funky form on his jumpshot where he kicks his feet out in front of him and he's been repping that form for years and years without correction. 

even if he does overcome the negative marks on his scouting report, he's still a jerk. i don't want to be a fan of a team that our star player is more concerned with his instagram popping than his jump shot. 

7 minutes ago, t96 said:

Unfortunately every lottery pick in this draft had a bad description for their pick number. This wasn't a good draft to have a high pick in. 

yeah, I'm really just a tune into the NBA playoffs type of NBA fan.  I don't really know much about Ball outside he is Lamar's kid and all his boys got weird looking shots. 

I didn’t want Ball, but every single draft recap I’ve seen so far has given us an A+ for taking him. The ESPN draft guy was raving about him having seen him play in person in Estonia and Australia. There’s also been multiple articles about him not being an ass (which was my assumption), but a good guy. He came across great in an interview I saw the other day (can’t remember where it was).

So for now I will put my trust in the experts  and not people on this board who’s never seen him play. He’s also a young guy who is still catching up to a major growth spurt going from 6’2 to 6’7.

Our coaching staff have done a great job developing talent over the last two years, so I’m very hopeful.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

yeah, I'm really just a tune into the NBA playoffs type of NBA fan.  I don't really know much about Ball outside he is Lamar's kid and all his boys got weird looking shots. 

Same for me lately, I don't claim to be very knowledgeable about the league or the draft but everything I did read seemed to suggest that this draft was just bad across the board. All the top prospects have very legit concerns that top prospects shouldn't have. I might actually get the basketball package this year and watch some more Hornets games but doubt I'll follow too closely.

Just now, t96 said:

Same for me lately, I don't claim to be very knowledgeable about the league or the draft but everything I did read seemed to suggest that this draft was just bad across the board. All the top prospects have very legit concerns that top prospects shouldn't have. I might actually get the basketball package this year and watch some more Hornets games but doubt I'll follow too closely.

I was a day 1 fan of the OG Hornets.  But I honestly haven't followed Charlotte basketball closely since the Alonzo and the Grandmama days.  

LeBron is basically Jordan to me.  I just tune in to the NBA to watch him mostly.   Catch everything as an offshoot of watching LeBron.   Maybe Steph right when we came in.  

37 minutes ago, Vagrant said:

i was afraid this might happen. i think this might be my tap out point as far as being a fan of this team. lamelo was the most self-centered and egotistical of all the ball family children. lonzo had his head on right once lavar started to get ridiculous and usually ended up apologizing for him. lamelo just kept being problematic. we can talk about his game all day long but it's all there in his scouting report. disinterested defender. takes ridiculously long range 3's as opposed to working the offense. can pass and rebound like all hell like lonzo, but isn't athletic enough to dribble drive and settles for floaters instead of getting into the teeth of the defense and taking contact. he's got that funky form on his jumpshot where he kicks his feet out in front of him and he's been repping that form for years and years without correction. 

even if he does overcome the negative marks on his scouting report, he's still a jerk. i don't want to be a fan of a team that our star player is more concerned with his instagram popping than his jump shot. 

This is so wrong it isn't funny.  It is clear you are going on your own perception and not reality.  I have not seen 1 interview with prior coaches or teammates that have said he is self centered at all.  All have stated he is an unselfish player and great teammate.  Feel free to start looking for a new team, we wont miss you.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

If his work ethic is so great why is his shot so poor? I have seen AAU kids iron out shooting form/mechanics issues in an year, but this kid has played professionally and still has thr same issues he had as an AAU guy. You have to know it is a problem before you fix it, I don't believe he thinks it is a problem. 

Ball will be a serviceable starter in the NBA but I don't see any star future for him. TBQH, this draft was extremely weak at the top, so our odds of getting a superstar were slim to none. 

Bobnets gonna Bobnet.

I put the careless shot selection and not developing his form on him being a traveling show pony at every level he's played in. He's never had to fix it, and no coach in freaking Lithuania or Australia was going to step in to push the league's biggest moneymaker.

Lonzo was much worse coming in and his shooting's alright now.

It seems to me that if you have a suspect shot, but you have great vision and get teammates the ball in a position to score more easily than someone who does not---then it balances out.  As for his 3 point shooting percentage (about 25%) It should be noted that another 6-7 point guard, Magic Johnson (a different player, but play along) did not surpass 24% shooting from 3-point land during his first 9 seasons. However, in his 10th season and after that, he averaged in the 35% range, enough to bring is career average to a respectable 30%.  It is a different game now, and Magic is a better inside player, but he was the first 6-7 point guard I can recall.

Now, anyone can say, Ball is not Magic--but at 19, Magic was not Magic.

Archived