• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person on Marty Hurney situation

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think the primary reasons were that he knew the system, he had support here in Joe Brady and Evan Cooper, and history made them think that he at least had a chance to prove he could be a franchise quarterback.

Hasn't worked out that way, but I can understand giving it a shot at the time.

I mean, I get the idea of that...but nothing in his history has proven that he could be the answer, and if Rhule and Co. thought that he could....well....I'm not real sure I like that.

10 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I mean, I get the idea of that...but nothing in his history has proven that he could be the answer, and if Rhule and Co. thought that he could....well....I'm not real sure I like that.

NFL personnel work is a lot like trying to be a psychic friend.

Some guys are better at it than others (and some way better) but definitely nobody's perfect.

20 minutes ago, jtm said:

Bring in Dan Morgan from the Bills.  He and his staff are the reason the Bills are loaded with talent everywhere.  This is a no brainer. 

I like Joe Schoen from the Bills better.

That said, I don't know that either of them has any connection with Matt Rhule, and that's likely going to be important if you want to be the next GM of the Panthers.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:08 PM, SizzleBuzz said:

Nothing new in there.

KEY PASSAGE:  "...Hurney and Rhule have a good working relationship and have done a good job executing on the collaborative vision Tepper had when he kept Hurney on board."

INTERPRETED:  Note the language underlined above.  This is a perfect description of how things work within the Appaloosa model Tepper has overlaid onto the Panthers.  Hurney & Rhule are co-PM's who are executing a strategy that was collaboratively developed by all three men, and ultimately blessed by Tepper.

KEY PASSAGE:  "Person adds Rhule has no interest in being both coach and general manager himself."

INTERPRETED:  Within the Appaloosa model Rhule will/would never have that option, ever.  Take whatever Rhule may have said before he agreed to a deal with Tepper and throw it right out the window.  Tepper laid down the parameters for Rhule and then kept stacking million-dollar bills in the table until Matt said yes.  (3 attaboys to whomever can name the man paraphrased in italics there...hint: he had a BIG hand in building Charlotte!)

Here's a nugget that isn't covered in the article --- today on Bailey's show he straight-away asked Person what he was hearing around the league as to who Tepper might be considering/targeting as a GM --- Person had absolutely nothing. 

In the Appaloosa model there isn't a traditional "GM" position within the org chart --- those responsibilities reside with the guy at the top and that guy will always be Tepper.

The fact that Hurney is still the GM tells you this is probably how things are run.

What owner buys a team and fires a coach and keeps the GM that hired that coach?  

Hurney has the title of "GM', Rhule has heavy influence on the construction of the roster, and Tepper has final say.  Seems logical.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Tepper fully finish buying the panthers with about one month before the start of training camp? I fully understand the reasons to keep both(RR and Herniay) at that point. Then Marty is a HOF brown noser and RR is a good person, that got both another year too. 

23 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

I would have to guess Hugh McColl

Close.

Ed Crutchfield, CEO of First Union.

When First Union bought bought Signet Bank of Virginia in 1997 after the deal was announced Crutchfield was asked how a proper price was arrived at and famously said:

''I just kept stacking billion-dollar bills on the table until Mac said yes...'' said Edward Crutchfield, First Union's unusually candid chief executive, about his courtship of Malcolm McDonald, chief executive of Signet Banking Corp.

You can read about the deal here if interested:  https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-19970723-1997-07-23-9707220123-story.html

On 12/17/2020 at 12:01 PM, Mr. Scot said:

I haven't seen anything that makes me think that, and it is worth remembering that we were prepared to take Justin Herbert last year if he fell to us.

But Hurney had no problem with trading up for his overated OT the year before.  El oh el.

Archived