• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers will try to Trevor. Big time.

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

you know who's never lost a super bowl? Trent Dilfer

And he was a first round QB and highly touted. 

Again with the hyperbole instead of sticking with the conversation .if you keep throwing things against the wall sooner or later something might stick.

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

The Colts didn't have much talent at all, there's a reason their 2011 season was so disastrous. Manning carried that team all those years. Luck never had an OL even half as good as Cam's OL's here. They invested high picks in weapons for him but they wound up not being very good players. Luck never really had much around him and still played at an elite level and carried them to the playoffs. Their D was trash his entire career there.

This is the case.  People assume that the Colts were loaded because of their consistency, I contend that Bill Polian is an idiot and didn't know how to build around Manning and take some weight off his shoulders.

Very similar to Cam here, but Manning was a different animal entirely.

Just now, t96 said:

The Colts didn't have much talent at all, there's a reason their 2011 season was so disastrous. Manning carried that team all those years. Luck never had an OL even half as good as Cam's OL's here. They invested high picks in weapons for him but they wound up not being very good players. Luck never really had much around him and still played at an elite level and carried them to the playoffs. Their D was trash his entire career there.

Stopped reading at Luck's offensive line was much worse than Cam's O line. If that is your true opinion then no need for further discussion.  The only reason our line wasn't worse was because Can was elusive and ran so much.

Just now, panthers55 said:

Stopped reading at Luck's offensive line was much worse than Cam's O line. If that is your true opinion then no need for further discussion.  The only reason our line wasn't worse was because Can was elusive and ran so much.

It's not just my opinion, metrics from those seasons absolutely support it. Luck took an absolute beating behind his OL there. Honestly, very possibly contributed to his early retirement.

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

It's not just my opinion, metrics from those seasons absolutely support it. Luck took an absolute beating behind his OL there. Honestly, very possibly contributed to his early retirement.

You are arguing with a guy who had to go "check Luck's stats" to see if he was a good player or not, but he clearly remembers the Colt's offensive line being better than Cam's...because.

Luck was a great prospect, better one than Cam, and the Colts and bad luck ruined him.  The same could happen to Trevor in Jax, or possibly here, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a great prospect, he simply is, and IMO, I prefer him over Luck when he was coming out.

I'm not going to quote the whole thing, but SCO96 makes an excellent point.  I have been watching the NFL for 10 years longer (1969).  It is not a knock on those three QB's, either, but the lack of their teams to build around them.  At best they were one-sided teams (offense only), at worst they were mediocre on one side and worse than that on the other.

Elway was a one-man show in Denver for most of his early career.  That was good enough to get to those three Super Bowls, but then they ran into rather complete teams and got dismantled.  When he had some strong talent around him, he was able to complete the runs with less emphasis on him. 

P. Manning was much the same, although I would say the Colts may have had even less talent around him (especially on the defensive side of the ball).  The year the Colts won it all, their defense went from terrible in the regular season to good in the playoffs. 

Luck had, well, no luck at all.  Generally weak cast, and then the injuries. 

Marino could be on this list.  Great pure passer.  But a great pure passer with sometimes good receivers, nothing resembling a defense, and nothing to show for it.

It really does take a team effort.  Anything less will get exposed, if not before the big game, during it.  You can ask 90's Bills fans or late 80's Broncos fans how it feels to come up just short every time.  It may sound enticing, but I doubt it would make the Huddle very happy if it happened to the Panthers.

I'm not in favor of mortgaging everything to get one player.  We have a lot of needs, and Lawrence on a team with this many holes may just turn out like the late 80's Broncos or the Manning-led Colts.  Those two teams brought home one Lombardi between them, and that was when lightning struck and the bottom 25% defense suddenly played like a top 25% defense for most of four playoff games.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I expect the Panthers to do everything they possibly can to trade up and land Trevor Lawrence.

Tepper is a long term thinker and landing the best college qb prospect in a decade is the very definition of long term thinking.

Moreover, having a Carolina kid lead this team with such built in fan support is an immediate and substantial cash cow. Can you imagine the mania and jersey sales? My word. 

I feel Trevor is plan a,b, and c for these reasons.

Is this just your opinion or did your hear something?

Archived