• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So was Hurney the one that decided to cut Cam?

PhillyB

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It'll be interesting to see if this change leads to some more heads rolling after this week's games. Teams that were planning to wait until after the season may feel like their hand is forced due to this.

I posted in the wrong thread :)

I’m sorry but I won’t believe this until I see it in a report confirmed by everyone involved. This reads like rationalizing all the teams bad decisions away. Teddy was picked to run Brady’s offense by Brady and Rhule. You’re trying to tell me the same off-season we open up the Saints, Temple, and Baylor pipeline that Hurney snuck in and fired Cam and hired Teddy?? Don’t be stupid. They decided to gamble on Teddy instead of keep Cam. They had to give Teddy enough commitment (money and years) for him to come here. He had a chance to be the guy going forward. But we also had enough room to flip him into a transition back up if he failed. That’s what’s happening. 

Yeah, as much as I would like to believe this I just don't think it's likely. Hurney drafted Cam and we all know how loyal Hurney can be to his vets. Brady was brought in as the OC and had previous experience working with Teddy. I just can't see a decision like this to cut Cam and sign Teddy being made in a Hurney vacuum.

2 minutes ago, djp14 said:

It was Tepper.

When he started talking about not being "weighed down by a $36 million-a-year mistake'', the writing was on the wall for Cam.

I honestly do think the decision to move on from Cam was either made by Tepper or HIGHLY encouraged by Tepper. He basically started laying the PR groundwork for moving on from Cam as soon as he put pen to paper to buy the Panthers.

3 hours ago, onmyown said:

I hope not because if Tepper, Rhule and Brady were high on Cam with the giant turd he is taking in NE, that’s worse judgment than TB

Now if what you mean by high on him as in sending him out on his last year as a lame duck to save cap space and dump him after the year to draft the franchise QB with an extra 40m they gave TB, that would have been nice

He was still under contract and should have been giving the opportunity to run with the offense we had.  A bad Cam deep ball is better than TB best deep ball.

It probably worked in our favor because Cam would have won a couple of those games that we need to drive down and score.  You can say what you want but Cam had the ability to drive our team down when needed.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't. Jones is smart enough to know the difference, and honestly he was more emphatic than what I've written here.

The one thing I would say is that Marty's power was definitely diminished from the Richardson days. Under Jerry, Marty's word was law. Under Tepper, not so much.

Still, by all accounts he did still want to keep his job. It just wasn't gonna happen.

I just dont think MH was shocked by this. I guess thats why I am getting at.

15 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I just dont think MH was shocked by this. I guess thats why I am getting at.

David Tepper has been discussing things with him for a while now, and based on multiple sources it doesn't sound like those conversations were going particularly well.

So no, he might not have been shocked. All indications are that he did want to keep the job though.

Just now, Pup McBarky said:

This seems awfully convenient. Most hated man in Panthers administration is also responsible for most hated decisions of new coaching regime. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying it's a little too convenient and cut and dried.

this might be true if it wasn't also the case that hurney has already been hated for his horrible, franchise-crippling moves for years 

Archived