• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So was Hurney the one that decided to cut Cam?

PhillyB

Have we really changed the narrative to Brady, Rhule and Tepper really wanted to stick with Cam but Hurney unilaterally said "Nah guys! This man has to go! You're getting Bridgewater instead and you're going to like it!" 

The one thing literally everyone can agree on with Marty is he's the ultimate yes man. Him ignoring input from the rest of the team, including the owner who has been heavily involved from the start, the new coach who was paid a fortune with the expectation of molding the organization in his image, and the young offensive coordinator who was supposed to be the next big thing and morph our offensive identity, and instead decide to cut his prized former #1 draft pick against their wishes? Really? REALLY? Seriously guys we have enough irrefutable reasons to be upset with Hurney that we really don't need to fabricate these absurd theories.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:50 AM, Montsta said:

Always felt like Hurney was in a weird position. Like he had way too much power but also here’s an unbreakable 7 year contract with an unknown college coach that may go down as a glorious dumpster fire. 

Used to be the GM had a big say in picking the coach but increasingly around the league there is no rhyme or reason to the organizational hierarchy. 

Either way at least Hurney is gone. He is awful at his job and has been since his first stint and there was zero, O, zero zero zero reason to bring him back in the first place. 

He did pick the coach, that's what's so funny about it. Yes I believe hurney was the decision maker on letting cam newton go. But I believe he did that because of Brady and not Rhule

43 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Have we really changed the narrative to Brady, Rhule and Tepper really wanted to stick with Cam but Hurney unilaterally said "Nah guys! This man has to go! You're getting Bridgewater instead and you're going to like it!" 

The one thing literally everyone can agree on with Marty is he's the ultimate yes man. Him ignoring input from the rest of the team, including the owner who has been heavily involved from the start, the new coach who was paid a fortune with the expectation of molding the organization in his image, and the young offensive coordinator who was supposed to be the next big thing and morph our offensive identity, and instead decide to cut his prized former #1 draft pick against their wishes? Really? REALLY? Seriously guys we have enough irrefutable reasons to be upset with Hurney that we really don't need to fabricate these absurd theories.

this is all 100% true but i seriously doubt anyone was THAT entrenched in their opinion on it. if this were true - that hurney dumped cam and paid for it - my guess would be tepper et al basically said either way could conceivably work, it's ultimately your call, just make the right one.

in which case hurney probably chose wrong and lost his job for it.

doubtful they had guns pointed at each other's heads over it and tepper cowed

I'm pretty sure @RoaringRiot speculated all along that Hurney was basically being kept on to be used as the scapegoat for Cam's departure.

But I honestly think that decision was if not dictated by Tepper, heavily encouraged by Tepper. He started laying the verbal groundwork for parting ways with Cam as soon as he put pen to paper to buy the team.

47 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm pretty sure @RoaringRiot speculated all along that Hurney was basically being kept on to be used as the scapegoat for Cam's departure.

But I honestly think that decision was if not dictated by Tepper, heavily encouraged by Tepper. He started laying the verbal groundwork for parting ways with Cam as soon as he put pen to paper to buy the team.

Seems highly plausible although I'd go a step further and say he was kept to be the scapegoat for Rhule's entire 1st season and all the associated struggles. Why keep on a lameduck GM that doesn't match your vision and is the last remaining remnant of the previous ownership after completely overhauling the rest of the team and coaching staff? Maybe because you realize this season is going to be bad and you need someone to pin the failures on while simultaneously invigorating the fanbase and their outlook on the future coming off a bottom 5 record by firing him. If that wasn't the intention, it sure worked out that way regardless. I have a tough time believing in 2+ years with Hurney, he just now realized he's not analytically inclined enough.

Anyhow, I'm ready to turn a new leaf and stop focusing on Hurney and excited for what the future might bring. Seems like some real promising candidates are out there.

39 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

tepper doesn't need scapegoats lol

He's the owner, he can do whatever he wants. But he's probably not an idiot when it comes to PR. He wanted to move on from Cam and he knew Rhule's first season was likely not to go well in the W-L column. Hurney was the perfect fall guy for all of it since he was already wildly unpopular amongst most of the fanbase. 

Like my mans said earlier in the thread, if you haven’t watched the pats this season just say so, but trying to push a narrative that doesn’t exist for who knows what is asinine. 

shoulder held up fine this season, no one and I mean absolutely no one ever brings up the fact that the pats def is rank 32 dvoa. Can’t be giving up almost 300 yards rushing to madden fa rbs and expect better results. 

Archived