• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So was Hurney the one that decided to cut Cam?

PhillyB

As for hurney, I don’t think he pulled the trigger I’m almost in the camp that he was one of the opposers to cutting cam and that’s why he’s ultimately where he is now. 

tepper and Rhule do to much dancing around questions like that anyway to get a true grasp of who made the call, but I said whoever made the decision to sign tb as a replacement should have been on the hot seat immediately. 

hurney gets a lot of in earned credit and blame on this forum, I can’t put this one on him 

4 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

Have we really changed the narrative to Brady, Rhule and Tepper really wanted to stick with Cam but Hurney unilaterally said "Nah guys! This man has to go! You're getting Bridgewater instead and you're going to like it!" 

The one thing literally everyone can agree on with Marty is he's the ultimate yes man. Him ignoring input from the rest of the team, including the owner who has been heavily involved from the start, the new coach who was paid a fortune with the expectation of molding the organization in his image, and the young offensive coordinator who was supposed to be the next big thing and morph our offensive identity, and instead decide to cut his prized former #1 draft pick against their wishes? Really? REALLY? Seriously guys we have enough irrefutable reasons to be upset with Hurney that we really don't need to fabricate these absurd theories.

O my, everything that goes wrong= Herniay faults.

Ive been meaning to add to this Teddy was _________ fault. I was waiting cause the story kept changing/adding, then RR drop Marty was the reason. Heres the truth EVERYONE wanted Teddy- Rhule, Joe, Marty, Tepper etc etc. Just like most of the decisions, its was a collection of the minds.  Just like the fuging draft, Marty FINALLY hit on a second rounder(hes 1 out of 10 average there...). Jesus at the mental thought process that everything that wrong/bad falls solely on Hernaiy. 

Honestly I wanted to add this- I watch much of Rhules pressers. No idea why, since hes a pure liar, hardcore fan I guess...Anyway, he was asked who was the reason for signing Teddy, I was waiting on Joe brady to be the answer, it wasnt. Jeff Nixon was his answer, hes the RB coach. Said about 4 things about Nixon and him pushing/wanting Teddy once they got to the pros. Rhule slso spoke how much he respected Teddy and how Teddy spoke to his players while at a bowl in NO. So HC Rhule said Nixon played a big role in bring in Teddy, carry on.. 

21 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

As for hurney, I don’t think he pulled the trigger I’m almost in the camp that he was one of the opposers to cutting cam and that’s why he’s ultimately where he is now. 

tepper and Rhule do to much dancing around questions like that anyway to get a true grasp of who made the call, but I said whoever made the decision to sign tb as a replacement should have been on the hot seat immediately. 

hurney gets a lot of in earned credit and blame on this forum, I can’t put this one on him 

I believe It was actually intimated in the all pro forum that Hurney would be retained to be the fall guy for Tepper when Cam was let go and then fired himself 

here we are.  Not sad to see Hurney go. 

On 12/23/2020 at 6:50 PM, Rocky Davis said:

Dude....you seriously think Josh McDaniels makes anyone a winner?  He has to prove to so many more people now that it wasn't Tom Brady making him look good.

McDaniels has done nothing but hinder Cam's ability to do well in NE....and I agree Cam's days as a QB1 are behind him.

Yeah what do I know he's only won countless Super Bowls and had winning seasons with guys named Matt Cassel. But yeah Cam just needs a real OC with more weapons right... 

9 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

Have we really changed the narrative to Brady, Rhule and Tepper really wanted to stick with Cam but Hurney unilaterally said "Nah guys! This man has to go! You're getting Bridgewater instead and you're going to like it!" 

The one thing literally everyone can agree on with Marty is he's the ultimate yes man. Him ignoring input from the rest of the team, including the owner who has been heavily involved from the start, the new coach who was paid a fortune with the expectation of molding the organization in his image, and the young offensive coordinator who was supposed to be the next big thing and morph our offensive identity, and instead decide to cut his prized former #1 draft pick against their wishes? Really? REALLY? Seriously guys we have enough irrefutable reasons to be upset with Hurney that we really don't need to fabricate these absurd theories.

Wait a damn minute. How dare you bring logic to this situation. 

On 12/23/2020 at 10:44 AM, AceBoogie said:

How many Patriots games have you watched this year? I’ve watched every snap. He’s still capable of being a good QB. He still has his faults but he has literally nothing around him on offense. Worst skill position group than some colleges and that’s not an exaggeration. 

Keeping Cam had nothing to do with him being washed or not. It was a win/win situation. If he’s washed we’re in a better position than we are now because we wouldn’t owe a QB any money. If he was good which I believe he would have done well in this offense then you have a QB for the next few years. 

The TB decision was just dumb. 

People keep trying to give the front office a pass on TB based on trying to call him a bridge QB with a bridge contract, which is so stupid.  Someone in the front office or coaching staff felt he had a chance to be a franchise QB, you don't pay that much just for a "bridge" QB, and I don't care how much other QBs make, its irrelevant.

The decision to not extend Cam:

First of all those decisions are usually collaborative with the owner having final say.  Very good chance he was looking for a longer term deal in the $30m range.  I could see Tepper not wanting to tie up that much money on a long term commitment.  I could see the coaches thinking that Cam wasn't the correct fit for their system.  At this point I would say the decision to not extend Cam was probably the correct one.

The decision to release Cam:  

The decision to release Cam and not extending him is too different things.  Personally I feel like this was handled wrong.  How I would have handled it is such, I would tell Cam I wasn't comfortable giving him a long term deal but I would like him to play on the last year of his deal.  Also he could have his people look for a trade but I wouldn't take anything below fair value.  At this point you just wait, maybe Cam finds out his market isn't what he thinks and he plays his last year out.

There is a chance that behind the scenes that Cam 's people were making it clear that he wouldn't play out his last year without an extension and maybe they released him to avoid that drama, but even then I would slow play it and let Cam come across as the bad guy.

Also there is a chance everyone overstated Cams value and everyone thought a trade would be easy.

Maybe Cam plays his last year, if he plays great you extend him, if he plays bad we are in the spot we are right now with less financial commitment.  Also at that point his contract is up and if he signs with someone else you could get a comp pick out of it.

Some people might argue that you let him so go to make tanking easier, but if are really interested in tanking you don't sign TB so that argument doesn't make sense.

The decision to sign TB:

I always thought it felt like a coaching decision to sign him.  He knew the system and maybe they thought he was their chance to win now.  Coaches have egos, they should, and sometimes they think they can get more out of a player than other coaches.  Nobody likes a long, slow rebuild so I get it.

But i could see Hurney being big on the decision, it would definitely be a way to save his job.  If you are Hurney you have to be somewhat worried about the new owner replacing you.  Maybe the coaches (some of them) were high on Bridgewater and Hurny was high on the idea of trying to win sooner than later, would definitely increase his chances of being retained.  If we go 9-7 this year maybe Hurny is still here.

Looking back with hindsight this is what should have happened:

Don't extend Cam

Don't sign Teddy

Play the season with Cam if you don't find a trade, let Grier start, or let PJ start.

Right now you would have a lot more cap space and draft capital.

The biggest argument against signing Teddy is that if we didn’t spend $60 million on Teddy, we’d win a couple games and pick third or fourth. 

Instead, we spent $60 million on Teddy and we still won only a few games and will pick third or fourth. Everyone who said he won’t make a difference (in a positive way, at least) nailed it. 

That is why Hurney is gone. 

The whole Hurney didn't want Cam  is interesting because it flies in the face of so many so-called truths about Hurney. He gives out too many needless extensions, he is too loyal to his players. He is bad judge of talent and doesn't know when to move on. Yet he knew when to trade Benjamin and when to let Olsen and Cam go apparently. If he pulled the plug on Cam for Bridgewater he made a ballsy move.  He saved 5 million in cap space this year when we needed every penny  and brought in someone who could run Brady's scheme right away. It didn't work out like planned with Bridgewater but he made the best plan he could to win.

I doubt Bridgewater was why Hurney was canned. I think it was always planned this way. Get rid of Rivera and bring in Rhule, keep Hurney through this season and now that Rhule has some experience move on to his guy.  Anything short of a playoff run and Hurney was gone no matter what.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:46 PM, PhillyB said:

this is all 100% true but i seriously doubt anyone was THAT entrenched in their opinion on it. if this were true - that hurney dumped cam and paid for it - my guess would be tepper et al basically said either way could conceivably work, it's ultimately your call, just make the right one.

in which case hurney probably chose wrong and lost his job for it.

doubtful they had guns pointed at each other's heads over it and tepper cowed

Ok so now let's take a step back and ask ourselves 2 questions:

1. Who is more likely to want to cut ties with Cam?

A) The GM who made him his star #1 pick with years of history and a known propensity for overvaluing his own players

B) The new coach and owner, with no personal ties to Cam and only first hand experience with him is as a perennially injured shell of himself

2. If neither did feel strongly about it as you surmise, whose opinion is likely going to hold the most weight to break the tie?

A) The lameduck GM who is the last remaining remnant from the previous ownership and clearly on the outs

B) The owner of the team and the new coach whom he fully endorsed enough to pay a fortune to pry away from Baylor

Hmm...tough call... super tough call. I see your point. 

27 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

Ok so now let's take a step back and ask ourselves 2 questions:

1. Who is more likely to want to cut ties with Cam?

A) The GM who made him his star #1 pick with years of history and a known propensity for overvaluing his own players

B) The new coach and owner, with no personal ties to Cam and only first hand experience with him is as a perennially injured shell of himself

2. If neither did feel strongly about it as you surmise, whose opinion is likely going to hold the most weight to break the tie?

A) The lameduck GM who is the last remaining remnant from the previous ownership and clearly on the outs

B) The owner of the team and the new coach whom he fully endorsed enough to pay a fortune to pry away from Baylor

Hmm...tough call... super tough call. I see your point. 

those are all great points but the wildcard here is that hurney by all accounts was (1) desperate to save his job and (2) responsible for picking teddy.

if these two premises hold water it points to hurney calling the cam cut. whether or not he was fired over it is a different argument.

24 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

those are all great points but the wildcard here is that hurney by all accounts was (1) desperate to save his job and (2) responsible for picking teddy.

if these two premises hold water it points to hurney calling the cam cut. whether or not he was fired over it is a different argument.

The problem with your "wildcard" thesis is Hurney didn't have discretionary power to cut anyone, at all.

There's just 0.00% chance Tepper would ever allow Hurndog to make a call like this on his own.

It really is an incredibly laughable supposition...

Archived