• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilson character issues.

Rags

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you think he's the flavor of the month, you just weren't paying attention pre-December.

How many seasons has he been a starting QB? 

How many games did he play last season?

How many teams did he beat that were nationally ranked this year?

How much December hype is he suddenly getting without much prior rep? 

Gonna stand by that flavor of the month statement. And also, still wouldn't gamble my first round pick on that small body of work. Like I said, maybe risk a third rounder. 

38 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

^ i am pretty sure the info about Marty's drafting is inaccurate and/or disingenuous at best

No, it's not according to SI! 

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/panthers-have-drafted-the-most-all-pros-since-2000

Even though Hurney's second round probably helped him get fired the first time, he has an eye for top-end talent!

19 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Gonna stand by that flavor of the month statement. And also, still wouldn't gamble my first round pick on that small body of work. Like I said, maybe risk a third rounder. 

That's a compelling argument. You'd probably acknowledge that he could end up being the real deal, but, like you intimate, he could flop! Who knows?

19 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This

Wilson has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

does not jive with this

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him."

His black teammates arent gonna be cool dealing with a white dude who thinks he can tell them what to do. Is what it is. And yes I'm black.

32 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Well, you'd be wrong.

Third rounder... LOLOLOL

16 minutes ago, Tinamedina said:

His black teammates arent gonna be cool dealing with a white dude who thinks he can tell them what to do. Is what it is. And yes I'm black.

The quarterback tells the players what to do on every play. And considering most quarterbacks and offensive coordinators and head coaches are white this is an absolutely ridiculous statement. 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I think that this is a good vid with some nice info & good insight! 

I've always said that when you boil it down, Hurney was better than many GMs from a drafting perspective. The stats and quality of players we've drafted bare that out! Where I think he's gotten into trouble is the contracts, evaluating free agents and team building! And, sometimes things get to a point where you just need something new! Now, I thought Marty was bringing a fresh perspective, especially considering his first vs second run in Charlotte, but I also can't fault Tepper for wanting to start fresh! 

I hope Charlie Campbell is wrong about Tepper, but he did get my attention when he essentially said in so many words that Tepper seems to be trying to "reinvent the wheel." Could be the case, we'll see! If we suck in three years, or take a drop in drafting, but, more importantly, team building...then I'll have to give Campbell his props, but I'm not going to outright overlook what he's saying like others. He has some good insights and good nuggets! 

-----

Now regarding Wilson, I'm not gonna lie, I do get somewhere between a Manziel and Mayfield vibe from him. He's a little enigmatic in regards to his overall character and what to expect, but if he's on our clock in the second round, I'd probably rush up to the podium!

I have to trust that our FO knows what it's doing though---I don't have any choice. If they pick Wilson in the first, I'll be like this:Happy Robert Redford GIF

I think that Lance may have a higher ceiling though, and he'd be my pick from what I've seen! But, I'm not a scout and my information is limited!

A GM's job is to field a competitive team year in and year out. Hurney has always failed miserably in that endeavor. Drafting gets all the hype, but it's only a portion of the overall job. And Marty's history outside the 1st has historically been abysmal.

The guy in that video just seems like a typical "hot taker". Pick a hot topic and pitch the opposite opinion to the norm. Try to get clicks and views.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A GM's job is to field a competitive team year in and year out. Hurney has always failed miserably in that endeavor. Drafting gets all the hype, but it's only a portion of the overall job. And Marty's history outside the 1st has historically been abysmal.

The guy in that video just seems like a typical "hot taker". Pick a hot topic and pitch the opposite opinion to the norm. Try to get clicks and views.

I disagree about the hot take thing! There have been enough on the Huddle and elsewhere who've been more analytical about Hurney, especially when juxtaposing him against other GMs! I don't think it's a norm anywhere but here that Hurney is just some terrible GM! But, that being said, his teams have never finished the deal, so from that perspective he's fair game to all types of criticism, fair or not!

Archived