• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilson character issues.

Rags

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

No, it's not according to SI! 

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/panthers-have-drafted-the-most-all-pros-since-2000

Even though Hurney's second round probably helped him get fired the first time, he has an eye for top-end talent!

Like I said its ingenious and borderline wrong attributing all of that to Hurney.   For starters they are including players from Gettlemans tenure and counting players like Moose and other who were drafted prior to 2000.    There is probably more wrong but just saying Hurney drafted more pro bowlers than any other Gm is just wrong and borderline lying and not doing any homework.

Also being named in the "Pro Bowl" is a bit of a reach in regards to accomplishments.  People back out all the time for injuries etc elevating lesser players.   Teddy was "named" to the pro bowl.  I mean come on.

Somebody asked this earlier.  His uncle did indeed found JetBlue, and another airline since.  He has founded five or six total.  While the CEO at JetBlue, he donated his salary to a fund to help the employees in crisis.  Apparently his uncle is a stand-up guy, in addition to having a solid reputation in the aviation industry.  For the record, I have worked in the industry for 31 years, although never for one of his companies or interests (so this is not a "paid announcement").  In fact, my opinion of JetBlue's management has gone steadily downhill since about the time he left.

As for his nephew, it may be moot.  I wandered into a mock today from 24/7 sports and they have the Jets taking Wilson with the #2 pick (and us taking Fields at #4, with Sewell going to the Bengals in between).  If so and the rumblings about him being some sort of overgrown spoiled brat are true, we'll find out soon enough.  His career will also be shorter than it possibly should be, not because of anything to do with him other he will be wearing kelly green and playing playing in the Meadowlands.  Those things tend to be a graveyard for young QBs (along with maybe Jimmy Hoffa).

21 hours ago, Rags said:

It's from Walterfootball, so take it with a grain of salt, but I do trust his sources more than his scouting.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Some-Teams-Have-Makeup-Concerns-with-Zach-Wilson

If true it's a red flag. Though skill trumps character and his teammates still seem to love him. Worst case he'll respond well to the growing up he has to do in the NFL.

After reading that Im glad those boys from CCU pile drived him. 

BTW Chants got snubbed

44 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Like I said its ingenious and borderline wrong attributing all of that to Hurney.   For starters they are including players from Gettlemans tenure and counting players like Moose and other who were drafted prior to 2000.    There is probably more wrong but just saying Hurney drafted more pro bowlers than any other Gm is just wrong and borderline lying and not doing any homework.

Also being named in the "Pro Bowl" is a bit of a reach in regards to accomplishments.  People back out all the time for injuries etc elevating lesser players.   Teddy was "named" to the pro bowl.  I mean come on.

No one is contributing ALL of that to Hurney, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to not give the man some props, particularly for his first round picks and acquisition of other Pro-Bowlers. He has done a notable job at that, and it's really not debatable. That being said, his teams haven't gotten it done! Moreover, there's a difference between being a Pro-Bowler and being an All-Pro. All-Pro means you're widely considered the best!

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

That's a compelling argument. You'd probably acknowledge that he could end up being the real deal, but, like you intimate, he could flop! Who knows?

He could, he really could be the real deal. The percent chance of him doing so, based on what we've seen, just isn't as high as some of the others that will be available. This is like planning on marrying the hot new girl that showed up in your school, but you haven't even talked to her yet.

Yeah, she could be the one, but it's just as likely she's a psycho that will haunt you for years. Might be smarter to ask that girl you've been friends with for years, yanno the one who has always been an overachiever, steadfast, true, low maintenance and somehow knows just what you need.

Okay, I think I've run that metaphor enough, so understand?

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Well, you'd be wrong.

Third rounder... LOLOLOL

Not sure what you mean wrong about? Oh, that you and saXman the freaky were talking about the guy over a month ago? It's a turn of phrase man. How about flash in the pan? Flavor of the Moment? Newest car on the hype train?

And he won't be a third rounder, someone desperate will jump for him and pray for a miracle. I said I wouldn't risk more than a third rounder on him. And I wouldn't. At best.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I disagree about the hot take thing! There have been enough on the Huddle and elsewhere who've been more analytical about Hurney, especially when juxtaposing him against other GMs! I don't think it's a norm anywhere but here that Hurney is just some terrible GM! But, that being said, his teams have never finished the deal, so from that perspective he's fair game to all types of criticism, fair or not!

I'd say the office of the guy that fired him would be one place where people don't necessarily think he's all that great.

And LG is right. Every team in the league has great players they've drafted. Having your roster spotted with those guys isn't enough. You have to be able to build a complete roster.

Marty has consistently shown he's not capable of that. Heck, he hasn't built a roster that even made it to 500 since 2009. And "2.0"s highest win title started at 7 and kept going down.

He wasn't good enough, and thankfully now he's gone.

48 minutes ago, top dawg said:

No one is contributing ALL of that to Hurney, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to not give the man some props, particularly for his first round picks and acquisition of other Pro-Bowlers. He has done a notable job at that, and it's really not debatable. That being said, his teams haven't gotten it done! Moreover, there's a difference between being a Pro-Bowler and being an All-Pro. All-Pro means you're widely considered the best!

Yes they are.  Watch the video the dude from Walter football quotes just that and attributes it all to Hurney.  Like I said its not factual.

Archived