• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fields dropping in McShays draft

raleigh-panther

3 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

You’re getting poo’d but youre right. 

We clearly need an upgrade at QB but if the right guy isnt there why waste a Top 10 pick and pray he pans out when we also have a clear need at MLB and theres a guy that could lead our defense for a decade there?

there are more ways to get a QB than having a Top 10 pick. Id much rather have the cant miss MLB who could very well be the missing piece to an elite defense than picking a QB with a bunch of question marks (all of them except Lawrence have them) and hoping it’s “the guy”

I understand the reticence to draft a QB top 10 just because we desperately need one. Do these QBs entering the draft have some warts? Yes, but nothing even close to an ongoing sexual assault investigation.

The actions included wrestling underclassmen to the ground while maintaining restraint, simulating a “humping” action; wrestling underclassmen to the ground while another participant placed his genitals on the face of underclassmen; and instances of the participants placing their genitals on the buttocks of the alleged victims and stroking their genitalia.

There's also the knife fighting and screaming "I'm gonna Sandusky you!"

Do we need a MLB? Yes. Desperately? Maybe.

Desperately enough to spend a top 10 pick on one who might be just as likely be roaming sideline to sideline for San Quinten for a decade as for the Panthers.

Gross Matos has been implicated in this incident as well. If even an iota of what has been alleged is true, would you really want those two guys together in your lockerroom?

17 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The reason he dropped is the reason he didn't last.

I grant Marty not being the one picking is a positive, but I'm still not a fan of taking players that a bunch of other teams are letting drop.

Worked out OK for Dan Marino, Thurman Thomas, Aaron Rodgers, Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, Desean Jackson, Lesean McCoy, Lamarr Woodley, Dez Bryant, Justin Houston, Laramy Tunsil, DK Metcalf, etc

Not sure who the hosts were but the morning show on ESPNU today were talking about how fields is dropping from his preseason ranking.  Obviously Wilson has leaped him by bounds and they were speculating how far he is going to fall.  The Indy and Northwestern game exposed him and if he messes up vs Clemson he may want to consider going back to school. 

1 hour ago, X-Clown said:

Worked out OK for Dan Marino, Thurman Thomas, Aaron Rodgers, Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, Desean Jackson, Lesean McCoy, Lamarr Woodley, Dez Bryant, Justin Houston, Laramy Tunsil, DK Metcalf, etc

Were any of those picked by the Panthers?

Mentioned above there's two kinds of fallers. We've long been more likely to pick the wrong kind.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Were any of those picked by the Panthers?

Mentioned above there's two kinds of fallers. We've long been more likely to pick the wrong kind.

No - but your post was to say that you wanted to stay away from guys that other teams are letting fall. Just because our incompetent former owner who only wanted choir boys and our 2 time ex GM that falls in love with project players didn't make those picks doesn't mean someone else can't.

The OSU thing scares me a bit, but at the end of the day it's about the player and whether or not he can be coached up and learn. From all reports, Fields has the tools and has improved his reads.  He honestly might end up being the type of "project" we're looking for, with a year (or piece of a year) to learn while Teddy dinks and dunks his way to a few wins. 

May have been Trent Dilfer or someone on Ryen Russilo's podcast, but they were talking about Tua and his struggles adjusting right now.  For a lot of the power school QBs it makes sense, as they come into the league used to throwing to guys who are "Alabama open".  Same for OSU QBs, they're used to putting up huge stats throwing to guys who are absolutely dominant on the field and the tough passes are rarely made until they get to the NFL.  This year, Tua is constantly waiting on guys to get "Alabama open" instead of anticipating the route and cutting it loose.  Seems like a lot of the big school QBs could stand to sit and learn for a while as they adjust or learn to play the game a bit different than the easy route they had in college. 

1 hour ago, X-Clown said:

No - but your post was to say that you wanted to stay away from guys that other teams are letting fall. Just because our incompetent former owner who only wanted choir boys and our 2 time ex GM that falls in love with project players didn't make those picks doesn't mean someone else can't.

That's the thing. I'm not saying that catching a falling star is in and of itself a bad thing. I am saying that the Panthers have been bad at it.

And yeah, it's mostly Marty, but not only Marty. Seifert did it with Rashard Anderson. Still, the hope is that the next GM is smarter.

You really do have to judge on an individual basis though. And individually speaking, Fields concerns me.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:08 PM, Panthers8969 said:

I would be interested in the data if anyone has it on a macro level of "falling star" prospects and how they panned out. Anecdotal examples like Star and Little don't really mean anything.

Jimmy Pickles 

season 8 episode 21 GIF

I put a lot of time into this research for you. As you can see the data on the first three cycles represent his high school and college ascension. Quarter four outward denotes the very first day he dawned a Panther Jersey. Please do your own homework next time!

23 hours ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

He has Mac Jones as his 4th QB now. Which is hilarious. 

Tankathon has Fields at 2 still FWIW. 

According to this article, Jones is still the 5th QB at 31. This is consistent with where I've seen him on most mock drafts. I still think Jones could be a franchise QB from the little I've seen/read. 

On 12/31/2020 at 12:41 PM, Mr. Scot said:

That's the thing. I'm not saying that catching a falling star is in and of itself a bad thing. I am saying that the Panthers have been bad at it.

And yeah, it's mostly Marty, but not only Marty. Seifert did it with Rashard Anderson. Still, the hope is that the next GM is smarter.

You really do have to judge on an individual basis though. And individually speaking, Fields concerns me.

Bump

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He redeemed himself pretty well. Still has to play Alabama, but looked great tonight.

Of course, this game likely takes away any chance of his being a falling star.

If Rhule likes him. Just go get him  

I think without Hurney the Panthers aren’t in the market for falling stars 

Archived