• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dolphins' GM commits to Tua in '21

LinvilleGorge

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd be surprised too, but there's usually something surprising in most every NFL draft. I was mildly surprised that Brown made it to us at #7 last year.

The most WTF first round I can remember of late was 2013 when the Dolphins traded up to #3 to take Dion Jordan and everything after that just went straight to hell.

What I don't like to think about is that the general manager who orchestrated that deal is now a leading candidate to be ours :Eyes_Emoji_42x42:

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

The most WTF first round I can remember of late was 2013 when the Dolphins traded up to #3 to take Dion Jordan and everything after that just went straight to hell.

What I don't like to think about is that the general manager who orchestrated that deal is now a leading candidate to be ours :Eyes_Emoji_42x42:

For me it was Al Davis drafting a kicker in the 1st round. LOL!

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

For the record, I'm fine with targeting someone and going to get them. I'm not sure who that someone should be but if I had to name a name right now it's be Zach Wilson for me.  But if we target Fields or Lance, whatever. Just go get me a damn QB. As much as I love Howell, he's still a year away and this overall QB class is almost certainly much stronger than next year's and we are sitting on the 8th overall pick. Gotta go get a guy this year IMO.

You know, this got me thinking.  Jacksonville, the Jets, and one or two other top 10 teams (Atlanta, Philly, Detroit, us?) are going to get their QB of the future this year.  Miami is on the upswing...even if Tua doesn't pan out to the level they hope, and the Bengals and Texans have their guy.  So, who will likely be the team bad enough to get the #1 pick and win the Howell lottery?  And will they even need a QB?  

Even if the Jets get Wilson or Fields, they are still going to be a bad team, and a likely contender for the #1 pick in 2022.  So, what if they throw  a major curve ball nobody expects.  What if they decide to go another year with Darnold in order to build the team around the QB and accumulate more capital before going all in on their QB next year?  Especially if they see Howell as a better prospect than any QB this year not named Trevor Lawrence.  What if, instead of taking Fields or Wilson at #2, they trade down for a 1st next year along with multiple other high value picks. 

Since they would almost certainly want to stay in the top ten, that would put us in a position to possibly move up and take our pick between the top three guys after Lawrence.  If they wait a year, and take an offensive playmaker like Smith or Pitts while adding future picks, they could set themselves up to make a big splash in 2022.  

I'm surprised they committed to Tua.  Underwhelming is the best I can say for him.

I don't think there is anything of a reasonable nature we could offer Miami to move them down.  The reasons are twofold.

First, the Dolphins don't actually need anything right now.  They've got more draft capital in this draft than any other team, and it's not really close.  There will be some great players available at that spot who are not QB's, and you can never have enough great players.

Secondly, because of the nature of the QB's in this draft that pick is worth more than the "numbers" say it is.  Someone is going to offer some obscene amount of capital to get into that slot.  I hope it's not us.

Committing to Tua for 2021 does not mean the Dolphins will not draft a QB early in the next draft. I do think it along with the Gailey resignation (firing?) does make it less likely. However, Tua has not looked good at all in the games I saw. It appears as though Gailey is being made the scapegoat.

The difference in play between Tua and Herbert is VAST and the person that decided to select Tua over Herbert has to be feeling the heat. I suspect what we are witnessing is a doubling down on that selection....an escalation of commitment. I further suspect that it will backfire badly.

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

If we targeted Lance, I seriously doubt we'd need to trade up to number three to get him.

You never really know. Wilson has been the hot new thing lately but some of it may be recency bias and when teams really start digging deep into their scouting, some could easily fall in love with Lance over Wilson. I'm fairly confident in Fields being the 2nd QB taken (100% that Lawrence goes 1st overall, whether it's JAX or a shocking trade), but really have no idea where Lance or Wilson will go. 

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We want to be clear: Tua is our starter and we are pleased with his development," Grier reiterated, according to NFL Network's Michael Giardi

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2085534

Here's my question...

Did the #3 overall pick just get put on the auction block? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'd have no issues sitting tight and taking Sewell or Chase, but...

Yes - and we should be actively trying to trade for it.  Hopefully it's the first thing the new GM does

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I thought Baker Mayfield going #1 was a WTF moment. 

Archived