• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer: Panthers could make multiple front office hires

TheSpecialJuan

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Everyone loves the idea of getting the smartest GM and the smartest coach etc. That’s hard to do though.

Building a team of people that together is just as good or better than some savant isn’t a bad idea and may be better.

To me, it’s very encouraging that our owner isn’t just hiring some GM because he doesn’t have any alternative.

We need innovative thinking if we’re going to get an advantage.

Like I said, Rob Ryan and Chip Kelly were examples of "innovative thinking" too.

More to the point though, it goes against the kind of support Matt Rhule has said he wants.

"Great at personnel...great at building a roster...great at finding talent"

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Like I said, Rob Ryan and Chip Kelly were examples of "innovative thinking" too.

More to the point though, it goes against the kind of support Matt Rhule has said he wants.

"Great at personnel...great at building a roster...great at finding talent"

Nice cherry picking of examples.

I think most reasonable people would agree that ‘innovation’ isn’t 100% fool proof. However, you can’t get an advantage by not taking risks. 

Besides, do you really think the traditional GM role is the best and only way to do it? That’s pretty silly.

As far as Rhule’s comments go, I didn’t hear him say he only wanted to work with ONE person on those things.

Admittedly, I like this idea because it’s what I would do. If my choices are getting one guy who is nothing special, or putting together a small team made up of individuals who are great at their respective areas, I’d go for the team every time. It just makes sense.

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Nice cherry picking of examples.

I think most reasonable people would agree that ‘innovation’ isn’t 100% fool proof. However, you can’t get an advantage by not taking risks.

Besides, do you really think the traditional GM role is the best and only way to do it? That’s pretty silly.

As far as Rhule’s comments go, I didn’t hear him say he only wanted to work with ONE person on those things.

Admittedly, I like this idea because it’s what I would do. If my choices are getting one guy who is nothing special, or putting together a small team made up of individuals who are great at their respective areas, I’d go for the team every time. It just makes sense.

Yeah, "one guy who is nothing special" is a lousy idea. That's why you hire a guy who is something special.

Get a GM like Rhule wants, a guy who knows talent and knows how to build a roster, and then if you wanna hire fifteen other guys to be VP of Body Fat Analysis or whatever else you want, feel free.

But if you don't have that one guy in there who can put it all together, the rest is just goofy bullsh-t.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, "one guy who is nothing special" is a lousy idea. That's why you hire a guy who is something special.

And if that guy isn’t there? What do you do, just get whoever? 

Hall of fame GM’s don’t just materialize. This is the real world.

Its only goofy if you’re old and stuck in the ‘way it’s always been’. 

Maybe we find a great GM, but this is a good alternative.

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

And if that guy isn’t there? What do you do, just get whoever? 

Hall of fame GM’s don’t just materialize. This is the real world.

Its only goofy if you’re old and stuck in the ‘way it’s always been’. 

Maybe we find a great GM, but this is a good alternative.

or maybe it ends up being another in the growing list of Tepper's blunders

49 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Crazy.

I know Tepper loves the whole idea of doing something offbeat and it turning out great. You know who else liked sort of thing? Rob Ryan, Chip Kelly...oh, and Marty Hurney.

When he was asked what he wanted in a GM, Matt Rhule made it clear that he wanted a talent evaluator that could help him put together a good roster. So if Tepper wants to get goofy with it he's going against the wishes of his head coach.

Said before, if I had a financial question I'd certainly ask David Tepper. When it comes to football though, I doubt I'd let him set my fantasy football lineup.

As an NFL owner, he hasn't proven a thing yet.

"offbeat" ≠ thinking outside the box.

Archived