• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Athletic Mock

raleigh-panther

1 hour ago, jb2288 said:

They don't hurt my argument at all. He's been a P5 starter for 3 years, gotten better which accumulated to a great final year that played him into the top 10. His 'step back' last year was due to injury. I like Lance a lot.. just don't think it's even remotely close to say Wilson and Lance have the same concerns. 

The concern is that they’ve only played one good year of football. 

4 hours ago, OldhamA said:

You'd be happy sitting the #8 overall pick for two years?!

You have to remember the dude has basically had one year of competitive throwing the football in the last three years. He’s probably thousands of practice throws behind Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, heck even Mac Jones and Kyle Trask. He played his second year of college ball, took time off, had a few practices to get ready for a game in 2020 and then took more time off. I know he is throwing and running to get ready for the combine but you are setting him up for failure if you put him out there year 1 for sure. The speed of the game at the NFL level is going to kill him. 

Then go back even further: he ran an offense in high school that barely threw the ball. That’s why he got basically no scholarships to play football as a QB. Not because he wasn’t talented but because he didn’t have anything to show. He wasn’t throwing 30 balls a practice. They were running, he gets to college and sits a year basically, not getting first team reps, plays and starts his second year and their offense is majorly run dominant, and then his third year he plays one game. Practices enough for one game. 

that’s not a lot of throwing at all. You wouldn’t throw him into the fire year 1 regardless but he’s probably a year behind in his development as well. Plus it gives us time to build somewhat of a line while he’s learning without getting him killed or causing an kid who doesn’t throw a lot to rush his mechanics and create season long bad habits. 

We need to be smart. 

19 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

The attraction is valid.  The concerns are valid too.  This is where the Pro day and meetings will decide his fate with us.  I think he'll be available at 8 but if we don't do our homework on this guy we could be getting another bad egg.

I am glad we have the Senior Bowl to evaluate other QBs.  It might be better to gamble on a lower round QB that to try and strike it rich with a one year wonder.

One QB I could see us going after in the late rounds maybe even UDFA (due to an ACL tear in 2020) is Mike Penix Jr. from Indiana.   I saw him in a couple of games this year including against OSU and he looked dynamic.  

Below is a pretty good article on his prospect.   The writer addresses both good and bad points about him. One was his completion rate but the games I saw his receivers (outside Ty Fryfogie) consistently dropped perfectly thrown balls. 

2021 NFL Draft Player Profile – Michael Penix Jr. | Important Nonsense

I was looking into him as well. I wasn't sure if he decided to declare or return for next season tho.

21 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Lance should be the pick at #8 if he's still available. LOL at the post that said he'll drop to the bottom of the first round.  0% chance he drops past #15 if we are dumb enough to pass on him.

I dont think he will drop there but that is his value

Lance def isn’t the most polished QB prospect in this draft.  His tape screams project, but there is no doubt about it he has all the tools you want in a QB in today’s NFL.  He has prototype size, elite mobility and arm strength.  You just can’t teach those traits.  But as with those with accuracy issues coming into the pros, with the right coaching staff improvements can be made.  Decision making can be improved as well.  

The bottom line is do we trust Rhule to turn this guy into the star he can be?   It’s a gamble no doubt, but the ceiling is so high it’s probably worth it at our selection.  Guys with his skills just don’t come around often.  It’s also not that difficult coming into the league and playing QB anymore.  The rules are skewed in your favor and teams run college offenses these days.  Those with talent can play quickly...

11 hours ago, Shocker said:

Pretty hard pressed to think of a prospect with more question marks than Trey Lance.  He isn't a good passer right now, amongst the many other things that worry me.  I wouldn't draft him honestly.  He will be a massive disappointment.

Where do you get that he isn't a good passer?  I've watched several of his games, and he is a great passer.  The biggest issue is that since he came from a lower level of competition, he will likely need some time to adjust to the complexities of defenses he will face.  Sure, he needs to tighten some things up technically, but so does every college QB, including Lawrence.  But he's nowhere near as raw as many here seem to think.

Archived