Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Is Tua an option? Appears to be trouble in paradise...


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Tua had ups and downs in his first season. Let's look at some facts of his season though.

1 - Tua hadn't played in an entire year due to a horrific injury. 

2 - He came back from this injury, not playing in a year, with no rookie camp, no pre-season, and very limited training camp.

3 - Tua played in very rare circumstances for a rookie QB. He was thrown into the fire of a playoff race.

4 - Tua as a rookie was playing behind 3 rookie offensive linemen that was very inconsistent picking up blitzes and different looks. 

5 - Miami also had very little running game to help the situation. Some due to a young line, the rest due to not having any skill in the backfield.

6 - Miami has one of the worst, if not the worst set of weapons in the entire NFL. In 3 games towards the end of the season, Mack Hollins was their top target. Tua had Miami's best (not good) receivers for 2 games. He beat the Rams and the Cardinals, playing really well against the Cardinals.

7 - Chan Gailey was the OC in Buffalo when Fitzpatrick played there. Chan was hired last offseason to bring in a system that Fitz could thrive in. His system does not fit the strengths of Tua at all.  Chan has now "retired" again.

 

I think you could look back through the entire history of the NFL, and it would be tough to find a rookie QB that has been faced with these circumstances. The jury is by far still out on Tua. Give him some weapons that can create quick space, and can win at the too of their routes, give him a RB, and an OC who has a system that fits his strengths, I think Tua will do really well. 

Also, don't listen to the media narrative about Fitz being their closer. Fitz came in and won ONE game against the Raiders. That was the ONLY time he "saved" the day. Raiders had just fired their DC, Marinelli stepped in and changed some looks. Gailey admitted Tua had never seen those looks, and he did not have him prepared for those looks. The game was still 16-13 when the change was made. 

 

Tua to Carolina

Teddy to Houston with other assets 

Watson to Miami

 

Can we get watson instead? We can send teddy and other assests as well

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tua is a much better passer than Trey Lance and I agree its really questionable that even he ends up being good.  Still, I wouldn’t give up on Tua just yet.

Seriously if we trade #8 for Tua straight up I would be pretty happy with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Tua had ups and downs in his first season. Let's look at some facts of his season though.

1 - Tua hadn't played in an entire year due to a horrific injury. 

2 - He came back from this injury, not playing in a year, with no rookie camp, no pre-season, and very limited training camp.

3 - Tua played in very rare circumstances for a rookie QB. He was thrown into the fire of a playoff race.

4 - Tua as a rookie was playing behind 3 rookie offensive linemen that was very inconsistent picking up blitzes and different looks. 

5 - Miami also had very little running game to help the situation. Some due to a young line, the rest due to not having any skill in the backfield.

6 - Miami has one of the worst, if not the worst set of weapons in the entire NFL. In 3 games towards the end of the season, Mack Hollins was their top target. Tua had Miami's best (not good) receivers for 2 games. He beat the Rams and the Cardinals, playing really well against the Cardinals.

7 - Chan Gailey was the OC in Buffalo when Fitzpatrick played there. Chan was hired last offseason to bring in a system that Fitz could thrive in. His system does not fit the strengths of Tua at all.  Chan has now "retired" again.

 

I think you could look back through the entire history of the NFL, and it would be tough to find a rookie QB that has been faced with these circumstances. The jury is by far still out on Tua. Give him some weapons that can create quick space, and can win at the too of their routes, give him a RB, and an OC who has a system that fits his strengths, I think Tua will do really well. 

Also, don't listen to the media narrative about Fitz being their closer. Fitz came in and won ONE game against the Raiders. That was the ONLY time he "saved" the day. Raiders had just fired their DC, Marinelli stepped in and changed some looks. Gailey admitted Tua had never seen those looks, and he did not have him prepared for those looks. The game was still 16-13 when the change was made. 

 

Tua to Carolina

Teddy to Houston with other assets 

Watson to Miami

 

I thought I saw somewhere last week where Miami had no intentions of giving up on Tua.

Every point you made is accurate too.  Too many variables that put Tua behind the eight ball.  

What I find funny is if we draft Lance, he's going to face the same thing Tua did in Miami unless we somehow build an O-line this season. Granted he will have, by far, a better receiving corps and a solid running game but if we don't keep the pressure off him.  He's gonna have a rookie season where some are going to question the pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shocker said:

Tua is a much better passer than Trey Lance and I agree its really questionable that even he ends up being good.  Still, I wouldn’t give up on Tua just yet.

Seriously if we trade #8 for Tua straight up I would be pretty happy with that.

He was a better passer when at Alabama, where he was on a team that had much more talent than the opponents did.  Whether he is a better passer in the NFL with a more even distribution of talent is anyone's guess.  While the jury is still out on him, the one game I saw him play made Teddy B look like a accomplished deep ball passer by comparison.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shocker said:

Tua is a much better passer than Trey Lance and I agree its really questionable that even he ends up being good.  Still, I wouldn’t give up on Tua just yet.

Seriously if we trade #8 for Tua straight up I would be pretty happy with that.

If a team is ready to move on from a guy who they just picked #3 overall less than a year ago, you sure as hell don't want to spend the #8 overall on him in a trade. They're convinced he's not a franchise QB if they move him that quickly.

Honestly, I'm rooting for the kid. I hope another off-season of recovery sees him physically much improved next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dinkin Flicka said:

This just shows you how hit or miss even sure thing quarterbacks are in the nfl. Everyone was all tank for Tua now no one wants him. 

There's no such thing as a sure thing and Tua wasn't even close to it after that hip injury. The guy Bo Jackson'd himself. I was really surprised he went as high as he did after that. I just think the Dolphins had been in love for awhile and were going to draft him come hell or high water if they had the opportunity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dinkin Flicka said:

This just shows you how hit or miss even sure thing quarterbacks are in the nfl. Everyone was all tank for Tua now no one wants him. 

Yep.  QB is a high risk reward type of pick.  A bust there can cost a coach and or GM their job.  As far as tua goes he was not my favorite last year but rookie seasons are not indicative of finished product.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If a team is ready to move on from a guy who they just picked #3 overall less than a year ago, you sure as hell don't want to spend the #8 overall on him in a trade. They're convinced he's not a franchise QB if they move him that quickly.

Honestly, I'm rooting for the kid. I hope another off-season of recovery sees him physically much improved next year. 

Yeah I would.  The options in this draft are limited and I like Tua.  I don’t mind taking risks on an accurate QB that costs 1 pick.  Trading up is going be expensive 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shocker said:

Yeah I would.  The options in this draft are limited and I like Tua.  I don’t mind taking risks on an accurate QB that costs 1 pick.  Trading up is going be expensive 

The biggest competitive advantage in the modern NFL since the rookie wage scale is an elite QB on a rookie contract. If you're willing to trade a guy after one season, you're VERY sure he ain't it. The last guy to be traded after one year is Josh Rosen. After being drafted in 2018, he's been on four different rosters and honestly might be done in the NFL already. Now, I think the situations are very different as Rosen seems arrogant and uncoachable while Tua seems like a great guy who is very physically limited but the commonality between the two of Tua gets moved is that the team that drafted them will have become very convinced in very short order that this guy is not the answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't trade our first for Tua straight up but I would consider him as a package to move down (no idea how this would work out).

I don't think the Dolphins will move on from him so soon. Some of the comments in the linked article originated in the preseason too, and it specifically notes that feelings may have changed regarding his physical abilities during the season.   But when I did see him he didn't look great. 

I still maintain that organization did him and all the players a disservice by benching Fitz.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...