• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

KK Short - did you know?

Zod

10 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Blunder? How so, would you have not signed KK at that point? I know it didn’t work out. But unless you have a secret ability to see into the future, nobody argued when KK signed. 

Marty restructured his deal converting non-guaranteed salary to guaranteed bonus to create more cap room on the front end by committing more cap to the back end. It's why we're going to eat more dead money on KK's deal when we release him, likely designated as a post-June 1st cut. It's something that Marty has done time and time again with aging vets who should be on the chopping block.

Once his deal is finalized in Washington, look for Landon Collins and/or Kendall Fuller to get the "Hurney restructure".

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He had two good years and an injury year. After that we should have cut bait. The signing was fine. People can complain about the $$$ and if it was worth it but until Gano had a bad year and the OL was wrecked by injury we thought we had a playoff team And we got back there in Short’s second year. We didn’t get good value on the money overall but that’s because we kept him in a rebuilding year. Gettleman made it a 3 year deal with easy outs. Marty restructured and forced himself to keep him for 2020.

I stand corrected finally found the article referencing the restructure. But so what, it helped us then and only hurt a little bit. We are mainly focused on being done with the overhaul in 2 more years anyway based on contracts so it will be off the books by then regardless.

shy of us getting Watson the Panthers will be in rebuild mode for another 2 years at least with a perfect draft. Keep that in mind, only us Getting Watson will move that timeline up.

Edited by Doc Holiday

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

He didn't pay himself that money. I don't blame any of the players on the team for taking the money they did.

Blame the franchise or Hurney or whoever for bungling so many deals. I'll never blame a player for getting the most they can get for themselves. 

No, but if you sign the contract, you better play up to it.  His cap number doubles from last year to this year.  He has $16m guaranteed. 
A post June 1 cut saves the team $10m.

Throw in KK, who has a post June 1 cut figure of $14.5m.

Bridgewater is on the payroll either way through this season.

The nearly $25 million you would save by cutting KK and Shaq is not available during this free agency period, obviously.

Paradis could save us $8.5m in a post June 1 cut.

I say cut KK post June 1, and if anyone in camp comes close to Paradis and Thompson, cut them as well.  If we cut the three post June 1, then TB after this season, we could enter 2022 down $55m. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Zod said:

KK Short' contract is currently the fourth most expensive contract for an interior defensive lineman for the upcoming 2021 season. 

The team would save around 9 million in cap space if they part ways.

Better to find a good trade for him than cut him outright this year I think. KK and a 2022 1st + 3rd wouldn't be horrible for Watson. Outside of Watson there are a lot of options out there KK could be traded for maximum value overall.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It was dumb to pay Short for one year. Even the people who disagreed with me before the season all said just cut him in 2021. With cap rollover why waste $13M for an older DT coming off of a risky injury? It made no sense. My worry is that Marty forced himself into that by restructuring him to force in some more win now FAs (leading to 5-11 in 2019). Maybe without the restructuring, Marty decides to cut bait. Maybe not. The restructure didn’t mean anything once you kept Short.

My biggest issue is that we all seem to be in rebuild agreement now and honestly we’d be in a much, much better place if we really started the rebuild in earnest this past year. Imagine how much more happier we’d be if we tied the Jaguars and had Trevor coming or had 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th round comp picks to soften the blow of trading a few picks for Watson. Could still get a bunch of IOL to go with him. Now we kind of can’t do either.

Look at our cap situation, next year we are projected to have $130m in cap space and the year after we another +60m with Shaq and bridgewaters contracts being very cut’able if we wanted another 20+ million on top of that. 

complaining shorts contract currently with those numbers is Irrelevant. If we can’t do what we want the next few years with those numbers you need to be fired.

our biggest hold up is we need a QB, until we have another franchise QB we are in a forever hiding pattern. Look at the current playoffs. Unless you have a good QB you’re not getting there in today NFL.

37 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Who thought that when it happened? I don’t remember hearing anyone complain at all at the time. Yeah I’m hind sight it was a bad contract. But that happens sometimes, that’s not something a GM could control.

I sure did.  It's been a common theme in BOA to extend aging injury riddled fan favorites beyond their expiration date.  I was again Nippleshorts extending him as well but I have control over what happens in BOA.  Maybe the new brain trust will have a different approach.  One can only hope.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, GPantherfan said:

Hopefully he and the team can restructure his current contract or sign a extension with a rational cap number. We got to pay him 9 million either way. 

Pull the band-aid off now and cut your losses.  They have paid him a butt load of money to sit on the beach for damn near 3 seasons.  Hell no to another extension.

• Pie 1

Rhule and Co.  are focused on getting production from the bottom of the roster--overachievers, for lack of a better word.  If you expect that, nothing kills motivation more than underachieving players at the top of the roster.

When Carter stepped up and took Whitehead's job--and played (in my opinion) near the level Shaq was playing, I would look at paychecks.

I had a college teammate friend who signed a second contract after a pro bowl season--for $2m per season (not sure how much at this time--this was 30 years ago), a lot of $$$ back then. I called to congratulate him a few weeks later.  He said something interesting (paraphrased):  "This ain't no reward for making the pro bowl.  This is my deal with the fans. I gotta be as good or better than every other player making $2m or less.  They are the people who are paying me.  I better step up or they should show me out." 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I sure did.  It's been a common theme in BOA to extend aging injury riddled fan favorites beyond their expiration date.  I was again Nippleshorts extending him as well but I have control over what happens in BOA.  Maybe the new brain trust will have a different approach.  One can only hope.

It didn’t extend his contract only moved his money around. Nobody complained when he signed his original.