• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Todd McShay is CONVINCED we will move on from Teddy

JABANOG

22 hours ago, Basbear said:

Rich Gannon got better at a late stage, Kurt Warner did too. Odds are not in Teddys favor, AT ALL. Mainly Im hoping he gets better, cause Id dont see a smart move to move on this year. The team needed TDs, CMC had 6 TDs in three games. I feel lots of the teddy hate, needs to be on CMC. It was a short weird convid offseason and Joe Brady never install a offense before. Teddy was new to carolina too, many reasons for his lack of play. 

Gannon and Warner had better tools overall, and Gannon should have been starting in KC way before he went to Oakland.  He always looked very solid when playing but for some reason Schottenheimer, not exactly an offensive mastermind, felt the need to go with guys like Bono and Grbac. I think Gannon was  a bit ahead of the times in terms of his general athleticism at the position.

21 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I'm not saying Brady wasn't at fault and I don't think that he's some sort of messiah, he screwed up a ton this year, but the players and coaches giving interviews use "coachspeak" for a reason.  Easy answer was "there were some issues towards the end of the game, but we all gotta be better in those situations so in the future we walk away with a win".  Simple, that's the coach speak answer, saying your coach wasn't getting the calls in on time is going out of your way to make that publicly known where as usually that is an internal matter.  just to reiterate, Its not that he's not right, he most likely is, but answers like that rub coaches the wrong way.

Fair assessment, but I don't think that's what he meant to do. I mean he always says the right thing. Is he the guy that's said 1,000 "right things" over the past 8 years, or the guy whose said the wrong thing a handful of times?

5 minutes ago, PandaMan said:

Plus, like... DJ was wide open in the end zone not even 10 yards away and he missed him completely.  I understand that since the call was late he might not have been sure of the route DJ was running without hesitating, but he was WIDE open.  A starting QB would’ve taken accountability for that and admitted that he fuged up.  “I have to make a better throw in that situation”

I'd have to go back, I do think he comments on that, but this was about the the time management issue, and not the play itself. He was directly asked and responded about the time management issue.

3 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Gannon and Warner had better tools overall, and Gannon should have been starting in KC way before he went to Oakland.  He always looked very solid when playing but for some reason Schottenheimer, not exactly an offensive mastermind, felt the need to go with guys like Bono and Grbac. I think Gannon was  a bit ahead of the times in terms of his general athleticism at the position.

Fair assessment. Teddy's problem is he's closer to Chad Pennington, so even when he's playing his best his ceiling is lower because of his arm strength. And age catches up to guys like that faster. He can get it done with a good surrounding cast, but he can't carry you.

• Pie 1

And if we don't get Deshaun you can bet your bottom dollar there will be a LOT of talks between the Panthers and Jets/Dolphins. 

If the Dolphins don't get Deshaun I could see them doing a deal of 3 for 8 plus other stuff. They would likely still get the same player at 8 they wanted at 3 tbh. 

17 hours ago, joemac said:

Rich Gannon had Tim Brown and Jerry Rice to throw to. Kurt Warner had Marshall Faulk, Torrey Holt and Issac Bruce.

CMC, Roddy ANderson, DJ Moore are not chopped liver. A couple of them could be HOFers. So if Teddy stays(unlikely)- will he have less, more, or the same numbers/impact? His first year staring since 2015(?), Brady first time installing O, new to queen, lost CMC early, no TE, no OTAs, no training camp, no off-season group trips, played hurt after TB, convid BS, etc etc. People have been far too hard on him. I believe, given ALL that listed, he could improve some. Thats my hope too, since we're on the hook for part of his salary. People act like he was the worst QB in NFL history, he played average and got a average check. Its not a win or lost. He set career highs with all of that too. 

• Poo 1

19 hours ago, RoaringRiot said:

We love to blame Hurney for every bad move the Panthers make but for some reason we attach Teddy to Rhule and for the life of me I cant understand why. It was such a desperate move and only one person in a decision making role was desperate. 

I had always figured it was primarily Joe Brady who lobbied for Teddy. Was surprised when you told us who was really responsible.

It makes perfect sense though. We read well before things really got started that Marty believed the team could win now rather than having to rebuild.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I had always figured it was primarily Joe Brady who lobbied for Teddy. Was surprised when you told us who was really responsible.

It makes perfect sense though. We read well before things really got started that Marty believed the team could win now rather than having to rebuild.

from the man who brought us Jimmy Clausen.  The one true Hurney draft. 

19 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I would surmise that given how wrong that assessment turn out to be may have had something to do with the choice to hire Fitterer. 

Gotta throw the Greg Little disaster in there too.

Tepper gave some pretty clear indications last offseason that he didn't think Marty was doing a good job on the pro side. That's where all the talk about hiring an assistant GM with a pro personnel background came from.

That he still seemed to think Marty could be valuable as a drafter worried me, but I guess ultimately he just decided to move on completely.

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

from the man who brought us Jimmy Clausen.  The one true Hurney draft. 

I was feeling a little masochistic so I went back and looked at that draft.

Round 2 - Jimmy Clausen
Round 3 - Brandon LaFell
Round 3b - Armanti Edwards 🙄
Round 4 - Eric Norwood (did he ever play a down?)
Round 6 - He Who Shall Not Be Named
Round 6b - David Gettis (the greatest receiver in Panther history)
Round 6c - Jordan Pugh
Round 6d - Tony Pike (because Clausen alone wasn't enough)
Round 7 - R.J. Stanford
Round 7b - Robert McClain

33 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Marty had a 0% chance at a new contract if Will Grier was the QB. He wasn't going to survive a tanking season

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I heard Jeff Nixon played a big role, Rhule said so in one of his pressers. I was surprised by RR too, hes in my circle of trust.