• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dark horse QB option: Derek Carr?

FuFuLamePoo

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

I don't believe he did. His rep is for not being able to manage QBs.

He got enough of one to be given an ESPN show for it. And honestly, the show was good.

With that said, asking Jon Gruden for advice on how to develop a quarterback is a lot like acting Tommy Wiseau how to become an  award winning actor/director.

Just now, BurnNChinn said:

Yeah stick with Teddy because we are not getting a good qb in the draft, probably have a chance at 5th option. No thanks 

Starting teddy this year was always the plan, having a rookie qb sit and learn was the plan.  We will have options at 8.  All 4 qb's will not be gone.  I suspect we will have a choice of 2 of the 4.

Our roster is not strong enough to deal away picks

• Beer 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Starting teddy this year was always the plan, having a rookie qb sit and learn was the plan.  We will have options at 8.  All 4 qb's will not be gone.  I suspect we will have a choice of 2 of the 4.

Our roster is not strong enough to deal away picks

Choice of the 2 out of 4 with all the teams behind us wanting qbs too. Good luck with that!

10 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Not sure where the worries about his contract are, would be two years with $19M a year on the books. He'd be earning less than Teddy. And I don't think Carr is a bad QB at all, but his coach has never successfully developed a QB.

There's a reasonable contract and player that might be worth taking a good look at.

While still on the hook for TB's dead money so this makes no sense. Even when it came to Stafford, no one is trading for TB to lessen his hit on the books. 

Makes sense to draft a QB whether we trade up, or at #8 if Lance is there, and have the rookie sit for a 1/4 or 1/2 of the season; and then let them play it out. TB's cap hit after 2021 is 5M dead money, if we move on from him this off-season it's 20M. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/teddy-bridgewater-14441/

We don't have the cap to waste on that amount of dead money after what we just went through this past off-season and jettisoning veterans and taking the cap hits. 

13 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I think I agree with this. I’d say he’s slightly better than guys like Garropolo and Goff who were recently in Super Bowls, but I think I’d rather just try to hit it big in the draft

I'd say he is probably in that same class as Goff and Jimmy G. Average to below average NFL starters. 

I am not against it given the money left on his deal(slightly less than $20 mil in 2021/2022). I don't know how much I would be willing to give up in a trade since he might just get cut.

3 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

While still on the hook for TB's dead money so this makes no sense. Even when it came to Stafford, no one is trading for TB to lessen his hit on the books. 

Makes sense to draft a QB whether we trade up, or at #8 if Lance is there, and have the rookie sit for a 1/4 or 1/2 of the season; and then let them play it out. TB's cap hit after 2021 is 5M dead money, if we move on from him this off-season it's 20M. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/teddy-bridgewater-14441/

We don't have the cap to waste on that amount of dead money after what we just went through this past off-season and jettisoning veterans and taking the cap hits. 

I don't think we'll release Teddy at all. If someone took him in trade, then yeah, but I think we'll still have him on the roster come September barring that. 

If we draft someone as QB, then Teddy is someone you want to have on hand to help that player's development. And as a backup, he's a guy that can come in and run the team until the starting QB is back on the field. That $20m+ on the books is going to be there no matter what, so you might as well get some mileage out of him.

And I think that was the plan all along with Teddy. It's what I said going into last season after we picked him up. He's the guy for the moment, but he isn't the longterm plan.