• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Schefter thinks Darnold worth 1st rounder if traded

Ja  Rhule

ESPN's Adam Schefter thinks Sam Darnold could be worth a late first-round pick if traded.

This is not a report saying Darnold will fetch a late first-round pick, nor is it a report that Darnold will in fact be traded. Rather, it's his speculation after seeing what teams were offering for Matthew Stafford. The Jets haven't publicly shopped Darnold yet, but they certainly will be in the mix for Deshaun Watson if the Texans are willing to listen. Darnold, 24, has a career 6.6 yards per attempt average through three Adam Gase-led seasons. He hasn't played like a first-round pick under the worst circumstances, but 24-year-old quarterbacks with his pre-draft pedigree don't hit the market often. What the Jets do with their $63 million cap space and No. 2 overall pick is a leading offseason storyline.

Wtf is going on?  Dude only had 4 300+ yards passing games in 3 seasons and stats worse than Teddy Sewerwater.  Are the teams not value draft picks during pandemic? 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't know what to make of him. Gase is proven trash so maybe he really does have a chance to be good. But honestly, if I'm the Jets and I can't get a 1st for Darnold, I'm inclined to move him and use #2 to start over afresh with a new staff and a new QB and pickup an extra 1st in the process.

He's the one younger starter level QB I think would worth be exploring IF we don't land one in the draft.  I think we need to let that play out first if/when we don't land Watson. Watson, draft, then open season if no young stud is found. Darnold should then be one of the main targets IMO.

I think it's funny that everyone on this board has their favorite and everyone else is hot garbage.

Darnold is not that bad.  I think he has been put in the worst possible situation for a young QB.  He may not be the best option but he should be considered and option.

What i think is favorable is that his cost will not be too high.   I don't think anyone is going to offer a 1st for him.  Most believe the Jets are taking a QB with the 2nd pick and will move on from Darnold.  The Jets need to move him or lose him in FA in a couple of years without compensation.

Now is the time to get premium value out of him.  2nd is probably as high as anyone will go.   Like I said in another post.  Trade our 2nd to NYJ, trade back at 8 and pick later in round 1 and pick up the 2nd we lost.   

He's probably the best option where we can retain most of our draft capital.

I think your just looking at his situation and saying he has to be better elsewhere he’s got all this talent.  It’s the one mans trash is another mans treasure thinking that gets people into trouble.  Darnold is gonna be trash no matter where he goes.  I’ve seen plenty of Jets games, and I’ve seen Darnold play plenty of times.  There’s not one aspect of his game that says to me wow this guy has a chance.  He’s not really mobile, his deep ball accuracy sucks, he can’t read defenses well, he’s a disaster.  Just look how much better the offense looked when Flacco played.   Think about that, you know things are bad when it makes Flacco look competent these days.  

Tannehill is way more athletic than Darnold.  He used to be a WR.  When things aren’t going his way in the passing game he can beat you in other ways.  The only positives Darnold has is that’s he’s still young, and he’s decent throwing on roll outs.  That’s it, that’s what your willing to trade a second rounded for lol.  A one trick pony.  If you wanna throw away a 4th with hopes that Rhule can coach him up, fine but he won’t come close to beating out Bridgewater and just consider the pick wasted.  Hurneys done worse.  If the goal is to win a ring and inevitably beat Patrick Mahomes, or Rodgers/Brady, you really think Sam Darnold is the answer?  Your lying to yourself.