• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Turner/Boston admit that the refs screwed us in SB50

Mol3m4n

2 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

Yeah this clown is exposing the truth for us. Everyone else has somehow kept quiet.  

Meh, there is copious evidence out there, but most dudes realize it's best to keep your mouth shut. Like the guy said above, it is an entertainment industry, they can manipulate the results as they see fit.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

Meh, there is copious evidence out there, but most dudes realize it's best to keep your mouth shut. Like the guy said above, it is an entertainment industry, they can manipulate the results as they see fit.

Where is this copious evidence? I’m not talking about opinions or blanket statements like he made in this interview. Does he have something to show definitively that the game was rigged? An email? Or maybe another member of his team to back up the bold assertions that are made.  

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

What incentive does the guy who gets cut in the middle of the season and is pissed at his team have to keep the conspiracy quiet? I would think by now we’d have more than one malcontent who would have brought us some actual proof.  Saying it doesn’t make it true.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

If you really want to know and want to go down the rabbit hole, start with this book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7696042-the-fix-is-in

I think it is pretty obvious things are being manipulated. I don't really care that much as I still enjoy the spectacle of going to games. I just wish the powers that be would give the Panthers a Super Bowl win one of these years before I croak.

This has been pretty obvious in the NFL since Goodell came along.   Magical storyline after storyline in the SBs.    Better ratings, etc.    The Denver game had like 25 missed calls all in favor of Denver..... and people think that was coincidence.    Look at the Saints able to just late hit Favre over and over so we could get the Katrina Super Bowl storyline.    Harbough vs Harbough, Peyon's last game, etc.    It only takes one head ref pushing things one way or the other (a game of momentum).   I don't think it always works but they are pretty good at it.   Why do rules get more convulsed and muddy each year instead of more concise?   Refs are given a lot of leeway.    Goodell has made the owners BIG money since he took over and since most profit is profit sharing most of them are OK with it.    

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

This has been pretty obvious in the NFL since Goodell came along.   Magical storyline after storyline in the SBs.    Better ratings, etc.    The Denver game had like 25 missed calls all in favor of Denver..... and people think that was coincidence.    Look at the Saints able to just late hit Favre over and over so we could get the Katrina Super Bowl storyline.    Harbough vs Harbough, Peyon's last game, etc.    It only takes one head ref pushing things one way or the other (a game of momentum).   I don't think it always works but they are pretty good at it.   Why do rules get more convulsed and muddy each year instead of more concise?   Refs are given a lot of leeway.    Goodell has made the owners BIG money since he took over and since most profit is profit sharing most of them are OK with it.    

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I don't think the NFL outright fixes games. But I do think they absolutely influence outcomes. There's a big difference between the two.

56 minutes ago, jackson113 said:

People that believe that the NFL is rigged are the same one's believe in Qnon conspiracy bull crap.

SIIIKKEEE, Q is a CIA psychological operation to make people telling the truth look crazy and to poo on the constitution and eventually get communist normys to deem people telling the truth as terrorists. The majority of you on this board have proven it to be correct. It takes a lot of talent to see what have seen and turn it into the complete opposite of what you know you have seen. Keep gettin played by the 1 percent who are smarter than you because they give you all of your thoughts and opinions.

• Pie 2

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I don't think the NFL outright fixes games. But I do think they absolutely influence outcomes. There's a big difference between the two.

Sure but nudging the game is as bad as outright rigging it. That’s how they get away with it.

Edited by OneBadCat

1 hour ago, jackson113 said:

People that believe that the NFL is rigged are the same one's believe in Qnon conspiracy bull crap.

intentional or not....I do think the NFL/refs can and do impact the odds of one team vs the other often.   And who is on those teams dictates that. 

The "you're not old enough to get those calls" mindset would be an example of such. 

and all it takes is one ref to influence a game.    Influencing isn't fixing.   But it is impactful. 

I think it would be tough to argue the Bucs weren't aided the last two games with the way pass coverage was called from game to game.   They mauled GB all game to survive with no flags.    They lose if that game is called how 99% of them were all year.  And if they let KC play last night....Tampa wouldn't of gotten up as the did. 

Tom Brady gets flags others don't.  Doesn't make it rigged.  Makes a lot of stuff bullshit though IMO. 

1 minute ago, OneBadCat said:
29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sure but nudging the game is as bad as outright rigging it. That’s how they get away with it.

Where does the "influence" start? 

Goodell?

Are the owners in on it? 

The Super Bowl is the largest sports betting event in the United States and "influencing" the outcome would be a federal crime...

...zero chance something like that would stay under wraps.

The mere suggestion of it is laughable...

37 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Officials in all sports at major levels receive "areas of emphasis" or "rules clarifications" from their league/conference.  Their official purpose is to clarify gray areas in the rules or spell out how to handle situations that happened on the field/ice recently (and, in the case of a bench clearing brawl, prevent the causal factors from escalating).

That is what they were meant for.  They have been used for all sorts of things.  MLB has used it over the years to do things like redefine the strike zone without changing the rule that defines the strike zone.  If there is grief, the umpires take it, not the league.  The league keeps its hands clean and nobody is any wiser about their motivations.  The players and coaches will figure it out about the second or third different crew they see having changed their tendencies.

Teams scout officials just like they do opponents.  They have data on which officials tend to call which penalties/fouls or be more lax in the enforcement of others.  In baseball, the pitcher knows full well what the plate umpire's tendencies regarding the strike zone are before he goes out to pitch.  That has been going on for years.  What such an "area of emphasis" does is alter those tendencies. 

If I had to guess what we saw yesterday, because of the consistency of the three defensive backfield officials in the strictness of their view of defensive holding (which is not supported by their previous games), it was that the league issued an "area of emphasis."

The league would, if they are ever called on it, say they were simply advising the officials about something they wanted heightened awareness of, and they never expected it to be a major factor in the outcome.  The league official's nose to grow as he trots that out to see if it flies.

Are they ensuring that one team wins the game?  Nope, they could still lose.  But they are giving them an edge.  In this case, an edge that could only be reasonably be expected to go one direction.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Goodell?

Are the owners in on it? 

The Super Bowl is the largest sports betting event in the United States and "influencing" the outcome would be a federal crime...

I don’t think it’s a grand conspiracy. It’s more the refs being indignant and subconsciously biased. 

Like CRA said, “You’re not old enough to get that call.” That’s a huge red flag. How many times did Denver headshot Cam, 3-4 blatant times I can recall. That’s 3 PFs that would result in first downs. You don’t think that changes the game?

Or the fact that officials will routinely throw ticky tack “make up” calls after making a huge mistake the play before. That is also rigging the game through incompetence.

Or when the NFL finally allows some penalty’s to be challenged, what do the refs do? They essentially boycott the rule and refuse to overturn the calls on the field. Why? Because they hate being called out.

The only way they solve the problem is to allow PI and personal foul to be challengeable. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Goodell?

Are the owners in on it? 

"you aren't old enough to get that call". 

starts and ends with the refs essentially.  But it is the collective that IMO influences them.  For example, Tom Brady is a GOAT.   Why when the wind blows he could get a roughing call and Cam could have his head ripped off and nothing. 

Refs intentionally or not are inconsistent with how they call games.   Who is on the field impacts how they call it.