• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Todd McShay mocks us to trade up with Miami to get Trey Lance

electro's horse

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

I really don't get it with Lance.

As I said, I was curious about him after his 2019 season, but the tape doesn't blow you away. 

Why didn't he transfer to a college that was playing football in 2020? I'm sure the NCAA would have waived the need to sit out. 

I don't care about the NCAA. It's just practice to me. I look at it like if he did have another full year of film we wouldn't have a shot at him at 8.

He is raw but his upside and what I have seen of his personality all point to being a high ceiling QB with good coaching. If we still had Ron I wouldn't think it's a great fit. Now I think we could get a Mahomes out of the kid.

1 hour ago, Monrowed said:

GIF by FirstAndMonday

I just don’t get the love affair with a DII QB that has played against sub-par competition. 

Ok, so the competition argument is a bit overrated for QBs specifically. What you are looking for in a QB prospect are traits that can translate well to the NFL:

• Makes progressions
  • Strong Arm
  • Throws guys open
  • Coachable
  • NFL Body type
  • etc.

If a prospect ticks a lot of those boxes, it really doesn't matter where he played. The fact that he DOMINATED at that level also helps his stock tremendously. There's also the whole background of the prospect that might determine how and why they are playing where they are. Look at Josh Allen for example:

Allen lived on a farm in High School and about 6-foot-3 and 180 pounds. He hadn't attended the elite quarterback camps and wasn't a widely known prospect. His high school team didn't participate in many 7-on-7 camps because Josh and many of his teammates were busy playing baseball and other sports. 

A lot of his shortcomings were entirely fixable - footwork, inconsistent accuracy (which was entirely due to poor footwork), lack of experience, lack of competition, etc. 

Dude was incredibly coachable and received some MVP votes this year. He's obviously best case scenario, but there are other examples of QBs being successful in the NFL even though they didn't play in the best divisions in college.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, Waldo said:

I don't care about the NCAA. It's just practice to me. I look at it like if he did have another full year of film we wouldn't have a shot at him at 8.

He is raw but his upside and what I have seen of his personality all point to being a high ceiling QB with good coaching. If we still had Ron I wouldn't think it's a great fit. Now I think we could get a Mahomes out of the kid.

That's the problem - it's a massive gamble. He looks good, but not sensational on the film we have of him - which will be 18 months ago by the time he's drafted. He's very raw, with promise. Absolutely not opposed to drafting him. Terrified of drafting him with #8 overall. My jaw would hit the floor if we traded future first round picks to draft him. 

He's nothing like Mahomes - doesn't have the arm, the playmaking ability, the innate understanding of the offence etc etc. People talk about how you can't compare players to Brady - fine, I guess. Mahomes is that same freak 'one in a million' player too. 

Not quite sure what the NCAA comment was in reference to.

9 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

That's the problem - it's a massive gamble. He looks good, but not sensational on the film we have of him - which will be 18 months ago by the time he's drafted. He's very raw, with promise. Absolutely not opposed to drafting him. Terrified of drafting him with #8 overall. My jaw would hit the floor if we traded future first round picks to draft him. 

He's nothing like Mahomes - doesn't have the arm, the playmaking ability, the innate understanding of the offence etc etc. People talk about how you can't compare players to Brady - fine, I guess. Mahomes is that same freak 'one in a million' player too. 

Not quite sure what the NCAA comment was in reference to.

He is my # 2. The others are more polished but lower ceilings. I still think the college competition angle is overblown. Also, Mahomes has raw AF when he was drafted, there is a reason he was still available at the 10th pick. I think the two main failures in scouting QBs is where they go maters more than where they came from and expecting a polished product is a pipedream at QB. The Jags will ruin the top QB and I bet the QB that finds the right home like Mahomes did will do better just on that fact alone. The teams picking in the top 5 are not known for being well run or coached. Top 10 slightly better with contenders sneaking in on down years or trades. 

As for the time off, it's unavoidable. Just like not having a combine. It's on the teams and their ability this year and hell I bet next years crop too to make it work. No one escapes this and you get 5 years for a 1st pick to get them producing and up to speed. Allen took a little longer and he is looking great right now. It matters but it's more of a hurdle than a deal killer for me.

The NCAA was said because there is a lot of built in bias for people that watch NCAA football and act like they are not just well funded High School programs, armatures with some talent spikes for the NFL bound people and a handful of top tier schools that look like the top tier HSs with insanely funded programs.

I like Lance's tape, raw but reminded me of Cam's year at that prep-school with better competition. He looks to have a great brain and personality. His arm looks great from what I have seen. So hard to tell until they throw a real football and not that tiny toy they use in the NCAA. 

• Pie 1

his game vs Delaware is a good game to watch and why people are excited about him. 

2:44 that throw off the play action  on the run with tight coverage is big time. That’s an elite nfl throw. He makes wow type throws every game. He just needs time, practice and nfl coaching to get the best from him. 

Edited by TheRumGone