• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SI Report + Houston NFL reporter of 45 years: It's beyond over for us (Deshaun Watson)

Just now, The Lobo said:

I get it, but my point is that’s two sources that have now said Jets aren’t it for him. “Probably not” isn’t a no, but it’s not reassuring. Like I said, he probably won’t be traded anyway. 

I don't think he will be either.

Also, I know some fans have this idea that the Panthers and Watson are like Romeo and Juliet trying desperately to be together despite interference from outside forces, but that doesn't really seem to be the case.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Also, I know some fans have this idea that the Panthers and Watson are like Romeo and Juliet trying desperately to be together despite interference from outside forces, but that doesn't really seem to be the case.

I think we all got pumped when we saw the reports that we were a “dark horse” to get him and the report about us being aggressive in his pursuit. Pair that up with him playing at Clemson and you have a recipe for cloud nine livin’ to crash and burn back to down to earth. Then ESPN+ released an article like @Wolfcop said where 4/9 writers picked us as Watson’s landing spot. I hope I’m wrong, I hope he comes here, but the chances are not good. 

51 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

@Vergehas said he is priority #1 on our list. Not saying it’s going to happen but we will try to get him here.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

@Vergehas said he is priority #1 on our list. Not saying it’s going to happen but we will try to get him here.

I suspect that's affected by whether or not Houston has any willingness to trade him (and most have accepted that they don't).

Even if that's true though, doesn't mean he wants to come here. And definitely doesn't mean that it's "Carolina or bust".

I don't believe the reporting tbh. Why in the world would they limit their trade prospects to one team within their own conference? Unless Watson himself stated he would only play for the Jets which doesn't make a lot of sense either. I see it coming down to us, NYJ, or Houston. We will absolutely give up whatever it takes to get him. I know McClain is plugged in and everything, but I have not heard this, nor does it make a lot of sense.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Verge said:

I don't believe the reporting tbh. Why in the world would they limit their trade prospects to one team within their own conference? Unless Watson himself stated he would only play for the Jets which doesn't make a lot of sense either. I see it coming down to us, NYJ, or Houston. We will absolutely give up whatever it takes to get him. I know McClain is plugged in and everything, but I have not heard this, nor does it make a lot of sense.

Thanks for the insight, I’ve been trying to tell @Mr. Scot we will do everything we can, not saying it’s going to happen. I think we have the best shot since we are in the NFC and near home

4 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Thanks for the insight, I’ve been trying to tell @Mr. Scot we will do everything we can, not saying it’s going to happen. I think we have the best shot since we are in the NFC and near home

Never doubted that we'd want him. So does half the league.

But unless the Texans agree to trade him, the entire front office staff can kneel and drop rose petals in McNair's path and it won't matter.

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

I have a hard time imagining the Texans torpedoing a new coach and gm just to stick it to a player. If Watson refuses to budge, I just don't see why they would keep him when they will get such incredible returns.

It becomes a lot easier to imagine what the Texans might do when you factor in that they're kind of stupid.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It becomes a lot easier to imagine what the Texans might do when you factor in that they're kind of stupid.

What a way to run an organization.

I am sure Watson is thrilled that they let Watt walk as well, not that he didn't deserve to anyways.

What a toxic culture they have produced down in Houston.

2 hours ago, Verge said:

I don't think it is because Watson only wants to play for the Jets, its the fact that the Texans only would want to trade with the Jets.

McCain is basically saying that he doesn't think they want to trade him, but if they do, the Jets are the only team they would be willing to listen to, which is somewhat logical.

If they think QB2(most likely Wilson) is that much better than any other QB in the draft, outside of Trevor, it makes sense.  If you are going to lose a top-3 QB you better get a QB in return that gives your fanbase hope.  Also from a rebuild perspective the best thing they could ask for is a potential franchise QB.

As far as the Panthers go I agree that we might be willing to sell the farm but at the same time, no matter what we give, we can't guarantee them a QB.  Our best chance is for the Jets just to decide they aren't willing to give up much for Watson.

Pure speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if that trade example of two 1st, two 2nds, and 2 young defensive players wasn't close to an offer they already received.  Actually sounds like something we could have offered.  We definitely have some young defensive players that would be appealing, I'm not sure the Jets do.

If anything it might be the Texans way of letting other teams, mainly Jets, know what they need to offer.

I'm not convinced they want to trade him, but I could see where they could talk themselves into it.  

They were terrible with Watson.  Their cap situation is bad for the next few years, their draft capital is low, their best chance for a quick rebuild might actually be to trade him, if they hit on the QB in the draft.   They might be trying to act like they have no desire of trading him, to save face, but at the same time secretly hoping the Jets make them a deal they can't refuse.

If they do decide to trade him and the Jets or maybe Miaimi don't want to budge, I think we have a very good chance.  We have a fairly high 1st this year and a decent amount of appealing, younger players and I think we would be willing to deal.  I can't see a team like WTF, 49ers, or Indy putting together a better package.