• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drunk football?

Mr. Scot

Jon Kitna says he once saw a teammate drunk during a game

"There were some things that were hard to believe (with the Bengals). There was a time that I played a game with a guy that was drunk in the huddle," Kitna said...I'm not sure if the staff knew. But I think the guy was like - that was kind of his normal. I mean he was drunk and had close to 200 yards receiving now. So, it was crazy."

PFT adds a little context.

Kitna didn’t name names, but the circumstances make it not impossible to identify the possibilities. Given that Kitna played for the Bengals from 2001 through 2005, it’s not difficult to identify which receivers “had close to 200 yards receiving” in a game during that five-year stretch.

We’ve done the research and compiled a list of players that it could have been. Three had games of more than 150 receiving yards during Kitna’s time with the team. One had games of 189, 161, and 152. One had 171. Another had 152.

Kitna didn’t name names, so we won’t, either. There are so few that it could be that the ones who it isn’t should be upset that Kitna has defined the possibilities so narrowly.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jon Kitna says he once saw a teammate drunk during a game

"There were some things that were hard to believe (with the Bengals). There was a time that I played a game with a guy that was drunk in the huddle," Kitna said...I'm not sure if the staff knew. But I think the guy was like - that was kind of his normal. I mean he was drunk and had close to 200 yards receiving now. So, it was crazy."

PFT adds a little context.

Kitna didn’t name names, but the circumstances make it not impossible to identify the possibilities. Given that Kitna played for the Bengals from 2001 through 2005, it’s not difficult to identify which receivers “had close to 200 yards receiving” in a game during that five-year stretch.

We’ve done the research and compiled a list of players that it could have been. Three had games of more than 150 receiving yards during Kitna’s time with the team. One had games of 189, 161, and 152. One had 171. Another had 152.

Kitna didn’t name names, so we won’t, either. There are so few that it could be that the ones who it isn’t should be upset that Kitna has defined the possibilities so narrowly.

I'm gonna need that list. I'm assuming that there are fewer than 85 nombres on it.

Edited by shaqattaq
  • Pie 2

The name was Max McGee-- a backup receiver for the Packers in the first Super Bowl--did not think he would play, so he stayed up drinking the night before the game.  I think there was an injury and he had to play hung over. He scored the first Super Bowl TD (2 on the day) and had 138 yards on 7 catches.

I am telling you folks-there may be something to this.  Booze it or Looze it.

drunk baby drinking GIF

Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 3

Damn that does not sound like fun drinking. Crazy, back then they also didn't check for concusions. I wonder how much was bumped in the huddle in the 90s with the Cowboys. I assume it snowed in Dallas a lot by the stories I have heard over the years.

9 hours ago, X-Clown said:

The options are chad Johnson, Peter Warrick or Darnay Scott. Chris Henry never played w kitna. Supposedly ocho was never a drinker so bengals fans think it’s scott.

Read the same in some of the PFT comments.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Damn that does not sound like fun drinking. Crazy, back then they also didn't check for concusions. I wonder how much was bumped in the huddle in the 90s with the Cowboys. I assume it snowed in Dallas a lot by the stories I have heard over the years.

Yeah, if we're talking about the Cowboys of the 90s, I'd figure more cocaine than alcohol.

Heck, back even earlier, I'm pretty sure Hollywood Henderson went to some games high as a kite.

• Beer 1