• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predictions for FA... then draft. By position

musicman

Not the actually player, but that would be impressive, but direction......

I see their only splash being CB (not even being a that big of a contract). A solid DB opposite Ajax is needed. I would say who but as people get cut this could change. I could see a 30 year old for maybe a 2 year deal but he has a name and rep and still plays well. 

I see them signing low costs vets at Guard (2 as a lot are available) so they could draft OG high. TE, LB (Van Noy for the right price would be nice) and safety so they can draft what ever they want (but they do have Burris and Franklin).

Then drafting QB at 8, LT in 2nd. OG in 3rd. CB in 4th..... If all 4 QBs are gone by 8, I really see them taking LT Slater at 8. OG in the 2nd or possible 3rd too. That would make the O-Line set for the next 5 to 6 years. DL is solid with Matos, Burns Obada, Kerr & Brown. Still got Haynes at DE. Need 2 more but not a priority.

I don't see them trading up and losing picks. They want to build through the draft and we are not even a few players away. There is the possibility of running one more year with TB (just saying). 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

With you until the end. No more Bridgewater. Hell no. Absolutely not. Also, I think we will trade up if the first three go quick. It all depends on where that third QB is drafted. 

I didn't say I wanted that but I feel the way their talking they are keeping that option open. 

I'd like Jayon Brown, Shaq Griffin, and anyone at Guard with some experience and is passable as a starter. Not sure how much Kevin Zeitler will cost. OJ Howard might be cut, give him a look, or whatever. TE is not high on my priority list though I understand all opinions on this. 

Did this on PFF a few minutes ago:

Screenshot_20210313-160453_Instagram.thumb.jpg.25730df0d0fb118fd827dfa393a625e2.jpg

I went by their draft BPA with the thought just to improve the team overall and a lot of our needs coincided with those positions. Didn't get a WR, I figure that will be covered by FA and maybe UFA or young players on the roster already. 

Edited by ImaginaryKev
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Perhaps the Panthers see if a QB drops to 8, but if the Jets go QB at 2 and there isn't one at 8, I see sending our 2nd for Darnold. Fields/Lance/Wilson are the dream, but we give up the least amount of current and future assets for Darnold and still get a cornerstone on the OL at 8.

Draft Slater or Sewell at 8 to pair up with Moton for the next decade giving Darnold something Cam never had. 

We would lose our pick at 40, but could still get a quality player in the 3rd...maybe Jabril Cox from LSU or perhaps an IOL. Send Teddy out for a third day pick too in addition to our two additional sixth rounders that we got this past week. 

I hope we make a move for a TE in FA. Jonnu Smith is who I want.

I could see Fitterer bringing Griffen at CB over from Seattle. I'd like to kick the tires on Malik Hooker too. 

Edited by Soul Rebel

How I’d like it to go is 

Sign.Trubitsky, Zietler, SEA CB Griffen 

Trade for Orlando Brown 2nd and 4th 

Trade down in first once or even twice to come away with Richie Grant, Chazz Surratt, Brevin Jordan. Then with what ever is left grab more lineman on both sides of the ball plus grab Jaelon Darden late. 

A man can dream 

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I'd like Jayon Brown, Shaq Griffin, and anyone at Guard with some experience and is passable as a starter. Not sure how much Kevin Zeitler will cost. OJ Howard might be cut, give him a look, or whatever. TE is not high on my priority list though I understand all opinions on this. 

Did this on PFF a few minutes ago:

Screenshot_20210313-160453_Instagram.thumb.jpg.25730df0d0fb118fd827dfa393a625e2.jpg

I went by their draft BPA with the thought just to improve the team overall and a lot of our needs coincided with those positions. Didn't get a WR, I figure that will be covered by FA and maybe UFA or young players on the roster already. 

I really dig this draft and free agency.  Brown would be a solid MLB.  Griffin is my favorite free agent corner.  I'm hoping Fitterer has some kinda inside track with him.  I'd rather trade up with Miami than go all I'm on Watson.  That rookie contract for a QB is a proven route to success.  I think Leatherwood, Hill and Smith could plug the gaps on the oline and give us a young group to grow together.  Trill looks like a Legion Of Boom 2.0 guy.   Only pick I'd possibly switch is the double safeties.  Cisco is one of my favorite players too.  I'm hoping Chinn works into that safety spot.  So maybe a wr or TE there at 220.  I like the way your thinking though. Would be very happy with this result.  

• Flames 1

If we draft any position in the first two (maybe even three) rounds that are not QB, WR, LT, DE, or CB then this teams management is still not getting it. Those are the highest paid positions and the most impactful. Grabbing for them in free agency gets you overpriced, underperforming players. 

LB, TE, RB, S, OG, C, and DT are all able to be had in later rounds and free agency. Look how many damn guards are available right now. 

• Beer 1

Free agency:

RG: Sign John Miller to a contract in the $5m per range.  He was decent to good last year---I would give him a 2-3 year deal and not worry about RG for a year or two. I would offer Miller front-end guaranteed money and a 3-year deal in the $15m range.  (First year:  $4m).  I should add that I also like Gabe Jackson, but he is similar to KK in that his salary jumped as his performance dropped—injury related, for the most part, but some question his motivation.  Jackson would require more money—maybe twice what we can get Miller for.

LG: I like Austin Blythe (UFA Rams) and he could transition to his natural position, C next year, if not sooner.  Let him compete with Daley for the LG and Paradis for the C position.  Paradis’ contract can be voided after this season, or he could be a post June 1 cut and save another $1.4m.  Signing Blythe gives us an upgrade at C and LG if Daley gets hurt making coffee or opening his mail.   Blythe will probably command a bigger contract, but I think 3-years at $18m might do the trick.  (First year: $5m)

CB: Gareon Conley  (UFA Houston) is an interesting option.  His salary is low (rookie deal) and he sat out 2020 with an ankle injury.  He has been very good in man coverage and bad in zone coverage.  At nickel, he could be special, or we could move him out and lock down the oppositions’ #1 WR by playing him in some form of man coverage as the others stay in a zone.   As a nickel, I think he would take a 1 year deal in the $4m range because he is a huge question mark right now and his stock is down.  A perfect example of a good player who can get lost in the wrong system.

CB:  Cameron Sutton (UFA Pittsburgh) gives the Panthers a veteran, athletic presence on the outside, and I am estimated his salary will be in the $9-10m range. While the Steelers want to re-sign him, they are in cap hell and have many others to consider as well.  It is doubtful they keep Sutton, and their loss is our gain.  I would offer him (26) a four-year deal in the $40m range, with $8m counting against the cap this season.

DT: Jonathan Hankins (UFA, Las Vegas) is only 29 and could really fit in nicely to the Panther rotation (Brown, Kerr, Roy).  He makes tackles, with 48 last year.  I would give him fair market value for 3 years, most all guaranteed on the front-at $3.3m per year ($10m).  It sure seems that the DT free agent market is ripe for meeting the Panthers’ needs.

Summary:  Yes, there are other needs, but this makes the OL stronger and addresses C depth and future.  We’d only need to draft a LT to groom while Scott holds it down.  We just went from weak to good at CB, locking down a good #1 CB for 4 years.  And we added a quality DT to the rotation.  How much is this costing us in 2021?  $24m.  We’d need to move some money to sign the rookies, or adjust these contracts, but it is doable.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1