• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance - best QB of this draft not named Lawrence

NAS

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I didn't watch his pro day, but he was noticeably worse in his one start last year. His footwork regressed massively. That's a huge worry.

To me, Lance is a second round pick that you take and stash for a year or so. Let your QB Coach fix his footwork and hope he picks up NFL speed / concepts in practice. 

He may be a great one day, but the wrong system could cost a lot of smart men their jobs. 

To be honest, that is how you really have to look at this:  If my ass was on the line, would I take Lance in the top 10?  Would I take Fields?  Would I take Wilson after pulling a Bearish trade up only to find out that he is not the answer?  What I want as a fan does not matter--would you take Lance if your ass was on the line?

Now, having said that, the owner in Carolina is screaming QB, so I think you are going to get a QB--taking a lot of the guesswork out.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Id take him at 8 no problem. Trading up to 3 or 4 though I'm not sure how I'd feel . 

It's really tough to say who will be the better QB career wise out of Wilson Fields and Lance . You could say Wilson and Lance are more one year wonders , I still think Fields is the best option not named Lawrence. But we really won't know until they've all been in the league for 3-4 years .

If Lance dropped to us and essentially ended up as this year's Herbert that would be nice . Not too confident that will happen though. If the Panthers really like any of the top 4 QBs they'll have to trade up if they want to make sure they get their guy. Jets, Atlanta, Detroit , and Philly could all easily pick a QB or trade with someone who wants one. 

Also everyone else in the NFL knows we're thirsty for a QB. So waiting at 8 is a death sentence. Teams will be clamoring to trade up with Philly or Detroit to leap us if Lance or Fields falls .

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Id take him at 8 no problem. Trading up to 3 or 4 though I'm not sure how I'd feel . 

It's really tough to say who will be the better QB career wise out of Wilson Fields and Lance . You could say Wilson and Lance are more one year wonders , I still think Fields is the best option not named Lawrence. But we really won't know until they've all been in the league for 3-4 years .

If Lance dropped to us and essentially ended up as this year's Herbert that would be nice . Not too confident that will happen though. If the Panthers really like any of the top 4 QBs they'll have to trade up if they want to make sure they get their guy. Jets, Atlanta, Detroit , and Philly could all easily pick a QB or trade with someone who wants one. 

Also everyone else in the NFL knows we're thirsty for a QB. So waiting at 8 is a death sentence. Teams will be clamoring to trade up with Philly or Detroit to leap us if Lance or Fields falls .

We shouldn't be 'desperate' for a QB. If there's a crazy run on 4 QBs before our pick we're in prime position to take an excellent player at another position of need (and boy do we have many), or to trade out of that pick and pick up a haul from a team that is desperate for said excellent player.

If our strategy going into this Draft is "we need a QB in the first round, or we need to trade for Watson" then we're fuged as a franchise. 

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

It's why it's a dumb idea to reach this year. Yes Bridgewater is sub par at best but we will get a franchise player at 8. Maybe not a QB but someone of need. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Thread titles a little dramatic. Even Trevor can turn out to be a bust. I think all four of these QBs have the ability to be franchise changers but they all have major bust possibilities. We aren’t going to learn anything from any of their pro days or game film we haven’t already seen. 

What is important now is our coaches and GM get as much interview time with these kids as possible and hope one fits our situation better than the others and they fall to us or we trade up without giving up too much. If we trade multiple drafts away for any of these kids we might be screwing them over. We need a lot of talent on this team. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Acquiring a franchise-level QB isn't a damned game! If you believe he is the guy, you do what it takes within reason to get him! All the other sh¡t be damned!

Agreed. Within reason. If we lose three first round picks to draft one of the kids it’s going to hurt us, and hurt their development. We need to get a QB and we need to surround him with talent. We also need to convince Brady to not leave after a single season with these kids. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Varking said:

Agreed. Within reason. If we lose three first round picks to draft one of the kids it’s going to hurt us, and hurt their development. We need to get a QB and we need to surround him with talent. We also need to convince Brady to not leave after a single season with these kids. 

I don't think it would take three first rounders. If you're going to do that, you might as well go all-in on Watson. 

I think that perhaps I have more faith in Rhule (now Fit, via proxy) than some. I don't think that we're going to leave our QB high and dry. Rhule proved to me in one season that he can coach young guys up to be legitimately competitive. If Fit is as advertised, between him and Rhule, they should be able to field a talented team, even if it's using resources outside of drafting first round talent.

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't think it would take three first rounders. If you're going to do that, you might as well go all-in on Watson. 

I think that perhaps I have more faith in Rhule (now Fit, via proxy) than some. I don't think that we're going to leave our QB high and dry. Rhule proved to me in one season that he can coach young guys up to be legitimately competitive. If Fit is as advertised, between him and Rhule, they should be able to field a talented team, even if it's using resources outside of drafting first round talent.

Why have more faith now? The organization swung and missed, badly, in their QB decision making so far.