• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance - best QB of this draft not named Lawrence

NAS

Just now, Jon Snow said:

What if they decide that one of those QB's that everyone is salivating over in the first isn't worth the capital?  What happens to this joint if they pick one in the second or third for instance?  I imagine that the faith in Fitz and Rhule will immediately be lost by the Huddle and whom think it is a much better evaluator of talent than the professionals.  

That would mean considerably more weeping and gnashing of teeth than usual, and things will get ugly (and probably somewhat unbearable) as you say, but I'll be taking it all in stride. I wouldn't turn on them until probably 2023 or 24, but only if we're still legitimately in rebuilding mode and sucking.

• Beer 1

Speed is a nice feature, but i do not value it as much as others when checking out QBs.  Speed leads to running and running leads to injuries over the long haul.  That is why I hated Rivera because I could see that he was wasting Cam to win games, at times, meaningless games.  Such an overrated coach.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

It’s not even that horrific of a swing and a miss. Sure Teddy sucks but does anyone think if we added a Kyle Pitts and CMC was healthy all year we would still have our red zone issues? 

Of course they would still be there. It’s who he is and has always been. And could have had for 30-35M less. How many more weapons do the Panthers need to add to get him a career high of TDS again. Or is 16 being too optimistic?

• Beer 2
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, Varking said:

I feel the same about Fit and Rhule. I trust them for now. I wasn’t being exact with the picks. I worry about, mortgaging the future, to an extent. Swap firsts this year and give up another pick or two? Not so bad. Lose our first and second this year and next? Kind of hurts. But I’d also understand why they would make the move. 

I can wrap my head around just about anyone we’ve been linked to other than Mond or Jones. 

I haven't studied Mond enough right now to say anything, but from the little that I know, I'd think that Jones or Mond on day three, some would say "two", wouldn't be a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He picked Brown when Rhule wanted to trade back.  We have to assume as the GM Marty had the final say in roster choices because that is typically how it works.  Remember it was a big deal when it came out that Rhule now has final say over fit

That is not how it’s done when you give a HC 70M for 7 years and the lame duck GM 1M. It’s why they tried to hire Andrew Berry two weeks after Rhule. But he wouldn’t interview because Rhule had total control. And if Rhule was seriously considering anything Hurney ever said, that’s just as troubling with Marty’s resume. 

Why is it that not one reporter associated with the Panthers has ever said Hurney was the driving force behind Teddy’s signing. Just one “fan” 2 hours after Hurney was fired. Showing him as the scapegoat I knew he would be. Why didn’t Getzenberg mention his involvement. Mentioned Evan Cooper and conversations while Rhule was at Baylor. Mentioned Brady who coached him before. Mentioned Rhule’s interest before taking the job. All it said about Marty was he was scouting Herbert. 

I really like the tools of Lance.  It looks more and more like we're going to ride TB through 2021 because of cap cost.  It would be invaluable for him to sit a year, work on his issues, and be ready to jump into things in 2022. 

I'm very concerned trading away a TON of picks.  While I get you do whatever you can when you find YOUR GUY, we have an awful lot of holes on our team.  We need a LT, guards, DL depth, CBs, and depth overall.  The staff would have to be sold 100% that this guy is the guy if we're going to part with a mess of picks.

I'm starting to think we should just pick the best LT we can get.  If TB has more time, he can only play better.  An upgrade at LT will also mean more room for CMC to run.

I don't know.  I'm not a film study expert, or a mechanics expert, or much more than an idiot with a keyboard.

No matter what, I support what the team does, and I hope it helps us improve drastically. 😃

• Pie 2

29 minutes ago, Varking said:

It’s not even that horrific of a swing and a miss. Sure Teddy sucks but does anyone think if we added a Kyle Pitts and CMC was healthy all year we would still have our red zone issues? 

Man, I don't know. I gave Teddy all kinds of the benefit of doubt before the season began, even though I shook my head at the amount and terms of the contract, now I'm not so inclined to give him grace, though I admittedly could be being overly negative. I don't know if we'd have had as severe of red zone issues (which may have done wonders), but Teddy wasn't on his game...or maybe he was.

His contract, IMO, should have been a functional one-year prove-it deal, even if it was for two or three years. If he wouldn't have signed, I'd have let him go to the Bears. But, anyway, that's water under the bridge. 

5 minutes ago, Toomers said:

That is not how it’s done when you give a HC 70M for 7 years and the lame duck GM 1M. It’s why they tried to hire Andrew Berry two weeks after Rhule. But he wouldn’t interview because Rhule had total control. And if Rhule was seriously considering anything Hurney ever said, that’s just as troubling with Marty’s resume. 

Why is it that not one reporter associated with the Panthers has ever said Hurney was the driving force behind Teddy’s signing. Just one “fan” 2 hours after Hurney was fired. Showing him as the scapegoat I knew he would be. Why didn’t Getzenberg mention his involvement. Mentioned Evan Cooper and conversations while Rhule was at Baylor. Mentioned Brady who coached him before. Mentioned Rhule’s interest before taking the job. All it said about Marty was he was scouting Herbert. 

I would love to know the full "true" story of Hurney 2.0's stint.   I would imagine it would shock both sides of the debate.  Hurney always struck me as a yes man bullsh*t artist more than anything.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

26 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I haven't studied Mond enough right now to say anything, but from the little that I know, I'd think that Jones or Mond on day three, some would say "two", wouldn't be a bad thing.

If Mond is still there on day 3, and we haven't solved QB by that point, I would 100% take him there.  I don't think Mond is an NFL QB.  But he's shown enough to make me uncertain of that.  He has tools.  On day 3, it might be a gamble worth taking, because if he is an NFL QB, he has the physical tools.

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

I’ve been telling y’all all year that he ran a pro style offense in every way in school. He’s going to be special. 

My hesitation has been that he’s never seemed to make post snap reads, going through progressions. I’ve seen every snap he’s taken on YouTube and I saw him throw to someone other than the first read like twice. The target always seemed predetermined. That’s just how a lotta colleges work. And that could mean absolutely nothing like with plenty of good NFL QBs, but it could also mean something. At the pro day jeremiah or whoever that was mentioned his quick eyes, and if that’s the case then there’s another question about his game partially answered. Or Jeremiah could have just been fluffing him up to have something to say. I swear the two most secure jobs in the world with no oversight or repercussions for being wrong are nfl “draft analyst” and nfl referee lol. 

I would be more than happy to get him at this point. 

• Beer 1

As for whose fault the Teddy situation is, I think it's a combination of Marty's, Hurney's and Brady's overstated valuation of him as a starting QB. They may have had some pressure from Tepper to try and field something competitive as opposed to just resetting and cleaning the slate beginning last offseason, but it is what it is now. Rhule is still here (and has acknowledged his error implicitly, even if he hasn't said anything too explicitly), and the buck now stops with him (and Tepper on another level) as far as that Bridgewater score is concerned. They're still new to this NFL-leadership thing, so they deserve a mulligan IMO. Now it's all about fixing it!

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

He may be a great one day, but the wrong system could cost a lot of smart men their jobs. 

To be honest, that is how you really have to look at this:  If my ass was on the line, would I take Lance in the top 10?  Would I take Fields?  Would I take Wilson after pulling a Bearish trade up only to find out that he is not the answer?  What I want as a fan does not matter--would you take Lance if your ass was on the line?

Now, having said that, the owner in Carolina is screaming QB, so I think you are going to get a QB--taking a lot of the guesswork out.

Do you know how many top QBs fox passed on with this philosophy?   Even after knowing Delhomme’s elbow was shot?

in the nfl, if a team doesn’t have a qb, they have nothing. It really is that simple 

they have enhanced film today. They should be able to figure it out 

on the other hand, these are the same people who brought Bridgewater in here despite their acting like he was dropped by aliens at their facility 

2 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Do you know how many top QBs fox passed on with this philosophy?   Even after knowing Delhomme’s elbow was shot?

in the nfl, if a team doesn’t have a qb, they have nothing. It really is that simple 

they have enhanced film today. They should be able to figure it out 

on the other hand, these are the same people who brought Bridgewater in here despite their acting like he was dropped by aliens at their facility 

Do you know how many bad picks have been made when emotion and desperation are allowed to pervade logical and practical thinking?  Picking the wrong QB is more of a setback than building until the right one becomes available.

Enhanced film?  I agree they should be able to figure it out, but they don't.  Picking any QB is not the answer--picking the right QB and surrounding him with protections and weapons is important.  Film does not measure some of the intangibles that separate a quarterback from a franchise QB.  People dismiss the presence of the QB in the locker room--the film room--the practice field--etc.  I doubt Teddy has a presence there.  But I was not talking about Teddy--you were.