• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Free Agent Signings Thread

Ricky Spanish

Another thing that I think is important when considering the signings is that beyond their obvious versatility on the line is that we use a ZBS or Zone Blocking Scheme. Most of the NFL doesn't. There are characteristics that coaches look for in ZBS.  Flexibility, the agility to move and high football IQ are important in that scheme. Most people know that schemes can effect a QBs performance like with Tannehill but perhaps don't know that it can effect a lineman's performance as well. If any player is being asked to do something that doesn't fit his skill set then the result won't be their best possible. Putting the right players into the right schemes is what makes for great teams. Neither of these guys played under a ZBS system before. 

Now I'm not saying what these guys will do for us next season or beyond. I don't have a crystal ball. However, both exhibit qualities that could be successful in the scheme that Carolina uses. I believe, and that they signed them so quickly gives it weight, that Carolina thinks they can fit into what they are doing here and offered them a good opportunity to be successful and reach the potential that people believed they had when they were drafted. They are young, cheap, versatile and still have potential upside. They are not homerun signings but not necessarily stupid ones either. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Another thing that I think is important when considering the signings is that beyond their obvious versatility on the line is that we use a ZBS or Zone Blocking Scheme. Most of the NFL doesn't. There are characteristics that coaches look for in ZBS.  Flexibility, the agility to move and high football IQ are important in that scheme. Most people know that schemes can effect a QBs performance like with Tannehill but perhaps don't know that it can effect a lineman's performance as well. If any player is being asked to do something that doesn't fit his skill set then the result won't be their best possible. Putting the right players into the right schemes is what makes for great teams. Neither of these guys played under a ZBS system before. 

Now I'm not saying what these guys will do for us next season or beyond. I don't have a crystal ball. However, both exhibit qualities that could be successful in the scheme that Carolina uses. I believe, and that they signed them so quickly gives it weight, that Carolina thinks they can fit into what they are doing here and offered them a good opportunity to be successful and reach the potential that people believed they had when they were drafted. They are young, cheap, versatile and still have potential upside. They are not homerun signings but not necessarily stupid ones either. 

Zone blocking's pretty common among West Coast type systems so it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Zone blocking's pretty common among West Coast type systems so it makes sense.

Yes, and also everyone says how bad our OL was last season but if I remember correctly we finished 18th overall? So we were average even with all the injuries. One that about ZBS is you don't necessarily need the dominant maulers there. A ZBS line works as a Unit and their success isn't based on the individual player's dominance but the success of the Unit working together properly. 

8 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Yes, and also everyone says how bad our OL was last season but if I remember correctly we finished 18th overall? So we were average even with all the injuries. One that about ZBS is you don't necessarily need the dominant maulers there. A ZBS line works as a Unit and their success isn't based on the individual player's dominance but the success of the Unit working together properly. 

Problem is we were 18th (I think that is right) with a QB getting the ball out in about 2.5 seconds.  With a WCO-type release time, you have to be better than 18th.  Ask yourself how that 18th-ranked OL would look if the time to release was at the league mean, which I think is just about 2.75 seconds.  A quarter of a second doesn't sound like much, but quarter seconds are the difference between plays succeeding or failing a lot in the NFL.

That's the problem with ranking OLs.  You almost have to find a way to adjust what they did against a common baseline.  New Orleans' OL is almost certainly going to be better on paper than Cleveland's (I think Mayfiled had the longest time to release), but are they really better?  And were they better on paper because they did what was asked of them, or did the offense adjust to their limitations?  In New Orleans case, it was almost certainly the former, but in the Panthers' case, we were bottom half based on what was asked of them.

Regardless, if I am trying to run a WCO or offshoot, I am not happy about the OL ranking 18th against the rest of the league, given the numbers are not adjusted.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1