• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3-5-3 defensive formation

Ja  Rhule

I respect your model and you bringing this to the table. Eagles ran this defense under Reid. It eventually phased out of the league bc it leaves corners on an island, and if you don’t have lock down corners... this model is toast.

i think we are going to run what the patriots ran during their first series of super bowl wins. If you look at our d line... realistically we can play with one down lineman while the rest are standing, that’s the confusion point for the offense.

The other piece is if a team like the cardinals comes out and runs 4-5 WRs every play....  the defense will be the confused ones, haha.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 3

We actually played a lot of 3-5-3 scheme down the stretch last year and that’s when Panthers defense finally showed up.  Aaron Rodgers even called it out after the game that 3-5-3 we ran destroyed their game plan ant they had no idea how to stop it.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

And remember it was that flexibility that got Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers off his game last season.

Rodgers frustratingly referred to Carolina’s 3-5-3 scheme and “college principals’’ behind it after being sacked a season-high five times and held to a season-low 143 yards passing in a 24-16 win.

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/34837/panthers-building-defense-behind-versatile-pass-rushers-in-free-agency

• Pie 5

8 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I respect your model and you bringing this to the table. Eagles ran this defense under Reid. It eventually phased out of the league bc it leaves corners on an island, and if you don’t have lock down corners... this model is toast.

i think we are going to run what the patriots ran during their first series of super bowl wins. If you look at our d line... realistically we can play with one down lineman while the rest are standing, that’s the confusion point for the offense.

The other piece is if a team like the cardinals comes out and runs 4-5 WRs every play....  the defense will be the confused ones, haha.

Sounds like with Snow they're more willing to compensate for that by instead running disguised zone blitzes and taking advantage of the confusion created for the OL.

Would explain the leaning towards long CBs that can tackle

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I think we ar we migrating to a 3-3-5 but it's going to take another another year to get there. We look to be getting closer on the front side but just don't have enough DBs yet to show the ideal product. I expect another D that settles because of the prices this year with a lot more pressure up front. Hopefully a 2nd year CB makes a leap and we bring in a FS and starting CB next year.

Edit: with Chinn and Reddick, I think we can run both.

Edited by Waldo
  • Beer 1

The problem with what you're showing is that you are showing it matched up against an offensive grouping that you rarely see anymore.  Most offenses run the majority of their plays out of 10-11-12-00 personnel.  That presents serious issues for that defense.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

The problem with what you're showing is that you are showing it matched up against an offensive grouping that you rarely see anymore.  Most offenses run the majority of their plays out of 10-11-12-00 personnel.  That presents serious issues for that defense.  

Well you wouldn't run it all the time, just like defenses aren't always going to be in a 3-4 alignment.

40 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

And remember it was that flexibility that got Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers off his game last season.

Rodgers frustratingly referred to Carolina’s 3-5-3 scheme and “college principals’’ behind it after being sacked a season-high five times and held to a season-low 143 yards passing in a 24-16 win.

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/34837/panthers-building-defense-behind-versatile-pass-rushers-in-free-agency

It doesn't matter if the QB is confused. You run it for 5 yrs a pop thu A gap on that trash D.