• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers remain interested in Deshaun Watson trade

TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Even if you could get him for a 7th rounder, you’d still be on the hook for his 10 mill in salary this year.

10 mil for a guy who is most likely going to end up on the exempt list.

Is he worth the cap and PR hit? That’s a tough decision.

Remember, a player still gets paid if they are on the exempt list.

If there’s no trade market, the Texans will have to decide if they want to pay his salary this year or cut him. 

That's one of the reasons why I think the idea that the Texans could have been behind this is so laughable.

As it was, they either could have traded him for a big haul or would have had the ability to not pay him and/or fine him if he refused to play.

If he ends up on the exempt list, he won't be playing for them but they'll still be paying him as if he were.

Latest from The Athletic's Texans writer Aaron Reiss...

All but two of the suits involve plaintiffs who say they were contacted for massage appointments in 2020. The other two incidents, also involving massage therapists, allegedly occurred in January and March of 2021.

The suits allege Watson forced two women to perform oral sex, ejaculated in front of two women, groped a woman’s vagina and buttocks and kissed another woman unprompted upon arrival for an appointment. Nine of the 11 publicly available suits accuse Watson of inappropriately touching women with his penis. One alleges that at the end of a massage, after trying to direct a woman to touch his anus, Watson exposed himself and asked if she "did more" than professional work "for more money."

Four more women file lawsuits against Deshaun Watson for sexual assault

Also comments from Albert Breer and Stephanie Stradley, a lawyer who works for the Houston Chronicle, about where things go from here.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's one of the reasons why I think the idea that the Texans could have been behind this is so laughable.

As it was, they either could have traded him for a big haul or would have had the ability to not pay him and/or fine him if he refused to play.

If he ends up on the exempt list, he won't be playing for them but they'll still be paying him as if he were.

Right, they’d have to be spiteful enough to put themselves in a position to pay him tens of millions not to play or cut him and eat mountains of dead cap.

5 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Right, they’d have to be spiteful enough to put themselves in a position to pay him tens of millions not to play or cut him and eat mountains of dead cap.

Yep, and all that when the more obvious solution would have been to trade him for a massive return haul then put this information out there.

I get that McNair and the Texans are spiteful and dumb, but even they're not that dumb.

As has been said many times, nobody knows how this is going to play out. That said, if your primary logic begins and ends with "Watson is a really good quarterback and I want him to play for the Panthers", I'm not really expecting much in the way of solid analysis on the situation.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yep, and all that when the more obvious solution would have been to trade him for a massive return haul then put this information out there.

Yeah, but I have to imagine that screwing another owner like that would carry some severe (behind the scenes) penalties.

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Yeah, but I have to imagine that screwing another owner like that would carry some severe (behind the scenes) penalties.

It's an interesting wrinkle you broach there...

...did the Texans know?

Obviously some of the allegations are a year-old, wonder when Buzbee first reached out to DW on the matter?

5 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Well, to be honest, none of these scenarios are very realistic. Especially when you consider that Watson started seeing these massage therapists well before there was any problem between he and the team.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I read somewhere if he ends up on the exempt list they can void his contract completely though. I’ll see if I can find the article. I think it was PFT. 

I do agree it seems odd they wouldn’t do it until after a trade but the backlash on them from the potential team/nfl is probably not worth the Capital they would have gained. 

Edited by Harbingers

I see that Buzbee is still talking. 22 women is such a high number and that alone gives me pause on any belief in the current story. I am more inclined to believe three or four, but twenty two? That is Tiger Woods territory there. The worst part is that from what has been said not one of them can actually prove it. That is crazy in of itself.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

So much of the Texans is laughable that it is believable. With this much going on and with how they are run, very poorly and not based on skills or facts, it will remain a possibility, even if it shouldn't be. Hell, Easterby would do it and just say go's told him to do it and it would be perfectly normal in that organization.

I'm just surprised their new GM or HC hasn't quit, it's got to be hell working there.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1