Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

theres no way we outsuck the texans or lions next year, what to do?


Recommended Posts

I think the plan is to build the rest of of team while gambling on lower round QB prospects and veteran free agents. Then if you finally have the team, be bold and trade the world for your guy in the draft or from another team. 

That is just about all you can do in that 5-8 game win purgatory. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I genuinely blame Cam Newton for ruining this franchise's fan base.

A lot of you have a QB obsession - there's 21 other guys on the field.

You blame Cam for being the only franchise QB in the history of the Panthers? Now that is an interesting take.

I think the larger issue is that we all see what having an elite QB means to being consistently competitive in the NFL. Until the rules start changing to favor the running game or the defense, the NFL will remain a passing dominant league. 

That is why it is vitally important to have an elite QB. Not having that makes everything instantly much more difficult.

  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not but anything is possible. Hard to suck worse than the Texans but they play with loaded shotguns so there is always a chance.

Until we get a QB we won't be contenders. The D looks like it will continue to grow stronger and the chances of hitting purgatory seems inevitable.

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the plan is to build the rest of of team while gambling on lower round QB prospects and veteran free agents. Then if you finally have the team, be bold and trade the world for your guy in the draft or from another team. 

That is just about all you can do in that 5-8 game win purgatory. 

Agreed. Our only realistic strategy.

The alternative is to suck so hard in FA and the draft that we end up with a top 5 pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

You blame Cam for being the only franchise QB in the history of the Panthers? Now that is an interesting take.

I think the larger issue is that we all see what having an elite QB means to being consistently competitive in the NFL. Until the rules start changing to favor the running game or the defense, the NFL will remain a passing dominant league. 

That is why it is vitally important to have an elite QB. Not having that makes everything instantly much more difficult.

I'd argue we weren't consistently competitive even with Newton.

It's the cult of personality that fostered around him that has baffled me. But I appreciate I'm in the minority there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the plan is to build the rest of of team while gambling on lower round QB prospects and veteran free agents. Then if you finally have the team, be bold and trade the world for your guy in the draft or from another team. 

That is just about all you can do in that 5-8 game win purgatory. 

It worked for the Chiefs.

  • Beer 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I'd argue we weren't consistently competitive even with Newton.

It's the cult of personality that fostered around him that has baffled me. But I appreciate I'm in the minority there. 

That’s a ridiculous take...3 straight division titles, 4 playoff appearances in 5 years including a Super Bowl. How did we do in between broken Jake Delhomme and Cam without a good QB?

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Agreed. Our only realistic strategy.

The alternative is to suck so hard in FA and the draft that we end up with a top 5 pick.

Which, that also makes it tough to retain your core. You can only do that a couple of times before you start losing the team 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I'd argue we weren't consistently competitive even with Newton.

It's the cult of personality that fostered around him that has baffled me. But I appreciate I'm in the minority there. 

I think you are basically just creating a narrative that you choose to believe, which is certainly your prerogative. 

But, your distaste for Cam and/or his fanboys really don't change the history of elite QB's and being competitive in the modern NFL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Which, that also makes it tough to retain your core. You can only do that a couple of times before you start losing the team 

Right. Sucking that bad in FA and the draft means you end up without a core.

The strategy right now seems to be

1) Build a team to attract a good QB.

2) Draft a QB that attracts a good team.

3) Luck into both.

  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...