Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Are You Really Against Fields or Lance if they fall to #8...


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

I swear people only want him just because he's been hyped as the 2nd best QB for like a year now. 

 

There is a reason he is falling though, and that's because he has been greatly overrated. He played with elite talent and still underperformed. Ohio State QBs are always system babies. When you look at his highlights its mostly him just arm punting it to people who are wide ass open, which is not a good thing.

So the RPO heavy offense of Clemson and stationary targets is a better metric for QB success. Or losing to Coastal Carolina in the case of WIlson....?

You're drafting the talent, not the school, or the scheme, if that's the case Alabama QB's don't do well in the NFL yet there are plenty here that are all over Jones.

I like Fields and Lance as they possess all the traditional QB tools + they add elite NFL athleticism at that position. Playing 11 v 11 is better than 11 v 10. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

And the Panthers braintrust may think Darnold is a franchise guy. 

“proven” would be the key work from my quote. They have stated that a QB isn’t out of the question and are attending Pro Days for these players. Sure you can call it smokescreens, but we haven’t been too secretive about much lately. Especially our need to get rid of Teddy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Let me get this straight.

You're saying that a QB with a 20 - 2 record, 67 TD's against 9 INT's, with a 70% completion rate . . . underperformed?  What more could he possibly have done?!?!?!  Did he have bad games?  Sure, he did.  Please, find me a QB who hasn't had some bad games.  I'll wait.

I'd sure love to get us an underperforming QB like that here in Carolina.

You really don't get it. HE IS NEVER GOING TO DO THAT IN THE NFL BECAUSE NO NFL TEAMS HAVE THE MASSIVE TALENT ADVANTAGE THAT OHIO STATE DOES. He is not going to be just arm punting to wide open elite level wide outs. He is not going to have an elite offensive line every single game. He is not going to have an elite defense that bails him out during his bad games. There is a reason he is falling down draft boards. 

 

 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

Can you read minds? How do you know they weren't all in with Teddy or thinking they are all in on Darnold? The Panthers signed Teddy for over 60 million. Cam was making less when he was a Panther. Going by the contract, they were all in on Teddy.

Just because the Jets haven't traded the pick yet doesn't mean they couldn't trade it draft day and still get a QB they want before the Panthers pick. The Panthers brain trust might have a different opinion than you do about Darnold. They might think he is a franchise guy.

The Panthers had a legit star caliber QB with a crap Oline. How well did that work out for them? How many back to back winning seasons did they have with that star QB? How many superbowls did that star QB win for them?

You're assuming other teams won't take that good OL late in the first or before the Panthers pick in the second.

How did I know we weren't all in on Teddy? I mean to some degree I guess I can read minds......when they sign him to only a two year deal and are ready to part with him after 1 season.   That tells you a great deal about their mindset with Teddy.   Nothing ever suggested they were all in on Teddy.   

and there deal and talk about Darnold? Again, it reveals they aren't all in on Darnold. 

Did they and do they have hopes that a Teddy/Darnold could work out? Sure. That's called potential/upside.  That isn't all in.   

We were all in on Cam Newton.    Jake eventually hit that point.   Which means they don't get sent packing after a year that doesn't go as one hopes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

You really don't get it. HE IS NEVER GOING TO DO THAT IN THE NFL BECAUSE NO NFL TEAMS HAVE THE MASSIVE TALENT ADVANTAGE THAT OHIO STATE DOES. He is not going to be just arm punting to wide open elite level wide outs. He is not going to have an elite offensive line every single game. He is not going to have an elite defense that bails him out during his bad games. There is a reason he is falling down draft boards. 

 

 

He played against Trevor Lawerence/Clemson twice.  Only postseason play he didn't go into the game hurt.  He outplayed Trevor at the QB position in those games.    There was no massive talent advantage.  Clemson and Ohio St during recent times have consistently been right behind Bama in terms of talent. 

 

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Can you read minds? How do you know they weren't all in with Teddy or thinking they are all in on Darnold? The Panthers signed Teddy for over 60 million. Cam was making less when he was a Panther. Going by the contract, they were all in on Teddy.

Just because the Jets haven't traded the pick yet doesn't mean they couldn't trade it draft day and still get a QB they want before the Panthers pick. The Panthers brain trust might have a different opinion than you do about Darnold. They might think he is a franchise guy.

The Panthers had a legit star caliber QB with a crap Oline. How well did that work out for them? How many back to back winning seasons did they have with that star QB? How many superbowls did that star QB win for them?

You're assuming other teams won't take that good OL late in the first or before the Panthers pick in the second.

Got to a Superbowl, and had an OROY at the position, the issues were the fact that the management under that time frame was Hurney / Gettleman -- which was overseen by an owner that was forced to sell the team because he was a sexual predator. 

They WASTED Cam's and Luke's prime, and Gettleman's ego blew up a team that went to the playoffs in 2013, and again after a 2015 SB appearance. Ron and them trotted out Byron Bell, and DG drafted the likes of Vernon Butler, Kelvin Benjamin, etc while other options were available to stabilize the OL. For all the ''Hog Molly'' talk we didn't really do poo on the OL outside Turner, and Moton. 

Edmund Kugbila, Amini Silatolu, I can't even think of one LT drafted during Cam's time aside from Little, and we see how that's gone. This team was mismanaged top to bottom, EVEN when they had at least 2 HOF'ers on the roster, arguably three if you include Olsen, it was the biggest piece of inept work I've ever seen. 

And that is the only reason Ron has a job, Cam / Luke got him those COTY awards, we didn't develop anyone behind the starters so when injuries hit we failed. That was the achilles heel beyond shitty roster management, the blind favoritism to vets. 

  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CRA said:

He played against Trevor Lawerence/Clemson twice.  Only postseason play he didn't go into the game hurt.  He outplayed Trevor at the QB position.    There was no massive talent advantage. 

Ohio State and Alabama have at least one tier higher talent than everyone else every single year. 

Does Pat Mahomes suck because of his bad performance in the super bowl? Because he and Trevor Lawrence both just got beat up all game long by the opposing defense. If you put Trevor Lawrence on Alabama or Ohio State they probably win 4 straight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

You really don't get it. HE IS NEVER GOING TO DO THAT IN THE NFL BECAUSE NO NFL TEAMS HAVE THE MASSIVE TALENT ADVANTAGE THAT OHIO STATE DOES. He is not going to be just arm punting to wide open elite level wide outs. He is not going to have an elite offensive line every single game. He is not going to have an elite defense that bails him out during his bad games. There is a reason he is falling down draft boards. 

 

 

If he's falling down draft boards because the media needs to change the narrative after every pro day in order to keep getting draft bros to read the dumb articles.

So yeah, the only players who can be good come from shitty teams with this absurd logic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im going to trust the coaches I guess and get behind whoever they choose with the 8th pick be it a QB or not. I somehow doubt it will be a QB since they got Darnold though. I dont necessarily think Darnold will fare mush better than Teddy but I could be wrong and hope I am of course.

Edited by YourLastThought
  • Beer 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

“proven” would be the key work from my quote. They have stated that a QB isn’t out of the question and are attending Pro Days for these players. Sure you can call it smokescreens, but we haven’t been too secretive about much lately. Especially our need to get rid of Teddy.

Part of me thinks everything they have done is in an effort to make up for the total botch they made in handling Teddy this offseason and pressure from the owner's box. It might not end well either.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

How did I know we weren't all in on Teddy? I mean to some degree I guess I can read minds......when they sign him to only a two year deal and are ready to part with him after 1 season.   That tells you a great deal about their mindset with Teddy.   Nothing ever suggested they were all in on Teddy.   

and there deal and talk about Darnold? Again, it reveals they aren't all in on Darnold. 

Did they and do they have hopes that a Teddy/Darnold could work out? Sure. That's called potential/upside.  That isn't all in.   

We were all in on Cam Newton.    Jake eventually hit that point.   Which means they don't get sent packing after a year that doesn't go as one hopes. 

Different staffs and owner now vs the Cam and Jake years. People always complained about Ron's talent evaluation skills. There is a chance the current guys are just as bad or worse instead of better. They might think Darnold is their franchise guy and be all in on him. And as I replied to ForJimmy, a lot of their actions could be in an effort to recover from the botch job they did of handling Teddy this offseason. And Teddy was signed for three years, not two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Verge said:

I think Fields has a better chance of falling than Mac Jones does. 

Curious why this is. What do you think is scaring people away from Fields?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CRA said:

He played against Trevor Lawerence/Clemson twice.  Only postseason play he didn't go into the game hurt.  He outplayed Trevor at the QB position in those games.    There was no massive talent advantage.  Clemson and Ohio St during recent times have consistently been right behind Bama in terms of talent. 

He had the top Stength of Schedule of of these QBs and lower recruiting rankings than Clemson and Alabama these past two years. Lawrence with Clemson against the ACC would make up a huge talent difference. I guess some people just don’t like Fields so they make up nonsense stars to discredit him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

Ohio State and Alabama have at least one tier higher talent than everyone else every single year. 

Does Pat Mahomes suck because of his bad performance in the super bowl? Because he and Trevor Lawrence both just got beat up all game long by the opposing defense. If you put Trevor Lawrence on Alabama or Ohio State they probably win 4 straight.

Again, I specifically brought up the 2 post season games vs Clemson.   Where Field's outplayed Trevor.    Clemson is right there with Ohio St in terms of talent/recruiting.  Both lag Bama.   Specifically, the recent window in college football.   And other teams are in that mix where Clemson and Ohio St are too.   Largely SEC school but they are there too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...