• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2021 Mock Draft

Verge

29 minutes ago, trueblade said:

It's the same "we" that made the call on Darnold, just not Bridgewater.

Bridgewater had to have Joe Brady behind it since he was his coach with the Saints. Rhule seems to let Brady have input on his offensive players still since he is being sent to Pro Days. They all share the blame for Teddy.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, irrevalentfalconsfan said:

The fact that he had the best receivers and not even close to the best numbers. That he's the least mobile QB in the upper part of QBs. That that's what he was until 9ers moved up, and now he's top 3?

Are we talking about the same guy? 

The guy had massive numbers last year, showed poise and control in all of his games, including the National Championship one. Yes, he had great receivers but it wasn't like those receivers were constantly having to make massive adjustments to make the catches. He made throws to all parts of the field, showed touch on short, medium and long throws and didn't put his receivers inn danger to make the catches (really important when one of your best receivers has the size of a high school sophomore).

Really, I've defended the guy again and again, feel free to look it up on the forum here. He's good, really good, and the most polished of the QB prospects out there. A team like the 49ers can snag him, give him the play book and send him out to start on opening day. He'll do just fine and will win right out of the gate. Playoffs first year.

Put him on a team like the Jags or Jets and he gets killed and ends up with no career. Just like every QB drafted by those guys for the last 15 years. And I pity the QBs those two will draft, they are walking into their dooms.

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

The guy had massive numbers last year, showed poise and control in all of his games, including the National Championship one. Yes, he had great receivers but it wasn't like those receivers were constantly having to make massive adjustments to make the catches. He made throws to all parts of the field, showed touch on short, medium and long throws and didn't put his receivers inn danger to make the catches (really important when one of your best receivers has the size of a high school sophomore).

Really, I've defended the guy again and again, feel free to look it up on the forum here. He's good, really good, and the most polished of the QB prospects out there. A team like the 49ers can snag him, give him the play book and send him out to start on opening day. He'll do just fine and will win right out of the gate. Playoffs first year.

Put him on a team like the Jags or Jets and he gets killed and ends up with no career. Just like every QB drafted by those guys for the last 15 years. And I pity the QBs those two will draft, they are walking into their dooms.

I thought he was talking about Meg Ryan, so I didnt even understand his last sentence for a minute

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, trueblade said:

It's the same "we" that made the call on Darnold, just not Bridgewater.

People seem to overlook the fact that Bridgewater might have been one of a few options.  Damn the contract, Marty, but the player?  He went 5-0 the year before, a former first rounder.  You do not find many sure things in free agency at QB.  And if the Panthers were the only team to ever miss on a QB free agent, I could see the criticism.  It is a process. 

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

So you rank Mac Jones over Trevor Lawrence?

You, sir, are truly dim.

1 hour ago, irrevalentfalconsfan said:

So you rank Mac Jones over Trevor Lawrence?

You, sir, are truly dim.

No one does.

Lawrence will, however, be going to the Jags (barring some crazy idea getting into their new coach) and history says he's set up to fail there. Not his fault, but bad organization fault. 

Lawrence is by all accounts a great player, but he's going to suffer what most  #1 draft picks suffer through. Jones, on the other hand, will be picked later, either going  to a team with a bit more organizational strength or to  a team like the 49ers that is pretty much a good QB short of a championship. If he goes there, his play style and pro readiness put him on a better and somewhat easier track to success in the NFL. 

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

No one does.

Lawrence will, however, be going to the Jags (barring some crazy idea getting into their new coach) and history says he's set up to fail there. Not his fault, but bad organization fault. 

Lawrence is by all accounts a great player, but he's going to suffer what most  #1 draft picks suffer through. Jones, on the other hand, will be picked later, either going  to a team with a bit more organizational strength or to  a team like the 49ers that is pretty much a good QB short of a championship. If he goes there, his play style and pro readiness put him on a better and somewhat easier track to success in the NFL. 

Correct.

Who has the better long term career?  Probably Trevor, but the first few years?  I'd guess Mac, especially if he's with Shanny.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I like Wilson a lot, but going to the Jets is like the kiss of death for a QB. Baker Mayfield has so far overcome the Cleveland curse, we'll have to see if Wilson can do the same in NY with a MUCH bigger spotlight on him.

Baker finally flipped the switch this season. Even with the talent he had around him the previous years they had zero coaching. Stefanski turned that mess around real quick.

If our coaching staff is as good as they’re supposed to be then getting a guy with the skill set that Darnold has should give us a pretty good chance at turning him around

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Baker finally flipped the switch this season. Even with the talent he had around him the previous years they had zero coaching. Stefanski turned that mess around real quick.

If our coaching staff is as good as they’re supposed to be then getting a guy with the skill set that Darnold has should give us a pretty good chance at turning him around

He didn't "flip the switch", he just took the next step in his development - namely cutting down on turnovers.

Darnold has a LOT further to go than Mayfield ever did.