• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Intrigued by Fields

ncfan

8 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Spending a 2,4, 6, and 1 to find a franchise QB doesn’t worry me.

How can people want to trade 3 firsts and some seconds for one but get their panties in a wad over draft in one to compete with Darnold? lol

They’re only wasted in no one turns out to be the future which is possible, but I won’t be mad at the effort or the unknown. 

Exactly. If we used those picks to move up to 5 or 6 and picked Fields no one would blink. This way we also have a young backup with potential no matter who wins the starting spot. Also if Darnold turns out to be great like people on her are suggesting then we can absolutely get a return by trading one of the two.

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wrong.

If the guy you used the first round pick on fails, or even if the guy you already had succeeds, then you wasted a first round pick when you could have used it to shore up a position of great need.

That's a bad outcome.

No its not!

ANY OUTCOME which sees you walk away from a first round pick and a second round pick with a franchise QB is a HUGE WIN.  There is no more important position on the field.

Every other pick you make is irrelevant until you have "the guy".  How much more obvious can it be?  How many non-franchise QB's have won a SB lately? 

Foles?  I mean, sure, the Eagles caught lightning in a bottle and won it with Foles, but I strongly suspect if Foles was forced to play that entire season he would have been found out and abused long before winning a Lombardi.  Who else? 

Flacco?  Dude has started 175 games in 11 years and thrown for over 40k yards.  The year he won the trophy he threw for 1100 yards, 11 TD and 0 INT's in the postseason.  Yes please.

You really have to go back to Brad Johnson to find a bona fide "nobody" QB winning a Super Bowl.  That's nearly 20 years ago, long before the NFL made the changes that ushered in the era of the QB.

We rolled the dice on Darnold.  I have zero problems rolling the dice on a second QB if a guy our staff believes in falls.  Maybe both of them fail, and then we'll be wondering why we didn't give up everything to go get Wilson/Lawrence/Lance or whoever succeeds.  The most important factor in our success as a franchise is finding that guy.

• Pie 5

14 minutes ago, onmyown said:

They’re only wasted if no one works out out, that is ineptness but placing all bets on Darnold might be too - when you have a shot to pick up someone and Darnold flops. Might be that no one works out, which is possible, but I won’t be mad at the effort or the unknown. 

The other side people forget about is that perhaps BOTH of them work out.  Then you get your draft capital back plus some ****AND**** you have your franchise guy.

We draft Fields.  Darnold starts this year and shows the NFL it's the Jets who are broken, not him.  He's a real live NFL starting QB.  Next year in camp, Fields wins the job.  We trade Darnold for a couple firsts and suddenly we look like geniuses.

Aren't we due some good karma at some point?  🙂

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Exactly. If we used those picks to move up to 5 or 6 and picked Fields no one would blink. This way we also have a young backup with potential no matter who wins the starting spot. Also if Darnold turns out to be great like people on her are suggesting then we can absolutely get a return by trading one of the two.

Yep. Say Fields falls and we draft him. Darnold plays lights out. Fields never plays a game. 

Darnold and Groppolo garnered a second + playing mediocre to bad. You really think Fields couldn’t be traded for at least a second? I’d even say a first in this scenario.

If you watched Jimmy Johnson’s interview he sad a boatload of calls always come in even after the draft for players, thou rarely happen. Doubt those calls are offers for less than what was spent lol.

This isn’t Hurney ball we aren’t clinging on to players for dear life on the cost of millions. I have no doubt Fit would auction off a player of potential for a good return if it presented itself.

It’s worth having insurance IMO, and wouldn’t be mad whatsoever with a QB. Hell a trade down like their talking about for Lance or Fields or Jones and picking up an extra second or even first next year is gold IMO, I’d prefer the best LT at 8 for sure, but I won’t lie saying I wouldn’t be happy with one of the above 3 battling it out with Darnold in camp.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The knock on Darrisaw being lackadaisical and lazy at times makes me want to hard pass.  Sewell and Slater both want to kill you.  Darrisaw just does enough and then stops.  Kiper interviewed him on Saturday and point blank asked him about his reputation and darrisaw said it was "the haters".  Hard fuging pass. 

Yeah i already didnt like him. Im definitely out now lol

23 minutes ago, BrianS said:

No its not!

ANY OUTCOME which sees you walk away from a first round pick and a second round pick with a franchise QB is a HUGE WIN.  There is no more important position on the field.

Every other pick you make is irrelevant until you have "the guy".  How much more obvious can it be?  How many non-franchise QB's have won a SB lately? 

Foles?  I mean, sure, the Eagles caught lightning in a bottle and won it with Foles, but I strongly suspect if Foles was forced to play that entire season he would have been found out and abused long before winning a Lombardi.  Who else? 

Flacco?  Dude has started 175 games in 11 years and thrown for over 40k yards.  The year he won the trophy he threw for 1100 yards, 11 TD and 0 INT's in the postseason.  Yes please.

You really have to go back to Brad Johnson to find a bona fide "nobody" QB winning a Super Bowl.  That's nearly 20 years ago, long before the NFL made the changes that ushered in the era of the QB.

We rolled the dice on Darnold.  I have zero problems rolling the dice on a second QB if a guy our staff believes in falls.  Maybe both of them fail, and then we'll be wondering why we didn't give up everything to go get Wilson/Lawrence/Lance or whoever succeeds.  The most important factor in our success as a franchise is finding that guy.

it's like the old saying goes "their putting the cart in front of the horse"🤗

& by the way thumbs up on a great post

Edited by bandu

39 minutes ago, onmyown said:

How can people want to trade 3 firsts and some seconds for one but get their panties in a wad over drafting one to compete with Darnold? lol

They’re only wasted if no one works out out, that is ineptness but placing all bets on Darnold might be too - when you have a shot to pick up someone and Darnold flops. Might be that no one works out, which is possible, but I won’t be mad at the effort or the unknown. 

Because these folks bitch about everything. They aren't using logic.

29 minutes ago, BrianS said:

No its not!

That's taking it more than a bit too far. Why is everything such an extreme? 

You can't win without a good team. This isn't rocket science.

5 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

That's taking it more than a bit too far. Why is everything such an extreme? 

You can't win without a good team. This isn't rocket science.

so Tampa Bay won the Superbowl because they were an extremely good team.?..

53 minutes ago, onmyown said:

How can people want to trade 3 firsts and some seconds for one but get their panties in a wad over drafting one to compete with Darnold? lol

Hearing you but it wouldn’t be a competition. And if it was we would look like fools either way Darnold losses we wasted 3 picks and if he wins we wasted a top 10 selection. 

2 hours ago, t96 said:

Not really, just more dart throws to hopefully get a bullseye at the most important position. Plus if Darnold plays even decent as a bridge QB we could still get some of those picks back trading him once the draft pick is ready, or if Darnold really dominates we could trade the draft pick for picks back later. I wouldn't blindly take a QB there we don't like just because they're a solid prospect and we need a long term solution there, but if the team is sold on Fields or Lance and they're sitting there then by all means go for it.

Drafting a QB at 8 isn’t even throwing a dart at Darnold he hasn’t even stepped on the field. Unless we can flip him for value that rookie QB would have to be sure fire to pull that trigger IMO 

15 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Hearing you but it wouldn’t be a competition. And if it was we would look like fools either way Darnold losses we wasted 3 picks and if he wins we wasted a top 10 selection. 

Why wouldn’t it be a competition? I’m a true believer in it. It’s what Rivera, Fox and Hurney didn’t believe in.

Hell let TB compete too if were fuged cap wise for him anyway (sarcasm mostly).

In all seriousness the Packers didn’t waste a pick when they already had Favre, Colts didn’t for Luck when they already had Manning, Patriots have used 2/3 round for QBs all along Brady’s later years...you keep swinging until you hit. If the Panthers had done this when Cam started getting hurt, who knows we might’ve traded down and gotten Lamar Jackson. Yea that’s another discussion and a lot of speculation but you never know.

I think it’s good for the players to know  there is someone keeping them on their toes. There is absolutely nothing wrong having a lot of young talent for the ‘next man up’ at QB instead of just a backup. It’s what the teams above did, Eagles took Hurts. Despite the picks given up, in no way did Darnold earn his spot as the Panther’s starting QB. Why give him that complacency? 

It’s not that I’d prefer it, as I said I prefer a top LT but I won’t be mad at it, I’d understand it and value the effort. And a trade down while we’re at it? It’s worth it. You keep swinging until you hit.

We have this notion of keeping one QB with talent and never upkeeping the position with talent not placeholders. I wouldn’t mind seeing that changing.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

You're talking like everybody was in favor of that idea.

A lot of us weren't.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1