• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Intrigued by Fields

ncfan

3 hours ago, Madwolf said:

I think the frustrating part for me, is if we're worried about being stuck in QB purgatory, then adding Darnold and winning another game or two a year doesn't help.

I'd rather have rolled with Teddy, PJ, and Will another year than waste draft picks and cap on a QB whose simply been brutal his entire career. He's been worse for his offense than Teddy has when you don't purely look at TDs from the QB.

We'd have been better of praying Fields or Lance fall to us, or taking a guy in the 2nd at QB wasting time with Darnold and the cap and picks that went with it.

I don't like Fields as a prospect, so I've been harsh on him, but he hasn't failed in the NFL for 3 years.

I just don't get the Darnold love. People say Darnold didn't have weapons in NY, but some of that is on him. Josh McCown had no problems making Robby look decent, and neither did Teddy. And the passing game is part of the reason Bell was so much worse there too. Crowder was better elsewhere as well.

People hated Teddy because he was nothing, but also not Cam.

People are loving Darnold because he is nothing, but not Teddy.

I want a LT because at least we can suck and protect someone we draft next year.

If Teddy were actually good we wouldn’t even be in this position to want to make a move for a Darnold or possibly draft a Fields or Lance. I didn’t hate Teddy because he wasn’t Cam. I just never thought he was going to be the guy to drive us down the field and win games. And then he proved that week after week. 

Darnold absolutely has been on teams that don’t have the talent around him that Teddy just did and Darnold has two seasons, out of three, where he threw for more touchdowns that Teddys single season high. 

The idea is that we will likely score more passing touchdowns by replacing Teddy and then score even more by having CMC back. 

You might get get the Darnold love but did you love the Teddy signing?

3 hours ago, Madwolf said:

I think the frustrating part for me, is if we're worried about being stuck in QB purgatory, then adding Darnold and winning another game or two a year doesn't help.

I'd rather have rolled with Teddy, PJ, and Will another year than waste draft picks and cap on a QB whose simply been brutal his entire career. He's been worse for his offense than Teddy has when you don't purely look at TDs from the QB.

We'd have been better of praying Fields or Lance fall to us, or taking a guy in the 2nd at QB wasting time with Darnold and the cap and picks that went with it.

I don't like Fields as a prospect, so I've been harsh on him, but he hasn't failed in the NFL for 3 years.

I just don't get the Darnold love. People say Darnold didn't have weapons in NY, but some of that is on him. Josh McCown had no problems making Robby look decent, and neither did Teddy. And the passing game is part of the reason Bell was so much worse there too. Crowder was better elsewhere as well.

I want a LT because at least we can suck and protect someone we draft next year.

If you could combine the best qualities of Teddy and Darnold I think you'd have a legit franchise NFL QB. Unfortunately, you can't. Darnold has more raw talent, but Teddy is the smarter quarterback. Honestly, I doubt Darnold works out either. I just hope he's boom or bust. Be the answer or net us the pick that gets us the answer.

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, Madwolf said:

For one thing, you're not going to die wondering with Darnold as your QB. He's going to take those shots that Bridgewater refused to.

Secondly he's not been brutal in the NFL. He's not been the savior the Jets hoped for, but it's clear that he's been saddled with an AWFUL HC / OC for two of his three years. As much as I love Berrios and Herndon (he'd start for us), they didn't provide him with enough weapons last year. When Crowder is your best receiver (and I think he's a very decent slot receiver) you're bold-faced tanking. 

There's multiple games like the one below on YouTube. The kid can play. The best indicator for me is that they were 0-10 when Darnold didn't start due to injury. 

• Pie 2

20 hours ago, Varking said:

If Teddy were actually good we wouldn’t even be in this position to want to make a move for a Darnold or possibly draft a Fields or Lance. I didn’t hate Teddy because he wasn’t Cam. I just never thought he was going to be the guy to drive us down the field and win games. And then he proved that week after week. 

Darnold absolutely has been on teams that don’t have the talent around him that Teddy just did and Darnold has two seasons, out of three, where he threw for more touchdowns that Teddys single season high. 

The idea is that we will likely score more passing touchdowns by replacing Teddy and then score even more by having CMC back. 

You might get get the Darnold love but did you love the Teddy signing?

I liked the Teddy signing because I thought it gave us a great guy to mentor whoever we drafted in year 2 or 3 of his contract.

With Darnold we don't have a good mentor, and I don't think he puts us in a better position to win games. I'd say it's roughly equal given that he's going to turn the ball over for a minor difference in personal thrown TDs.

When I look at the team, and who we acquire, I think it's important that they move us forward vs what we have. Darnold doesn't arguably do that, and we gave up a 2nd rounder and cap space for it. 

And going back to the "lack of talent" arguement.

Why did Robby Anderson have better seasons under Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater than under Sam Darnold? Robby was the best WR on that team when he was with Josh, and with Sam, and he still did better under Josh. He did better under Teddy when he was the 2nd and sometimes 3rd best WR on our team.

What's the difference between Mike Davis vs Levon Bell and Frank Gore?

Whose better between Ian Thomas and Chris Herndon?

And was the talent level poor at WR and TE in NYJ because of the actual talent or because of who was throwing them the ball? It's easy to argue it was a bit of both.

People are setting themselves up for disappointment acting like Sam Darnold is an obvious upgrade to Bridgewater.

ESPN did a breakdown of what chance the draftable QBs would upgrade their QB situation, and they included Teddy in Carolina's and said he had a 72% chance of being better than Darnold. And I absolutely think that the article was questionable in it's methods, because I don't think it's that clear, but I don't understand the fascination with Darnold.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

For one thing, you're not going to die wondering with Darnold as your QB. He's going to take those shots that Bridgewater refused to.

Secondly he's not been brutal in the NFL. He's not been the savior the Jets hoped for, but it's clear that he's been saddled with an AWFUL HC / OC for two of his three years. As much as I love Berrios and Herndon (he'd start for us), they didn't provide him with enough weapons last year. When Crowder is your best receiver (and I think he's a very decent slot receiver) you're bold-faced tanking. 

There's multiple games like the one below on YouTube. The kid can play. The best indicator for me is that they were 0-10 when Darnold didn't start due to injury. 

Great post. If he stinks it up, he stink it up. We didn’t give up a lot. We might even have Fields or Lance in waiting. 

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

That's against the raiders, one of the worst passing and scoring defenses in the league last year. Teddy threw for 367 against TB last year and no one was wowed.

And he HAS been brutal. He's been at the bottom of the league as a passer, lower than Teddy, this past season and wasn't much better his rookie year.

Yes, there is reason for hope, but this isn't like when Tannehill went from Miami to the Titans.

I'm not saying to not be hopeful. I hope Darnold proves me wrong. All I'm saying is that I don't like the trade because we don't definitively find ourselves in a better position now than we were in January. We're not talking about a rookie here. We're talking about a guy entering his 4th year, and the odds are longer the the worst horse in the Kentucky Derby for us to win this one.

4 hours ago, Madwolf said:

I liked the Teddy signing because I thought it gave us a great guy to mentor whoever we drafted in year 2 or 3 of his contract.

With Darnold we don't have a good mentor, and I don't think he puts us in a better position to win games. I'd say it's roughly equal given that he's going to turn the ball over for a minor difference in personal thrown TDs.

When I look at the team, and who we acquire, I think it's important that they move us forward vs what we have. Darnold doesn't arguably do that, and we gave up a 2nd rounder and cap space for it. 

Why did Robby Anderson have better seasons under Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater than under Sam Darnold? Robby was the best WR on that team when he was with Josh, and with Sam, and he still did better under Josh. He did better under Teddy when he was the 2nd and sometimes 3rd best WR on our team.

And was the talent level poor at WR and TE in NYJ because of the actual talent or because of who was throwing them the ball? It's easy to argue it was a bit of both.

People are setting themselves up for disappointment acting like Sam Darnold is an obvious upgrade to Bridgewater.

ESPN did a breakdown of what chance the draftable QBs would upgrade their QB situation, and they included Teddy in Carolina's and said he had a 72% chance of being better than Darnold. And I absolutely think that the article was questionable in it's methods, because I don't think it's that clear, but I don't understand the fascination with Darnold.

Nobody is thinking Darnold is going to be a realistic quick turn around to the point he’s a pro bowler or anything this year. People just want Teddy gone because he sucks the joy out of watching the Panthers play because we know how the second half is going to go. 

Who is fascinated with Darnold? Tag them and @ them. It’s not me. I think with Teddy we were relegating ourselves to the most boring QB in all of football and we would be repeating last year. Teddy at this point in his career has shown everyone who he is. 

As far as the Jets go their talent level was lower than ours at the skill positions. DJ Moore is better than Robbie and Robbie was their best WR. Samuel is better than their 3. 

It’s not even close that our three top pass catchers were better than the Jets 3. If you believe the Jets had better weapons than us I’d seriously question your football thinking. 

Sam Darnold vs the AFC East:

9 TDs and 21 INTs. The Dolphins and the Patriots have him at like 6 TDs and 16 INTs. 

Sam Darnold vs everyone else:

36 TDs and 18 INTs. 

Sam Darnold vs the NFC:

16 TDs and 6 INTs. 

The above are reasons I could talk myself into watching him try and play QB for this team next year. 

Teddy is 5 years older and been on better teams the the most touchdowns he’s thrown in any single season is 15. Darnold has already passed that mark twice out of his three years. I don’t need a guy only making it to 15 touchdown passes mentoring any rookie we have coming in. If he was a better mentor in NY then shouldn’t Darnold have looked better? If he was a better mentor in NO shouldn’t Taysom Hill look better? 

For Teddy it just got a point where it’s anything is better than watching year 2 of Teddy B play QB for the Panthers. 

Id draft Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance and even Jones over having Teddy on the roster. I’d take Lawrence, Fields or Wilson over Darnold right now. I’d take Rattler and Howell over Darnold as well. Plus, who knows who will be a free agent next year or the year after? 

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, Varking said:

Nobody is thinking Darnold is going to be a realistic quick turn around to the point he’s a pro bowler or anything this year. People just want Teddy gone because he sucks the joy out of watching the Panthers play because we know how the second half is going to go. 

Who is fascinated with Darnold? Tag them and @ them. It’s not me. I think with Teddy we were relegating ourselves to the most boring QB in all of football and we would be repeating last year. Teddy at this point in his career has shown everyone who he is. 

As far as the Jets go their talent level was lower than ours at the skill positions. DJ Moore is better than Robbie and Robbie was their best WR. Samuel is better than their 3. 

It’s not even close that our three top pass catchers were better than the Jets 3. If you believe the Jets had better weapons than us I’d seriously question your football thinking. 

Sam Darnold vs the AFC East:

9 TDs and 21 INTs. The Dolphins and the Patriots have him at like 6 TDs and 16 INTs. 

Sam Darnold vs everyone else:

36 TDs and 18 INTs. 

Sam Darnold vs the NFC:

16 TDs and 6 INTs. 

The above are reasons I could talk myself into watching him try and play QB for this team next year. 

Teddy is 5 years older and been on better teams the the most touchdowns he’s thrown in any single season is 15. Darnold has already passed that mark twice out of his three years. I don’t need a guy only making it to 15 touchdown passes mentoring any rookie we have coming in. If he was a better mentor in NY then shouldn’t Darnold have looked better? If he was a better mentor in NO shouldn’t Taysom Hill look better? 

For Teddy it just got a point where it’s anything is better than watching year 2 of Teddy B play QB for the Panthers. 

Id draft Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance and even Jones over having Teddy on the roster. I’d take Lawrence, Fields or Wilson over Darnold right now. I’d take Rattler and Howell over Darnold as well. Plus, who knows who will be a free agent next year or the year after? 

Nice breakdown of Darnold. Interesting to see how bad Miami and NE had his number, but he wasn’t so bad against the rest of the league. That could even be Miami and NE knowing what Gase is going to do because he was too stubborn to adjust his game plan.

Teddy has peaked and Darnold can still develop into something better. I’m just concerned he is going to keep us in the middle of the league unable to draft a top QB again next year, but I’ll gladly watch him over Teddy again...

7 hours ago, Madwolf said:

Your wrong lol this was probably Robbie’s worse year since his rookie year he had 3 td catches all year only two after week 1. People say oh wait he had 1,000 yds wow big deal. Then his yard per reception a little over 11 yds worse in his career. DJ Moore had 4 tds and I can show you film where Teddy repeatedly threw the ball short and Moore had to make these ridiculous catches. Teddy is garbage and will always be that. Not saying Darnold is the answer but he will push the ball downfield. Don’t see how Teddy is even in the league he’s just a scared little bi@tch.

Edited by BurnNChinn