• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting quote on Sam Darnold from the Athletic article grading all QB’s in this draft class

WarPanthers89

oh man watching  tape on Darnold just make so many mental errors in a clean pocket over & over & over 

I just Immm am very skeptical of his success

let me elabaroate some..the game is very fast for him to mentally process

Edited by bandu

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's always going to be disagreement. If everyone agreed on everything there would be no point in discussing. This place would just be one giant echo chamber.

Although I agree with this, there's reasonable disagreement, and there's just bitching. And while I support any panther fan's right to bitch here if they want, I do get tired of it. It is a big reason my readership is spotty outside the season. Also, not saying you are primarily just bitching either but there's a few examples in this thread, haha.

Not suggesting mods change anything because censorship would be worse I think. Heh.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Disagreements aren’t my problem. Indeed, that’s what makes this place worth coming back to. My problem is disagreements have now led to angry reactionary crybabies insisting everyone involved in this organization is ignorant of football and multiple alt accounts spawning out of nowhere to throw massive tantrums. 

Disagreement in discussion is great. Having meltdowns even has its time and place. But after an entire fugging year, this behavior from half this board has worn its welcome. It isn’t discussion. It’s a poo throwing meme fest 

We're you around in the months prior to and following Cam's release? Honestly, I don't think the overall vibe of the board is anywhere nearly as bad as it used to be.

5 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Although I agree with this, there's reasonable disagreement, and there's just bitching. And while I support any panther fan's right to bitch here if they want, I do get tired of it. It is a big reason my readership is spotty outside the season. Also, not saying you are primarily just bitching either but there's a few examples in this thread, haha.

Not suggesting mods change anything because censorship would be worse I think. Heh.

Is constant bitching really any different than constant blind homerism? Just curious.

Yeah, both sets of posters annoy me. I just don't really see a lot of difference in them. 

17 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Well keep head hunting. It is the offseason, an extra boring and overblown one than usual. I get the irritation for different reasons. Fans will always fan how they want just like we do at everything else.

I get your angle, I just have a different one. I am soooooo glad we didn't spend that on Wilson. I was sweating before the storm it. Time will tell and there is a ton in the air but they do have to prove it. We made some big mistakes last year, fingers crossed it was Hurney and we learned. One huge reason some fans are freaked out is that Teddy debacle went so south and part of making the Darnold shot a bullseye is it requires that same premise to succeed as the Teddy experiment. Even though I hated the cost of Watson, he was already a bullseye on the field. It's not the cost for me with Darnold, it's putting all of our eggs in that basket. I don't believe he will succeed but I do hope he does, at least now that I am not seeing red. 

Fwiw, remember this is a multi year rebuild and if Darnold flops, we will ideally be in good position for a QB next year. I trust our management to make smart moves to improve the QB position. A safe management would have looked at Teddy and stood pat because he is better than the unknown in a lot of ways. But we want to win and will make moves to do so.

I expect we will actually add another QB too, but it may be a vet to compete.  Unless someone slides a little...

Another reason I like the Darnold trade: Darnold is less likely than Teddy to keep us in QB purgatory.  Unlike Teddy, he will push the ball down the field and he will try to make plays.  That is likely either to mean big gains for us if he is making smart decisions, or more losses if he isn't.  More losses would mean a better draft position next year. 

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Is constant bitching really any different than constant blind homerism? Just curious.

Homerism leading up to a draft and regular season can build hype and interest depending on how blind it is.  Certainly at this point it is less annoying to read.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're you around in the months prior to and following Cam's release? Honestly, I don't think the overall vibe of the board is anywhere nearly as bad as it used to be.

Fwiw that was a low point in the Huddle.  I do think winning will cure all woes so I'm hoping this year does so.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

They have said a lot of things, I'm ready to see them show up. 

I felt the same about the previous owner and regime. At this point I'll just wait and see what happens. If the team keeps making the same sort of mistakes they did under the previous owner, I'll just quit watching. So far the new guys have been meh. I can find other things to do on a Sunday afternoon than watch something that I have no hope in or get joy from watching.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Fwiw, remember this is a multi year rebuild and if Darnold flops, we will ideally be in good position for a QB next year. I trust our management to make smart moves to improve the QB position. A safe management would have looked at Teddy and stood pat because he is better than the unknown in a lot of ways. But we want to win and will make moves to do so.

I expect we will actually add another QB too, but it may be a vet to compete.  Unless someone slides a little...

Another reason I like the Darnold trade: Darnold is less likely than Teddy to keep us in QB purgatory.  Unlike Teddy, he will push the ball down the field and he will try to make plays.  That is likely either to mean big gains for us if he is making smart decisions, or more losses if he isn't.  More losses would mean a better draft position next year. 

I can't remember where it was here but the scenario of us taking another QB this year regardless only increases the odds of finding a long term solution and the best case of having another highly desirable QB to trade away for more than we used to acquire them is a possibility with the Darnold move. At this point Sam is the vet in the room hopefully. What I don't know is what QBs the people in charge like on the board where. Fritts did say he likes to take a QB every year, for what that is worth at this point.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Fwiw that was a low point in the Huddle.  I do think winning will cure all woes so I'm hoping this year does so.

Yeah, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an optimistic fan base of any team that has three consecutive losing seasons. Now, the teams that are going to draft QBs highly next weekend might see a turnaround in optimism.

24 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Scot McCloughan, senior personnel executive when they drafted the legion of boom and Wilson. Went to WTF and Seattle never found the same balance and had a huge decline on quality. Dude produced as a draft expert with guidance over him. 

Looking at his Drafts as the Redskins GM I'm not sure he was the genius behind the throne. 

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Of course I was. Been coming here for 10 years. But that’s literally my point. It has not stopped since Cam was released. It’s been this way over a year now. And guess what? I wanted us to keep Cam. Figured if he could stay healthy then we still had our franchise guy and if he could not then we would be in the Lawrence sweepstakes as his contract ran out. 

But ever since then it’s just been constant man. That’s my only gripe. As Mav said, reasonable disagreement is fine but it’s just gone way beyond that for so long now.

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan