• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer also has us taking Fields, believes Tepper is pushing for it.

GoobyPls

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Yeah and if one like Sewell falls to us, we should. We just don’t need to draft one in the first just for the sake of doing it though. If the value is there, I’m for it.

Left tackle Slater is infinitely more valuable to this team than Horn.  There is absolutely no way I can be argued off this point.  Just like last year LT wirfs or Beckton is infinitely more valuable than DT Brown

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

"all those picks" lmao. You act like we gave up a kings ransom.

Our new GM comes from an organization that prides itself on acquiring picks and drafting their core players in the mid rounds.

I really don’t like how Seattle builds their team and I sure as hell don’t want the Panthers to model themselves after them. Seattle may have acquired tons of picks out most of them end up busts. 
If it wasn’t for Wilson that team would be bad. 
Every year they rattle off 10 straight wins because of Wilson. Then Struggle to win the last 6 and then are knocked out in the first round. 
I prefer the philosophy: Get some high picks and build around them. Not Seattle philosophy of throwing crap at the board and seeing what sticks. 

• Pie 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Left tackle Slater is infinitely more valuable to this team than Horn.  There is absolutely no way I can be argued off this point.  Just like last year LT wirfs or Beckton is infinitely more valuable than DT Brown

Depends if our staff sees him as a NFL LT or G. He only played LT this past year and it’s was an unusual year, especially in the Big 10...

4 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Eagles have a Superbowl, if he was pulling strings in that window come on down bahahahahaha -- it's gone to poo since then sure, but they got a Lombardi. 

And within two years, the guy who was primarily responsible is fired in favor of the owners b-tch and the team is one of the worst in the league.

If you're fine with that formula, you should be hoping Jerry Richardson somehow gets the team back because that's exactly how he ran things.

One fluke season followed by several years of sh-t isn't my thing.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Woody Johnson may be the most hands off owner in the NFL. He let his coach hire his own GM. How's that been working out for the Jets?

I expect Tepper to keep the football on track with the philosophy. Everything roster related is secondary to finding the QB. That's the only piece of the roster puzzle that absolutely has to be solved to field a consistently competitive team. A stud LT is a great thing to have but you can build a good OL without one. A stud CB is a great thing to have but you can build a good secondary without one. A stud QB is a good thing to have but you can build an elite offense without one... oh wait, no you can't.

And if it turns out that Tepper believes in Sam Darnold, will you still be on board with this?

I’m getting the feeling our staff has had the trade back convos and don’t like the price they’d get back in return. Therefore the Fields hype is coming out now to get a team to trade with Detroit, who seems to be our only roadblock from Sewell or an elite receiver 

Brown is also very important to this team. Our run defense was so awful before he was drafted all teams needed to do was hand it off, control the clock and score with no issues. This was with Luke still playing. Players like Brown are similar to offensive linemen, they get under appreciated, but defenses fall apart without them. Luke was at his best when we had Star clogging the lane.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

You're contradicting yourself. Darnold can't prove he deserves anything if the whole concept of deserving anything is ridiculous. 🙃

The thing is the coaches and GM may think Darnold is the guy and he should be given the chance to prove that to them. Did the Panthers ever bring anyone in to compete with Cam? Did the fans want Cam to compete for the starting job? The answer to both those questions is no. The same was true for Kerry Collins back when he was drafted. The same will be true if Fields or any other QB is drafted in the first round and that makes the trade for Darnold a waste.

Like I said this is the NFL. If you are waiting for someone roll out the red carpet to get your shot for then I have some bad news. The fact that Darnold is currently on the Panthers roster is giving him the chance to prove himself. Also, Cam did compete for his spot every season and he proved all the way up to the moment he was released he was the best QB the Panthers can get.

Your issue seems to be of the perceived unfairness of the NFL. Ye, I would agree the NFL is unfair but it is what it is. I would even extend that to life in general. Everyone feels the short end of the stick at one point. I don’t know why Darnold all of a sudden needs to be accommodated and given a pity party. I know I’m going to sound corny when saying this but “if he dies, he dies”.

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Brown is also very important to this team. Our run defense was so awful before he was drafted all teams needed to do was hand it off, control the clock and score with no issues. This was with Luke still playing. Players like Brown are similar to offensive linemen, they get under appreciated, but defenses fall apart without them. Luke was at his best when we had Star clogging the lane.

Sure but run stopping DT are much much easier to find than a solid LT.  I mean hell we just signed a run stopping DT

4 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

I just don't understand why so many people are on the ropes with the idea of drafting a QB at 8. Competition breeds competitiveness.

How many of you competition breeds competitiveness guys wanted the Panthers to draft first round QBs when Cam was here? That's just a line you guys are saying as an excuse to want a first round QB this year.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Everything roster related is secondary to finding the QB. That's the only piece of the roster puzzle that absolutely has to be solved to field a consistently competitive team. A stud LT is a great thing to have but you can build a good OL without one. A stud CB is a great thing to have but you can build a good secondary without one. A stud QB is a good thing to have but you can build an elite offense without one... oh wait, no you can't.

That didn't workout too well for the Panthers when they had Cam Newton. Three winning seasons and one superbowl appearance that they lost. Kerry Collins was a franchise QB too. One winning season and one NFC championship game, which they lost, out of four. 

You may not be able to build an elite offense without a stud QB, but you can build a superbowl winning one as season by Difler's Ravens, Johnson's Bucs, and Foles' Eagles.  Manning's Giants may fit this mold as well depending on how one feels about Eli.

I have seen so many Reports pointing to Tepper being behind our interest in D-Watson. Its obvious Rhule was not happy with Teddy at the end of last year. Fit is new here, probably wants his own guy. I think its fair to assume everyone in the FO wants a new QB to build around. The question is do those guys agree on who it will be (Darnold, Fields, Lance, or Jones?) I would love to know how those conversations have gone down.

• Pie 2