• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Regarding our pick...

Masterson

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2021/3/25/22309445/what-makes-jaycee-horn-the-best-cornerback-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

Give this a look, this guy's athleticism/freakishness is Calvin Johnson esk. Regardless glad we solidified our secondary with this pick. Our skill players on offense look good and I could see some good steals at O line in second round. Overall I wanted us to get top corner and we did.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, Masterson said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ninersnation.com/platform/amp/2021/3/25/22309445/what-makes-jaycee-horn-the-best-cornerback-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

Give this a look, this guy's athleticism/freakishness is Calvin Johnson esk. Regardless glad we solidified our secondary with this pick. Our skill players on offense look good and I could see some good steals at O line in second round. Overall I wanted us to get top corner and we did.

Steals at offensive line? It's going to take a trade up. It's been like this the last few years. Second round offensive line talent takes trading up.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 3

Yea I don’t see my steals in the second lol...the talent is gone.

FO ignoring the oline yet again.

It’s weird how last year’s oline ranked below cams entire careers line rank average and yet was easily people’s #2 complaint (out of like 6) only next to shula for the failure of that era yet the complain seemed to have completely disappeared for some reason

not saying there was an olineman to take that high at 8 but it appears the Panthers will yet again ignore this huge issue 

Edited by onmyown
  • Flames 1

I've also seen some less encouraging articles. Horn is an aggressive press corner that is being minimized in today's NFL. He's the type of corner that will fit certain schemes, but not others. 

I'm going to keep an open mind, & trust that Fitt & Rhule know what they're doing, even if this pick seems a little underwhelming.

• Pie 2

It is frustrating, but we are doing EXACTLY what we should have done.

Horn had a 30% completion rate against him last year.  Our CBs had a 71% completion rate OUTSIDE THE NUMBERS!!!  Teams coverted first downs on us nearly half the time 49.1%.  The league average is in the 30s.  The average team gets the ball for 12 possessions per game-but if you can't get off the field, they have longer possessions and you have fewer possessions.  The average possession in the NFL is equal to about 2 points.  Last year, the panthers pass defense was so bad, it cost them the equivalent of 4 points per game--just by allowing first downs on third down.  That is three wins and 1 tie if we could only get off the field.

That is how we lost games last year.  We HAD to have an alpha CB--a #1 CB--to shut down the alpha WRs in the NFL--Thomas, Evans, Jones--do you think Pride was that guy?  Jackson?  We needed a superior athlete who was good in man / press coverage and can play zone.  A tall CB.  Horn was the best player we could have drafted, and it makes sense now.

Go look at the remaining players for round 2 and pick me out a CB1.  I will wait right here.  See you in a minute.  THERE AREN'T ANY.

Go look at the remaining players for round 2 and pick me out a starting caliber LT--there are at least 4. 

Oh, and why did we not take Fields?  Because you do not bury your talent before you develop it.  Darnold needed a vote on confidence and we gave it to him.   Sure, Fields could be better, but he may not--and then you have no QBs.

Tomorrow, we will draft a LT and the village will rejoice.  We may draft a S first, and if so, we will move back up into the second round to get a T.

We are doing exactly what we needed to do.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

I'm good with the Horn pick and think his press and man coverage skills are better than every other corner in the draft.

That being said, I am worried about our defensive scheme. We don't play press coverage and typically have our corners 10 yards off the ball. If we do this, then we are going to waste Horn's talent. Our coaching staff needs to adjust and play our corners closer to the LOS (or Horn at least)

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

It’s weird how last year’s oline ranked below cams entire careers line rank average and yet was easily people’s #2 complaint (out of like 6) only next to shula for the failure of that era yet the complain seemed to have completely disappeared for some reason.

Convenient to the Hate-Teddy clique and their false narrative...

• Beer 1