• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule on Rich Eisen Today

1 hour ago, shaqattaq said:

I only watched the Bills game so far (stupid Zoom meeting), but 2 things are immediately obviously; No one is going to block, and Crowder is the only guy open.  Coming from an offense where the opposing D-line does whatever it wants and only 1 receiver has to be covered...Sam has got to be like a kid in a candy store.

I will not take this Herndon slander sitting down. (Berrios is open too, but some would see that as me being a biased fan).

25 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I provide merely highlights of what he can do and you decide to be a negative nancy and put up negative sh-t.   

BTW, found this from one of the comments below :

This is a good review, but it is overlooking how bad these plays are. The first play analyzed is literally doomed from before the snap. In order for that play to work, you need a better o line or receiver or both. Darnold's problem is that Gase is asking him to do stupid or difficult things under duress. Of course it doesn't work.

Or take the redzone fail. The critique is that Darnold locks on, but the only open chance is a corner on the far side of the field that requires the QB to turn his body before throwing. You can't make the best option a ridiculous, low percentage pass. Jets are doing it all the time.

Gee, perhaps it's not a case of a "backyard QB who's not seeing the field", the F is Sabo smoking to call someone a Backyard QB, first of all?   Jesus....

Pretty much what Tim Jenkins said - the play calling sets him up to fail:

3 hours ago, Castavar said:

I always find that interesting. I think the Steelers and Tomlin take a similar approach. Drafting players from families with football pedigree. I mean it makes since, these kids have grown up with a HUGE competitive advantage being able to learn from somebody that's been there before. It's like having your own NFL personal trainer your whole life and getting to use resources that other kids just didn't have.

Surtain's dad played in the NFL

POPS

Patrick Surtain played for Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs in his 10-year career

26 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Darnold is a backyard QB. That isn’t a slam. Mahomes is a backyard QB but he was able to put it all together within and outside structure. 

Some of these plays are impossible to know what is going on and some are obvious. He definitely has processing issues.  Was Gase telling Darnold where to throw? Because dudes are wide ass open and he’s literally looking right at them and not pulling the trigger. I see all sides of this. Gase is a horrific coach. Darnold should be making easy layup passes that he missed (while staring right at the fuging receiver), and some of the play designs are issues we had with Shula and Cam. Very low percentage throws.

I hope the coaching staff dumbs this down for him until he gets more confidence to put more on his plate. Nobody can deny the raw talent is there. Off script he does things like 5 qbs in the league can do. Brady obviously runs a much better system that is qb friendly and I do think Sam is going to have a career year here but I have no idea how he’s gonna react in pressure situations. 

Maybe you missed this :

But if this is any indication, he'll react quite well.

Plus, he won't have to be running for his life this time with an AVERAGE(at worst) O-line that he will have in Carolina.

• Poo 1

4 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Maybe you missed this :

Plus, he won't have to be running for his life this time with an AVERAGE(at worst) O-line that he will have in Carolina.

That’s not the pressure situations I’m talking about. 49ers were winning 31-6 when that play occurred. I’m talking 4th quarter game on the line plays. Teddy failed miserably. I have no idea how Darnold will be. 

i said in that post darnold can make plays that like 5 qbs in the league can make because he is talented but it’s putting it all together that most people have concerns about.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

That’s not the pressure situations I’m talking about. 49ers were winning 31-6 when that play occurred. I’m talking 4th quarter game on the line plays. Teddy failed miserably. I have no idea how Darnold will be. 

i said in that post darnold can make plays that like 5 qbs in the league can make because he is talented but it’s putting it all together that most people have concerns about.

Yeah...I kind of realized that wasn't what you meant.   I would've changed my post but for some damn reason, the "edit" button NEVER shows up for me.  

I think, though, that with the team he has surrounding him, there will be a chance to see how he does in Pressure situations whereas when he was with the Jets, he was always playing from behind from the get-go. 

• Poo 1

4 hours ago, ChapelHeel80 said:

Why Jaycee Horn over Surtain? He was the perfect player for us. They loved that his dad played in the NFL. 

Why not Justin Fields? I believe in Sam. He deserves the opportunity to go out there and play for us. The hit rate on QB's in the first round is not very high. 

Does he know Sam contributed to that low first round hit rate lmao

24 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Maybe you missed this :

And also this....

19 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I think he's much more likely to get things rolling in those situations than teddy. I see a lot of Jake in him.

• Pie 1

What drives value on the Panthers draft board?

Fitterer: From a scouting standpoint, we scout the player as a person, as the athlete and we grade them overall. Then we get the coaches involved, and they tell us the fit. That's what drives the value on our board. How we place them based on the roles they would play – year one, year two, year three. Do we see them as a rotation player? Do we see them as a starter? Do we see them as a depth level? That's what really drives us. It's a process that's a year long, and coaches and scouts are involved. That's how we figure out the value.

Rhule: I would agree with what Scott said. I think when you take a guy in the top 10, you're hoping to get an impact starter. As you go further down the draft, those things change. The thing that's different is as we look at each player, we have a medical grade on them that no one else sees. There are some guys that are really good players, but they might slide, or you might not take them because of their medical grade just because of injuries or the potential for future things to happen. We have intelligence testing. We have height, weight speed. We have all these things. So not everything is always out there. People value different things differently. The biggest thing is what role they play in your organization. That's the value. If they're going to come in and compete to start or if they're going to come in and be a rotational player or sub‐start or if they are going to be a special teams player. Those are the things that we try to communicate back and forth, and from there you establish this is what the value is. There is a concept sometimes out there of value where you could have gotten this guy later or you could have gotten him here. It really comes down to if you think a guy is a starter and you draft him to be a starter and he is a starter, then you got the right value. I think that is why Scott was so disciplined about letting the board fall to us. We think this guy is here. Let's not chase him. Let's get him where we think we should get him.

3 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Also, it could be recency bias, but I just don't remember Hurney or Gettleman ever speaking on their picks with this much certainty and conviction that they were coming in to contribute right away.  Part of it may have to do with, even from the outside looking in, that there appears to be a legit plan in place, and the picks bear that out.  They took guys that made sense, filled a need, and clearly show they plan on throwing them in the fire immediately.  Under Gettleman and Hurney, we always had those headacratching picks where it literally felt like they just were throwing darts in the war room - no need, not athletic, etc.  And in the presser, it also was clear through their generic responses that they weren't clear on how that pick was going to be used or if they even planned on them being on the roster come August.  We are clearly in a different era, and I love it.

You got a good point, nice analysis. 👍

https://www.panthers.com/news/2021-draft-day-3-transcripts

(well copy that quote went really well on the phone. Bah.....) 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

I provide merely highlights of what he can do and you decide to be a negative nancy and put up negative sh-t.   

BTW, found this from one of the comments below :

This is a good review, but it is overlooking how bad these plays are. The first play analyzed is literally doomed from before the snap. In order for that play to work, you need a better o line or receiver or both. Darnold's problem is that Gase is asking him to do stupid or difficult things under duress. Of course it doesn't work.

Or take the redzone fail. The critique is that Darnold locks on, but the only open chance is a corner on the far side of the field that requires the QB to turn his body before throwing. You can't make the best option a ridiculous, low percentage pass. Jets are doing it all the time.

Gee, perhaps it's not a case of a "backyard QB who's not seeing the field", the F is Sabo smoking to call someone a Backyard QB, first of all?   Jesus....

that poster must have watched it with the sound off, because the video creator mentions Gase's plays, tendencies, and explains why the redzone play should work very well.

that was a very weak critique.

there's a reason Darnold was traded for cheap, and it's not because he's a franchise QB just waiting for the right team.

I thought you guys would know this considering how poor of an offense Cam played in for years, and the bad players surrounding him. Cam still was great, it didn't matter.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1