• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Questions about Newton's status in NE?

Mr. Scot

Albert Breer thinks it's possible there could be after the team's signing of Brian Hoyer.

From PatsSTH1969 (@PatsSTH1969): Out of the four quarterbacks on the Patriots roster (Newton, Stidham, Jones, Hoyer), which is the worst system fit and why?

Pats ’69er, I feel like this is a trap! Obviously the one that doesn’t fit with the others is Cam Newton (though I could make an argument that Jarrett Stidham’s background matches up cleaner with Newton’s than Mac Jones’s or Brian Hoyer’s), and so I think what you’re asking is whether Hoyer’s return to Foxboro could mean the end for Newton there.

It might. It’s easy to see how, if the Patriots really liked what they saw from Jones at rookie camp over the week, they might think it’s time to get him a veteran sounding board in case he winds up starting—on the premise that Newton wouldn’t fit as a backup. Or, if you think about it, it also could set the Patriots up to give Jones a true redshirt year, where if Newton were to get hurt, they wouldn’t have to press him into action.

And then, guess what. You’ve got your answer on why bringing Hoyer back makes sense. He will be, at baseline, a good resource for the No. 15 pick, as a guy who’s spent much of his 12-year career in Josh McDaniels’s system. From there, he’d work in either scenario.

Or maybe he won’t make the team.

By the way: It’s May. I wouldn’t overreact.

5/19 Mailbag

Side Note: Breer also says we're currently 10th in available cap space.

This will change given that we haven't signed all of our rookies yet, including our top pick.

Penei Sewell signed his deal today, so the players taken both before and after Horn have signed (per Person).

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Side Note: Breer also says we're currently 10th in available cap space.

This will change given that we haven't signed all of our rookies yet, including our top pick.

Penei Sewell signed his deal today, so the players taken both before and after Horn have signed (per Person).

It’s crazy to not see the colts up there.... they’ve been leading the league in cap space since Peyton left.

ugg...this AGAIN? We had to endure the Watson mess getting pinned, and how Cam?

Cam is not coming back here to be a backup to a 23 year old. 

For so many people that complain about Ron Rivera being stubborn and not willing to move on from vets...some of you are just like him.

• Beer 5
  • Poo 1

2 minutes ago, Ready 2 Win said:

ugg...this AGAIN? We had to endure the Watson mess getting pinned, and how Cam?

Cam is not coming back here to be a backup to a 23 year old. 

For so many people that complain about Ron Rivera being stubborn and not willing to move on from vets...some of you are just like him.

There's no suggestion in this post that Newton is coming back.

There is, however, the possibility that he doesn't stick in New England.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's no suggestion in this post that Newton is coming back.

There is, however, the possibility that he doesn't stick in New England.

I didnt quote you, nor did I quote the poster that suggested it. Not trying to start any bullS&%t. Just, no. Cam is not coming here as a QB. Its time to say goodbye to yesterday (Boyz to Men for the old heads) 

Just now, Varking said:

If New England wants to move on from him they should look to swap him for Foles in Chicago. Cam can help groom Fields and Foles would be much better than Stidham or Hoyer to learn from in NE. Both teams win. 

I could see that.

One thing: The Bears system doesn't really fit Newton's skill set much better than the Patriots system does.