• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Tommy Stevens will be the #3 QB

MHS831

The problem (in addition to our QB depth chart being as thin as a coat of paint) is Grier has not demonstrated he can move up the depth chart.  He started at #3, we purged everyone above him, and he was still #3.  Nor does he offer anything else. 

If he can't at least become #2 on the depth chart, we'd be better off trying to make a #3 QB out of Charlton than keeping him.  About the only thing he has going for him right now is he is cheap, but so are the other options. 

Then consider that almost any team that gets to their 3rd QB is toast.  The ones that aren’t toast are in a world or hurt or have defenses so good that their offense is almost optional, anyway.  Because of that, if your #3 QB can do anything else (RB, TE, WR, LT, P, trainer) their value on the roster is higher.

• Pie 4

I think Stevens just needs to beat out Ian Thomas.  We could save 1.5m in cap by going with Stevens over Thomas.

I like Tremble's versatility - being able to play TE/FB/HB etc., but he is going to take a pounding.  I'd be excited if he plays all 17 games, but it's not a given. 

I think we carry 3 TEs (including Stevens) + Tremble.  I could see Stevens being the emergency QB/3rd TE/wildcat guy and cutting Grier.  I hate to take a dead cap hit on a 3rd string QB, but Grier just doesn't seem to have it (yet).

50 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

I have vision. I have great vision and I saw that drafting Justin Fields at 8 would’ve made great competition at our QB position and could very well end up being the franchise QB for the next 10 years. Not some undrafted QB that the Panthers and Saints were fighting for last year. Swiss Army knife QB. lol. 

Can someone check whether Trainwreck has gone off the rails since the Draft, or has he / she / they always been like this?

If it's a recent thing, by George, I think I've found the catalyst. 

22 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It is murky at best.  I think we need a real #2, and if Stevens were to win that job, forget the whole idea.  I mean, I hate to compare him to Taysom Hill, but he started and won a game or two--and they are very similar players in terms of skill set.  Hill ran a 4.44 to Stevens 4.49, but Hill is 6-2, 225, Stevens 6-5 235. 

The big question:  Is Stevens good enough to be the third QB? 

Then ask, can he be the #3 QB and play gunner, TE, wildcat, etc.?  If so, our offense and special teams could be better---

or we could keep Will Grier in case we lose 2 QBs....

That's the only question, really.

I would never, ever go into a season with just 2 QBs on the roster (fug having a guy on the PS). How those 3 breaks down depends on your situation - could be 3 guys competing for the job, or a bonafide starter, a good backup and a developmental guy. Either way it's the most important position in sports.

I'm not ready to write off Grier just yet. We know what we have in Walker - a guy that can spot start, but he's not someone to bank on. If Stevens beats out any of those guys based on his ability to throw a football and read a defence then fantastic - the other stuff he can do is gravy. 

You make a good point though - Rhule loves versatility and Brady threw the guy into games last year, so he's got to be a front runner for a roster spot. 

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m kind of high on Peyton Ramsey as well. I would love to see him on our practice squad and develop into a solid backup for our team. We do need a solid veteran to help Darnold and serve as the temporary backup though.

I don't think we do.

He's had McCown and Flacco in his ear for two of his three years in the league. It's time to spread his wings and fly. 

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Can someone check whether Trainwreck has gone off the rails since the Draft, or has he / she / they always been like this?

If it's a recent thing, by George, I think I've found the catalyst. 

Well a lot of the decisions made this year (Plus the 3yr Teddy deal turned 1yr rental) will have an affect on whether or not Matt Rhule finishes that huge contract he signed. I'd say he will be fine as long as he doesn't turn into a guy with the label of not being to figure out the QB position or continuing to push positions of need (that have been considered a need for longer than just 1, 2 years) off to the next year and still not properly addressing. 

I know this thread isn't about that, but just saying. Also not saying that Matt is on the hot seat or anything by any means.

I know Tommy Stevens played for Joe Brady in New Orleans.  But Stevens did virtually nothing as a college QB.  And his NFL draft profile includes weaknesses such as

• Dual-threat who lacks passing profile of an NFL quarterback 
  • Will air-mail throws over the receiver's head
  • Lacks field vision to recognize trouble
  • Anticipation is below average as a passer

I can't see why the Panthers would keep this guy on the roster as a QB ?

• Pie 1

I t

40 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

What School did Stevens go to? So we know whether or not he's gonna be gud. 

I think Stevens played QB at Miss. St. after transferring from Penn St., He wasn't good enough a QB to get drafted high (NO drafted in in the 6th? or 7th). He is a pretty good Athlete and is viewed in the same way as Taysom Hill (Just really raw).

The Saints listed him as a TE, but he is listed as a QB on our roster

Edited by Michael G

12 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I don't think we do.

He's had McCown and Flacco in his ear for two of his three years in the league. It's time to spread his wings and fly. 

He had Gase overseeing the whole thing. I see where you are going with it though. Just Brady and him from ground zero. What if he has to miss a game or two with an injury though. I would like a decent placeholder there just in case.

12 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I know Tommy Stevens played for Joe Brady in New Orleans.  But Stevens did virtually nothing as a college QB.  And his NFL draft profile includes weaknesses such as

• Dual-threat who lacks passing profile of an NFL quarterback 
  • Will air-mail throws over the receiver's head
  • Lacks field vision to recognize trouble
  • Anticipation is below average as a passer

I can't see why the Panthers would keep this guy on the roster as a QB ?

Tommy Stevens was drafted last year (2020 draft) so his NFL career never overlapped with Joe Brady’s in New Orleans. Brady was last working for the Saints in 2018.

• Pie 1