• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2021 Who is our 'Rival'?

CanadianCat

2 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

History.  Until we beat it we're doomed to repeat it.

Was just about to say back-to-back winning seasons. We get that checked off and we will have some serious improvement as a whole.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Maybe Darnold shows his ass and goes off vs. Buccs... Maybe that continues and maybe it doesn't bother Tom because well he aint gone lose sleep over us, but maybe it gets to the other guy Kyle Trask (who maybe gets the start in 2023 or maybe Brady says fug him and stays).

I know this says 2021 lol im just throwing a random (probably unlikely) scenario out there

Honestly, with our coaching staff and the culture they're building... I'd say it'll be exactly what @Mr. Scotsaid, maybe our rival is who we're playing that week. Take it a game at a time. That's the kinda coach Rhule is. 

20 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

Never knew NFL teams had rivals, or chants.  Thought that was just college.

I’ll ask an old John McKay question....which rival/opponent is the sweetest victory, which the most painful loss.  Regardless of the opponents win/loss history?

Good question.  Here are some of the best I can think of off tops.

Beating the defending champion Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs at home in our 2nd year was pretty epic. Also following that up in 03 with another Dallas playoff ass kicking in BOA.

Beating the defending champion Buccaneers by blocking an extra point with no time left on the clock sending us to overtime where we won was other worldly.

2008 @ NO last second FG to win the division. (was there)

2013 vs NO Hixon last second TD in the rain.

2015 vs Dallas on Thanksgiving. Luke back to back Ints.

Honorable mention: Jacksonville.  Our expansion brother.  Its more relaxed than an actual rivalry but I always keep an eye out when they play well.

Oh and losses?  Yeah I dont really remember those.  Not sure its ever happened?

Edited by L-TownCat
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Beating the defending champion Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs at home in our 2nd year was pretty epic. Also following that up in 03 with another Dallas playoff ass kicking in BOA.

Beating the defending champion Buccaneers by blocking an extra point with no time left on the clock sending us to overtime where we won was other worldly.

Honorable mention: Jacksonville.  Our expansion brother.  Its more relaxed than an actual rivalry but I always keep an eye out when they play well.

Thank you for your answer, I am truly interested.  Looks like Dallas and NO?  

TB....the franchise we lost our beloved John McKay too.....and he regretted leaving USC for, all of his days.

Edited by 1usctrojan

Just now, 1usctrojan said:

Thank you for your answer, I am truly interested.  Looks like Dallas and NO?  

Dallas and Washington were the 2 teams on TV here before the Panthers.  Most original Panthers fans were following now of those 2 teams.  Thats why Dallas seems to get a little extra sauce from fans.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, L-TownCat said:

Dallas and Washington were the 2 teams on TV here before the Panthers.  Most original Panthers fans were following now of those 2 teams.  Thats why Dallas seems to get a little extra sauce from fans.

I HATE Dallas.  I have my reasons, lol.

• Beer 1

29 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

I HATE Dallas.  I have my reasons, lol.

Then you’d love the 96 playoff game.  Crushed Irvin, put him out.  They put Deon Sanders on offense and all 4 LBers dog piled him head first into the ground. He gone.  Then it was “everybody meet at Aikman.”

Good times, if you hated those Cowboys teams.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Then you’d love the 96 playoff game.  Crushed Irvin, put him out.  They put Deon Sanders on offense and all 4 LBers dog piled him head first into the ground. He gone.  Then it was “everybody meet at Aikman.”

Good times, if you hated those Cowboys teams.

Going to look that up, up for some entertainment....as for Aikman....U-C-L-A sucks, always has, always will. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

Going to look that up, up for some entertainment....as for Aikman....U-C-L-A sucks, always has, always will. 

Watched it last week because someone here had posted it in a thread, Summerall & Madden in the booth. that was a fun team to watch, Mills and Walls both came up big, as did others. too bad they couldn't pull off a win the next week

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, 1usctrojan said:

Never knew NFL teams had rivals, or chants.  Thought that was just college.

I’ll ask an old John McKay question....which rival/opponent is the sweetest victory, which the most painful loss.  Regardless of the opponents win/loss history?

It's kind of a function of the structure. You have to win your division to get to the playoffs, so the other three teams in your division become your rivals.

The animosity between teams just kind of comes naturally in that situation, but certain people do "stoke the flames" as it were 😄

1 hour ago, L-TownCat said:

Oh and losses?  Yeah I dont really remember those.  Not sure its ever happened?

Good list. I would add the 2015 win over the seahawks, they had abused us for a couple of years before that game and it felt so good to finally beat them. 

• Beer 1