• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Athletic - Sam Darnold Film Analysis

hepcat

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

If we extend him for being mediocre, the war drums will be beating for Rhule and his staff to be gone.

How many games do folks think he has to win this year to be awarded an extension* going into next season?

(*assumes it's still considered bad form to let a starting QB go into the final season of his contract without an extension...possibly this is no longer true?)

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

If we extend him for being mediocre, the war drums will be beating for Rhule and his staff to be gone.

I see only two logical options; Darnold is the guy and the search is over, Darnold is not the guy and we jettison him.

With what we invested in Teddy, and now Darnold, I'm afraid we might get to the point of being pot committed so to speak.

Not that it matters at this point,but the when everyone was trying to argue Sam or a rookie, people lost track of that fact with a rookie you had 4 years to decide if they were the guy.  With Sam that decision is going to have to come rather quick.

Also I'm thinking Teddy might have been Hurney's guy so it was easy for Rhule to move on, with Sam there might more of a interest for it to work.

• Beer 2

I think we are tied to Darnold for at least 2 years if he stays relatively healthy and improves. If he goes from "NY-Jets Bad" to mediocre in one season that is still a huge jump. With an improved defense, a strong running game, and a couple of close games that we can win on the final drive or put away with a stop by the defense I'll be very happy. With what we've had around here since Cam got hurt several years ago it'd seem like we've won the lottery. We should extend mediocre especially if their are signs of continuing progress. Darnold's still young, so mediocre might still turn into pretty darn good after a possible extension. 

My only issue with an extension for mediocre play is if we pay superstar $ on a long term deal. The pay and length of the contract should match the performance. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

How many games do folks think he has to win this year to be awarded an extension* going into next season?

(*assumes it's still considered bad form to let a starting QB go into the final season of his contract without an extension...possibly this is no longer true?)

I don't know if there is an amount of games that necessarily gets him an extension. He needs to play well and conclusively show he is the future for us at the position.

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, Michael G said:

I think we are tied to Darnold for at least 2 years if he stays relatively healthy and improves. If he goes from "NY-Jets Bad" to mediocre in one season that is still a huge jump. With an improved defense, a strong running game, and a couple of close games that we can win on the final drive or put away with a stop by the defense I'll be very happy. With what we've had around here since Cam got hurt several years ago it'd seem like we've won the lottery. We should extend mediocre especially if their are signs of continuing progress. Darnold's still young, so mediocre might still turn into pretty darn good after a possible extension. 

My only issue with an extension for mediocre play is if we pay superstar $ on a long term deal. The pay and length of the contract should match the performance. 

I don't think mediocre is going to cut it. We just got rid of a mediocre QB.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think mediocre is going to cut it. We just got rid of a mediocre QB.

I agree, but if he's mediocre, he's a huge upgrade to our QB2 position. If he looks mediocre, I would assume he's going to be a journeyman backup QB. Extend him as such, and let him compete with/mentor/backup the new guy.

• Beer 1

I love Sam to pieces, but no, he HAS to be better than mediocre.  You just don’t trade for a 3rd year QB, pass on a few potential franchise QBs, to be average?  
As a fan, you don’t ever want to pick as high as 8th again....it’s do or die this season with Sam to show why your franchise took that leap of faith on his potential.

I can’t blame those that are not happy and skeptical, I just hope Sam will be that guy for you.....if he is, it’s going to be a fun ride.

By the way, Sam and Christian have birthdays a few days apart, they were out on the town with their GFs celebrating.  That friendship is getting closer and closer...good way to form a bond on the field as well.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, 1usctrojan said:

I love Sam to pieces, but no, he HAS to be better than mediocre.  You just don’t trade for a 3rd year QB, pass on a few potential franchise QBs, to be average?  
As a fan, you don’t ever want to pick as high as 8th again....it’s do or die this season with Sam to show why your franchise took that leap of faith on his potential.

I can’t blame those that are not happy and skeptical, I just hope Sam will be that guy for you.....if he is, it’s going to be a fun ride.

By the way, Sam and Christian have birthdays a few days apart, they were out on the town with their GFs celebrating.  That friendship is getting closer and closer...good way to form a bond on the field as well.

7 NFL Players Entering Make-or-Break Seasons in 2021 | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Bleacher Report agrees with you.  Its a make or break season for Sam.  When down in the 4th, he tries to make magic happen rather than keep his passing completion percentage up.

3 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

7 NFL Players Entering Make-or-Break Seasons in 2021 | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Bleacher Report agrees with you.  Its a make or break season for Sam.  When down in the 4th, he tries to make magic happen rather than keep his passing completion percentage up.

Ugh, bleacher report, I never read that site...I need to rethink my statement.

Just kidding.

A gunslinger is never average, a play it safe kinda guy.  No competent coaching staff would invest what they did in Sam not expecting him to be this gamer that can win those close games for you when he has to.  You gave up more than three picks, you gave up a fairly high selection on a reclamation project?  The coaches appear to see something far greater than that.

I hope you see get to see enough of those wow plays, come from behind wins that leave you breathless.  I hope that for Sam and Panther fans.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, 1usctrojan said:

Ugh, bleacher report, I never read that site...I need to rethink my statement.

Just kidding.

No, I get you.    I like the feed feature and that normally includes links to their articles as well...but sometimes they just totally miss.   

You gave up more than three picks, you gave up a fairly high selection on a reclamation project?  The coaches appear to see something far greater than that.

Yup and when they passed on Fields, it was clear they were committed.

We'll see.  

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

I agree, but if he's mediocre, he's a huge upgrade to our QB2 position. If he looks mediocre, I would assume he's going to be a journeyman backup QB. Extend him as such, and let him compete with/mentor/backup the new guy.

If he wants to return as a #2 for a #2 price, sure. I am down with that.