• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers: 5 big riddles Matt Rhule must solve at 2021 camp

SBBlue

link:Carolina Panthers: 5 big riddles Matt Rhule must solve at 2021 camp (catcrave.com)

Can the Carolina Panthers rely on Joey Slye?

What are the Carolina Panthers going to do with Brady Christensen?

How can the Carolina Panthers maximize Jeremy Chinn’s impact?

How can the Carolina Panthers keep Christian McCaffrey healthy?

How can the Carolina Panthers build Sam Darnold’s confidence?

Excuse me, because I generally really like your topics -- but does every article (so it seems) on catcrave.com have to be a topic here?

I don't see anything original in the questions raised above, that hasn't already been covered extensively on the Huddle.

I have to assume you're doing this for clicks to that site.  Tell me I'm wrong.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

13 minutes ago, bigdavis said:

Excuse me, because I generally really like your topics -- but does every article (so it seems) on catcrave.com have to be a topic here?

Yeah, I can see where you get that.  Cat Crave puts up a ridiculous amount of articles.  Literally 5 in the last 24 hours.  Its normally a couple articles a day and I ignore most of them.   

Its been slow with news so I tried to pick one that might generate something interesting in conversation beyond the Moton signing.  

I don't see anything original in the questions raised above, that hasn't already been covered extensively on the Huddle.

That's fair.  We do like to recycle discussion though.

I have to assume you're doing this for clicks to that site.  Tell me I'm wrong.

You can believe that if you like, but if you look, I link to a lot of different sources and quote the source so you don't need to follow the link to participate in the discussion.

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 5

25 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

link:Carolina Panthers: 5 big riddles Matt Rhule must solve at 2021 camp (catcrave.com)

Can the Carolina Panthers rely on Joey Slye? I believe in Slye so hopefully he's got his mind right.

What are the Carolina Panthers going to do with Brady Christensen? I think we will start mixing him in at guard throughout this year barring injuries and he becomes a starter at LG either late this season or next year.

How can the Carolina Panthers maximize Jeremy Chinn’s impact? Two words, Kam Chancellor. Move him around constantly depending on the personnel and scheme of the offense we're playing. I see him playing close to the line (disguised blitzs?) to keep the offense guessing. Have him cover stud TEs like Pitts. He needs to be where we believe the ball is going. Let everyone else do their job and let's funnel him to the action.

How can the Carolina Panthers keep Christian McCaffrey healthy? Rivera ran CMC into the ground. I'd like to see him and Chubba on the field at the same time and give McCaffrey some more looks outside. This can also setup end around runs to keep the defense on their toes. Other than that stop giving McCaffrey 90%+ of the snaps. At least carrying the ball...

How can the Carolina Panthers build Sam Darnold’s confidence? Establish a fuging running game.

Edited by Dex
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

I think the correct answers to #4 and #5 are going to be at odds with each other. 

To keep CMC healthy, he doesn't need to be on his pace of touches per game.   He lead the league in 2019 in touches per game.  And even in his rarely seen appearances last year, he maintained the same pace of touches that lead the NFL the year prior.   So Rhule's workload when he had him matched Ron's. 

But to build Sam's confidence...you likely will need it to be a CMC heavy offense as both runner and catcher.   Our OL is still pretty weak and Chubba IMO has growth in pass protection before he can really spell CMC.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Nope.

Good question.

Just keep him healthy.

How about not use him like he is the only player on offense?

Maybe put a good offensive line in front of him, so probably nothing this season.

1) Wish I could say ‘yes’ but have to agree until we see different 

2) I suspect they’re grooming him for one of the G spots but it’s an unknown at this point

3) Chinn will probably spend more time in hybrid SS/ LB role with more blitz responsibilities, so keeping him healthy is definitely a priority 

4) Amen to that

5) That’s the big mystery. In addition to getting the OL solved, coaching him out of some bad habits and not putting pressure on him to do to much which they seem committed to do.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

37 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

1.  80% of the time, they can rely on him 100%.  lol.  In all seriousness, the best thing they can do is not put him in a position where he needs to set an NFL record for us to win.  

2.  To early to tell.

3.  Give him some help.  And I think they certainly have tried to do that in the offseason. 

4.  Hopefully, he won't be in on every play this year.  That might help.

5.  Good offensive line, solid run game, and good defensive play so that he doesn't have to shoulder the load.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Prowler2k18 said:

1) Wish I could say ‘yes’ but have to agree until we see different 

2) I suspect they’re grooming him for one of the G spots but it’s an unknown at this point

3) Chinn will probably spend more time in hybrid SS/ LB role with more blitz responsibilities, so keeping him healthy is definitely a priority 

4) Amen to that

5) That’s the big mystery. In addition to getting the OL solved, coaching him out of some bad habits and not putting pressure on him to do to much which they seem committed to do.

I think Chinn is plenty motivated to be an elite player so I really do believe that all we need to do is keep him healthy and he is going to get better and better.

Darnold we just aren't going to know anything about until the games start. I firmly believe no matter how hard we try to fix him, the problem is ultimately between his ears. That is really gonna be on him to fix.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

I mean CMC has been pretty healthy. So thats really not an issue in my mind but I think picking up Chuba will definitely help with the wear and tear of the season.

I think this is high on most folks lists. Keeping CMC healthy is a must. And Chubba has a real shot at doing just that. The kid can run, catch, and is a pretty good blocker. I do expect him to get touches, the more the merrier if you ask me.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

I mean CMC has been pretty healthy. So thats really not an issue in my mind but I think picking up Chuba will definitely help with the wear and tear of the season.

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I think this is high on most folks lists. Keeping CMC healthy is a must. And Chubba has a real shot at doing just that. The kid can run, catch, and is a pretty good blocker. I do expect him to get touches, the more the merrier if you ask me.

There has been talk on podcasts of a soft-tank.

That CMC's injuries weren't necessarily as bad as we reported, but we knew we weren't going to compete last year, so we spelled him to save wear and tear for this year.