• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Training Camp - Sunday Morning Thoughts and Musings

Zod

2 minutes ago, joemac said:

Why do people take anything that is said in the media by players and coaches seriously? They give the company line in public and say a lot without actually saying anything. 

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

What did you expect him to say? “Nah, fug that, I’m strictly a right tackle”? 

The better question would be why people take fan speculation seriously when there's no actual evidence to back it up.

Nowhere have I seen any credible evidence or comment that Moton doesn't want to play on the left. It's pretty much just been fan speculation which is basically meaningless. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1

As I read this, my brain became active with synaptic energy, propelling me to grab the keyboard and begin this post.

1. Versatile is great when shopping for backups, but I hate to agree with Zod, but you want a pure LT if you can find one.  They are like QBs-many teams do not have them, many teams do not win Super Bowls.  I hope Moton makes the switch, and I agree with the idea of moving him there and giving him the reps now--if that is what you are going to do. It sure makes so many other problems on the OL go away.

Move Christensen to RT.  What a perfect candidate for that spot--athletic, strong...just do it (C) panthers.

2.  Many people believe what athletes say during interviews.  I was on a FCS college team back before all this social media--they coach you and train you to deal with the media--so don't hold me to what I am saying.  I was in competition with a guy I could not stand and he was better than me--and I was once asked about him.  My answer? "He is great. I am learning a lot from him (he was a SR).  He is a tremendous teammate..."  He was a peckerhead.  Coaches, Athletes learn to lie to a degree. Think "PR department material".  If Moton says he wants to play LT, do not believe him.  Does that matter?  Not really.

3. Versatility on the Inside OL is more important, not only because you need someone who can flip to the other G spot or play C, but because they must know what the other spots do.  For example, Elflein played C and G.  He knows the calls, the schemes, when the C needs help, etc. 

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Zod said:

Now that we have seen the Carolina Panthers in training camp for a few days I thought I would throw together some thoughts and musings I have about the 2021 squad. 

Sam Darnold

From what I have seen, Darnold has the arm talent to be a solid starter in this league. This means the coaching staff can truly own their decision to trade for Darnold and try to make something of him. Darnold hasn't thrown more picks than any other Panthers QB in history at this point, they all threw some here and there. Apples to Apples, he looks as good as any QB has for the Panthers at this point in the process. Now let's see what happens when he can't hold onto the ball for more than 3 seconds. Pads go on tomorrow. 

Left Tackle

I am discouraged when it comes to the offensive line in general and left tackle more specifically. When I see the Panthers media pumping up the idea of "we have versatile guys so there is no problem," I cringe. NFL left tackles play left tackle because they are good at it, not because they are versatile. If you want to put Moton there, fine, do it and keep him there all of camp and preseason. It is all about repetition and muscle memory. Pretending like they have an adequate line with the luxury of time to experiment will cost this team in the long run. It would have been nice to have seen a plan and have it implemented in a better fashion. 

Jaycee Horn

One of the positions you can really get a feel for even with the pads off is corner. I can tell you right now that Horn is probably the best corner the Panthers have ever drafted. Yes, even better than Gamble. Horn will make his presence felt immediately and will be a big reason why Brian Burns will take a huge step forward in stats this season. 

Terrace Marshall

Marshall not only passes the eye test for a rookie, but hell he passes the eye test for a veteran acquisition. He is a big guy that plays even bigger than his body. This is a start contrast to Funchess and Lafell, who always played much smaller than their stature. Mashall looks as good as Kelvin Benjamin did his first training camp, just not as many targets so far. Cam loved KB that first year and really have few other options. Darnold has Moore and Anderson in the mix as well. 

Defense, Defense, Defense

This is probably what I am most excited about this season. It isn't difficult to see how the defense is so much more comfortable this year than last. Their is a swagger now that indicates the players are more confident in their roles and that only comes from experience and understanding. By the end of this season, Brian Burns, Derek Brown, Jaycee Horn, and Jeremy Chinn will be big talking points with media heads on why the Carolina Panthers have the premier up and coming defense in the league. All of these players have all pro potential in the years to come. 

Thank you for the write up, Zod!  Super excited about the defense, and I wont lie, excited to see J. Carter take this next step.

2 hours ago, Zod said:

It would have been nice to have seen a plan and have it implemented in a better fashion. 

Its my belief that what we're seeing is the results of plan A, B, C, and D not working out.  Now its night at the improv.

2 hours ago, Zod said:

Yes, even better than Gamble.

Top 10 vs bottom of the 1st, he better be.  Especially with the OL situation. His value will be harshly judged.

2 hours ago, Zod said:

Brian Burns, Derek Brown, Jaycee Horn, and Jeremy Chinn

DPOTY, Pro-Bowl, DROTY, and Pro-Bowl, or something bad happened.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I like having versatile guys along the line.

With that said, I really want to see a starting lineup establish itself and gel before the season starts. 

Exactly.

Orlando Pace hasn't walked through that door so we're not entirely sure who's going to start at LT. It's 3 days into camp, like a proper coaching staff they're prodding and poking to see what they have in the OL room.

They'll settle down into a starting 5 soon enough.

• Pie 4

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The better question would be why people take fan speculation seriously when there's no actual evidence to back it up.

Nowhere have I seen any credible evidence or comment that Moton doesn't want to play on the left. It's pretty much just been fan speculation which is basically meaningless. 

Well that's what Rhule said. So whether it's completely true or not it's a significant source 

9 minutes ago, My Life Dont Matter said:

Yes, Erving is still getting snaps at LT and Rhule is the head coach still wants his players to play both offense and defense. Rhule hasn’t realized that he’s in the big boys league now, not college and high school. 

Tell that to Bill Bellichick. 

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

Exactly.

Orlando Pace hasn't walked through that door so we're not entirely sure who's going to start at LT. It's 3 days into camp, like a proper coaching staff they're prodding and poking to see what they have in the OL room.

They'll settle down into a starting 5 soon enough.

Exactly. It's  the first week of TC. There is still plenty of practice time left. Hellz, the first game is still over a month away. Fans see a problem. And they want it fixed NOW. No patience.

Calling the staff out for not fixing the LT spot RiGHT NOW, is way premature IMO.

21 minutes ago, My Life Dont Matter said:

Yes, Erving is still getting snaps at LT and Rhule is the head coach still wants his players to play both offense and defense. Rhule hasn’t realized that he’s in the big boys league now, not college and high school. 

So you ascertain that Moton is unhappy because of that?  Jesus Christ that is retarded even for you

3 hours ago, Zod said:

On established lines, sure, they play around to get guys experience. Problem is, they don't even have an established line yet and won't get one anytime soon if they keep dicking around. 

Those same coaches kept whitehead in the lineup last season. lol

First. If you don't move guys around, you will never find out what they can truly do. IMO, when you don't have an established line. This is actually the best way to start. Mix and match til you find the best 5.

Second. Let's wait to see how long it actually takes them to make the decision on the final 5. Then we will actually know whether to be upset, or not.

Lastly. It is possible that a 1st year Coach may not know what each player can do, especially the kids. So, they started Whitehead as he at least had some experience. 

Hey, at least once Carter hit the field, he never got replaced. So they did fix the original mistake. Just not as quickly as the fan base would have liked.

tl/dr version: I guess the moral of the story is. Fans and patience need to become better friends. lol Ah, who am I kidding. Patience is for other people.

• Beer 2