• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold and the RPO

27 minutes ago, ThPantherFan said:

I don't understand.  It's an option play, correct?

Read the links! It's an option heavily weighted towards hand off or pass.  Versus hNdoff or qb run.

People seem to think it means qb run. I'm not sure why nobody looks in to it before having opinions about it.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Moo Daeng said:

Hopefully with more rpo success tyan Rogers.

Green Bay’s RPOs haven’t been particularly effective."

Probably has more to do with Rogers ego more than anything else. He can do almost anything, but he should know that running isn't playing to his strengths. 

I'm not a fan mostly because you can't block downfield on a pass.   So the blocking scheme gets a complicated timing twist or there's no downfield blocking at all.  So for the run side, its either ineffective, overly complicated, increased likelihood of a flag, or some combination of all 3. 

I'm not against faking handoffs obviously,  but choosing run or pass during the play complicates 2nd level blocking for the run.   

As for removing the hats-up signaling, there are other ways to address that.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

I think people confuse the read option with the RPO.

Read option is what Shula ran here with Cam.  Some read options have a throwing component, yes, but mostly the read option is what Cam did when deciding to keep the ball or let Stewart have it.

RPO is when the QB reads the defense and decides if the play is a run or pass based on what he sees.

I don't think Darnold is a good candidate for read option.  Yes, he's decently athletic and mobile, but do you really want to expose our only real QB to any potential hit he doesn't have to take?  With this line?

I prefer Darnold focus on becoming more like Aaron Rodgers than Cam Newton.

Idris Elba Reaction GIF

RPOs yes. A dynamic talent at RB will force Safeties to move up and "cheat" a little against the run. CMC is a dynamic talent. 

If you did mean to say read option, then no way. Darnold isn't the type of natural runner you'd want to read keys in a QB-running read option setting. A predetermined QB keeper after faking the handoff - maybe something like a bootleg is more of his style. 

Cam is a freak of nature type of dude, absolutely no comparison.

If he becomes 90%-100% Cam the league may be in trouble once again.

He's not a quitter like Andrew Luck. Indy rehabs the guy, holds his roster spot and then.....he quits.

Im among those that think Cam deserved the same treatment Luck received because 80%-90% Cam can still win you football games. WE know that. WE'VE lived it. 

Darnold needs to play his game. He is a run threat but he's not a dump truck like Cam.

2 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Hopefully with more rpo success tyan Rogers.

"Aaron Rodgers has the most pass attempts on run-pass options (RPOs) in the league this season. He already has more RPO pass attempts through 11 games (34) than he did through 16 games in 2018 (24). But there’s a slight problem; Green Bay’s RPOs haven’t been particularly effective."

This link  reiterates what the RPO is vs what many here mistakenly think it is.

"The general idea behind the RPO is with a run and pass option built into the same play, the quarterback can use either a pre- or post-snap read to hand the ball off or throw. With the play based on what the defense is giving,"

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/the-green-bay-packers-need-to-improve-their-rpos/

The RPO is silly when you have a QB like Rodgers and his supporting cast.

You WANT him to drop back and process the field. Instead he's simply being asked to decide between handing the ball off to his RB or hitting the in-breaking route depending on where the defence lines up.

You have to have athletes on the outside that can consistently win match-ups for that to be successful. 

1 hour ago, Moo Daeng said:

Read the links! It's an option heavily weighted towards hand off or pass.  Versus hNdoff or qb run.

People seem to think it means qb run. I'm not sure why nobody looks in to it before having opinions about it.

I'm guilty.  Don't shoot me....unless it's a shot of Scotch. 

2 hours ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

Darnold’s DISASTROUS PICK 6 against Ohio State, which more or less sealed the game with 44 minutes to go, came on such an RPO, as he threw a hitch that a late-spinning safety easily housed.

Yeah, I read that, but honestly I think the articles speak more to a quarterback being able to read defenses and make the appropriate decisions. It's all about Sam making the right decisions! The RPO or at least its elements are a part of the game for better or worse, unless you're an amazing processor in the pocket like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

4 hours ago, ThPantherFan said:

I think you all are making it more complicated than what it is.  Just my opinion.

In modern football, the earliest RPO probably occurred on Texas high school fields. Chad Morris, who coached in the state during the 1990s, was desperate to find an edge for his offense, which ran the triple option, and had a lightbulb moment: “What if we read the [cornerback] instead of the [defensive] end?” His quarterback wouldn’t pitch the ball or keep it based on the defense. He would keep it or pass it deep.

Therefore it's run, pass, or qb run...but the QB has to be enough of a threat to take off for it to work or the QB can have Darnold's mobility but his decision making would have to be on par with Brady. Nick Foles used it against the Patriots. But Foles was smart with the football, Darnold has yet to show that in 3 NFL career years dating back to college.

• Beer 1

I gotta say...Darnold has sneaky speed. I'd say "almost" as fast as PJ Walker. 

I wouldnt say you have to use that speed but it would be to his advantage. 

I promise you he's taking off during the reg. season anyway at some point. I just hope he's taking off because of what he see's and not because its his only chance at survival. 

RPO's ... idunno ...breakdown runs ...YES